Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 10 Dec 2018, 02:40
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
ArtfulPup (& Upup-Bionic-Beaver-RC)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 34 of 49 [730 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, ..., 47, 48, 49 Next
davids45

PostPosted: Sat 10 Mar 2018, 21:04    Post subject: Pinboard drive icons
Subject description: Problem with adjusting lay-out

G'day peebee,

Downloaded your alpha beaver and made a manual Frugal install.

Yes, I have too many partitions with fourteen on each of two hard-drives Rolling Eyes , but on starting up UBB-alpha, the second column of partition icons on the left side of the monitor bundled the 'overflowing' drive icons at the bottom of the column. A third column was needed for the final few drive b partitions.

However..... I want to display my drive icons across the bottom of my (rectangular) monitor where they'll fit in one or two rows.
Trying in UBB with the previously working 'normal' desktop tool, and setting the drive icon location to 'bottom', only drive b icons moved to the bottom, drive a icons stayed as a left-side column (screenshot).

For 'fun', I tried to set the b drive icons to the right side and leave a wide gap so I could install pwidgets (as an sfs) to its usual place. Not quite successful (screenshot).

In artful, the drive icons display tool has worked for me in shifting the icons from your preferred location to mine (screenshot). The artful tool also let me remove the unwanted extra text detail (the partition label) that otherwise takes up too much pinboard space.

I see a change in this icon tool from artful to bionic (compare screenshots) which maybe an alpha-version 'bug'?

Even with my messy alpha-pinboard, I may try adding my usual packages to the UBB-alpha in the meantime, and see how they go - they are all fine in artful, so I'm hopeful.

By the way, does Ubuntu still do LTS versions (Long Term Support), and if so, which are they?

Thanks for your continuing contributions to Puppy.

David S.
drive-icons-after.jpg
 Description   resetting drive icons to 'bottom' only drive b moved
 Filesize   82.56 KB
 Viewed   1004 Time(s)

drive-icons-after.jpg

pwidgets-hides-right-driveicons.jpg
 Description   trying to move b drive to right side with big gap for pwidgets (fail)
 Filesize   69.42 KB
 Viewed   1005 Time(s)

pwidgets-hides-right-driveicons.jpg

artful-pinboard-good.jpg
 Description   artful allows re-positioning of many drive icons
 Filesize   121.27 KB
 Viewed   990 Time(s)

artful-pinboard-good.jpg

drive-icon-manager-new.jpg
 Description   bionic drive icon manager - new and has a bug?
 Filesize   54.92 KB
 Viewed   1000 Time(s)

drive-icon-manager-new.jpg

artful-icon-manager-good.jpg
 Description   artful drive icon manager works
 Filesize   58.66 KB
 Viewed   1024 Time(s)

artful-icon-manager-good.jpg

Billtoo

PostPosted: Sat 10 Mar 2018, 21:09    Post subject: Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects  

I installed to a 64gb flash drive:

System: Host: puppypc25427 Kernel: 4.9.86-lxpup-32-pae i686 bits: 32 Desktop: JWM 2.3.7 Distro: UBB-Pup 18.03
Machine: Device: desktop System: HP product: 260-p029 serial: CNV6240BWP
Mobo: HP model: 81B4 v: 01 serial: PFPSK0BWJ301LW UEFI [Legacy]: AMI v: F.04 date: 05/10/2016
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3-6100T (-MT-MCP-) speed/max: 800/3101 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel HD Graphics 530
Display Server: X.Org 1.19.6 drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
Card-2: Realtek RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter driver: rtl8723be
Drives: HDD Total Size: 2063.5GB (0.2% used)
Weather: Conditions: 32 F (0 C) - Mostly Cloudy Time: March 10, 7:51 PM EST
Info: Processes: 244 Uptime: 37 min Memory: 226.0/3898.7MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.56

Installed applications with PPM:Vlc-3.01,Smplayer,Smtube and more.
I added "intel_pstate=disable" to the kernel line of the menu.lst file.

It was saving too often so I edited the eventmanager file from 30 to 0.

Thanks.
screenshot.png
 Description   
 Filesize   91.57 KB
 Viewed   1014 Time(s)

screenshot.png

Marv

PostPosted: Sun 11 Mar 2018, 00:15    Post subject:  

Looking at dmesg while chasing video stuff. On this ath9k hardware, I had multiple
Code:
Process '/sbin/crda' failed with exit code 254
messages. It is because the country regulatory domain isn't set. Setting the county regulatory domain either in quicksetup,manually using iw reg set, or in /etc/default/crda did not get rid of them. crda is enabled in this kernel and seems to need wireless-regdb so I installed it using the PPM and the error lines in dmesg are gone and iw reg get now returns a valid country code. So far as I'm concerned it's one more thing that could be set to =n in the kernel config. Anybody ever ever use it?

Still chasing the video problem I referenced above (openGL vendor not found or loaded). Mesa versions don't seem to have changed, haven't done a kernel swap yet.

Edit: Kernel swap back to 4.4.59 from ArtfulPup. No change in video behavior. Other than the glxgears oddity, it's running great! (stock kernel). CPU cryptohash and FPU rayracing both 10 to 15% better than ArtfulPup and GPU Drawing more than double the ArtfulPup performance! Same computer, governor etc. Back to back tests. However; scrolling is much smoother (no tearing) in all other pups where there isn't the 'double buffer' error message and direct rendering exists.

Edit: HP4500 networked all-in-one printer set up and printing. Used hpliplite-3.14.3 (new enough for my ooold printer) and it went smoothly with no hitches.

Pups currently in kennel Very Happy LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64, LxPupBionic, upupbb and upupcc for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Last edited by Marv on Sun 11 Mar 2018, 19:17; edited 4 times in total
torgo

PostPosted: Sun 11 Mar 2018, 11:49    Post subject: Re: Pinboard drive icons
Subject description: Problem with adjusting lay-out

davids45 wrote:

By the way, does Ubuntu still do LTS versions (Long Term Support), and if so, which are they?

Yes, and this new one (Bionic Beaver) is one of them. The LTS versions are the releases in April of even numbered years. Lucid was 10.04, Precise was 12.04, Trusty (Tahr) was 14.04, Xenial was 16.04, and Bionic is 18.04.
watchdog

PostPosted: Sun 11 Mar 2018, 15:11    Post subject:  

Yes, it's an alpha release but I have to report one odd behaviour. I have frugally installed it to a usb hd sdb1 ext4 formatted. Grub4dos is installed on the main hd sda1 and on sdb1. I can boot bbpup through the sdb1's grub4dos but not through the sda1's grub4dos (error 2 processing the kernel line "bad file or directory type"). The hard disks are identified by uuid. One more thing: some iso files on sdb1 which I can mount in other puppies are displayed with a red triangle and cannot be mounted. The boot.cat in bbpup iso is also displayed with a red triangle. I'll investigate and report back. Perhaps a bad download?
pic.png
 Description   
 Filesize   116.95 KB
 Viewed   825 Time(s)

pic.png

OscarTalks

PostPosted: Sun 11 Mar 2018, 15:52    Post subject:  

watchdog wrote:
some iso files on sdb1 which I can mount in other puppies are displayed with a red triangle and cannot be mounted. The boot.cat in bbpup iso is also displayed with a red triangle.

Hello watchdog

Have a look at what shared-mime-info package is built into this Puppy.
Most recent Puppies are built with quite an old .pet version of this package, but recently I experimented with compiling the latest version (1.9) from source. At first I thought it was OK but then I noticed exactly the same problem with some .iso files and the boot.cat files being red triangles.

I did this because I wanted to add a mime-type for .opus audio files.
In the end I went back to the old version of shared-mime-info and figured out how to add the mime-type by editing /usr/share/mime/packages/puppy.xml

mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 11 Mar 2018, 19:23    Post subject: Bionic Beaver Wifi-Wep, frisbee fails SNS OK  

Not a serious problem, but i thought I should mention it. My router uses WEP. Running Bionic Beaver both SNS and frisbee see my wireless network. SNS connects, frisbee fails.

One other problem but too many variables to assess its significance. I registered wine-portable version 2.1.6. Other XP programs ran, but one which runs under other Puppies didn't. Best guess is that its some peculiarity in the program, itself, as it dates back to 1998.

mikesLr

p.s. See my next post, about 3 down.

Last edited by mikeslr on Mon 12 Mar 2018, 12:24; edited 1 time in total
watchdog

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar 2018, 02:17    Post subject:  

OscarTalks wrote:
watchdog wrote:
some iso files on sdb1 which I can mount in other puppies are displayed with a red triangle and cannot be mounted. The boot.cat in bbpup iso is also displayed with a red triangle.

Have a look at what shared-mime-info package is built into this Puppy.

Thanks OscarTalks! Restoring shared-mime-info-0.70-6.pet from noarch rep and restarting X solves the problem of red triangles.
mavrothal

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar 2018, 04:05    Post subject:  

It would appear that BionicPup can not handle wireless passwords with spaces.
This is across all 3 connection apps. Frisbee shows "invalid password" and the rest just fail.
Every other pup is connecting fine in the same network from the same hardware so I'm assuming is introduced in some recent woof-change.
Does anybody else sees that (to exclude any local voodoo) before start looking into it?

watchdog

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar 2018, 04:24    Post subject:  

libpangoft2 segfaults with libreoffice:

Code:
soffice.bin[694]: segfault at 676f7270 ip b188b718 sp bff332a0 error 4 in libpangoft2-1.0.so.0.4000.14[b1885000+16000]

Openoffice 4.1.2 works. I have a libreoffice 4.3.
mavrothal

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar 2018, 08:42    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:
It would appear that BionicPup can not handle wireless passwords with spaces.

It would appear that the SNS is an old problem, hopefully now fixed (as this posting would suggest)
The frisbee issue appears to be Xdialog rather than frisbee related as the /tmp/.frisbee/entry file is flooded with errors like
Code:
(Xdialog:30068): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 14:29:33.565: Two different plugins tried to register '\''GProxyResolverGnome'\''.

(Xdialog:30068): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 14:29:33.566: g_type_add_interface_dynamic: assertion '\''G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)'\'' failed
instead of the typed password.

Did not look at Network wizard Embarassed

Another little thing: The battery monitor is accurate at boot but fails to (monitor levels? and) update. Not sure if relevant but similar GLib-GObject-CRITICAL issues can be observed and a "resource temporarily unavailable" can be seen after that with strace

mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar 2018, 12:38    Post subject: Wine 3.3_v3.1 works : Save Works but notice? stay on screen  

Just an update to my prior post. Decided to try version2013's 32-bit Wine 3.3_v3.1. The XP program I had a problem with in my last post worked OK. [Guess I'll have to work on a new Portable-Wine].

However, when executing a SaveFile the notice remained on the desktop. Went out for over an hour and it was still there. Restarted-X which, after the desktop appeared, gave a notice "Saving?" which disappeared in a couple of seconds. Perhaps only a momentary glitch as the next Save worked w/o a hitch.

FWIW: The computer is an OptiPlex 790, Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz, Max Speed: 4000 MHz, Core Count: 2, Thread Count: 4, RAM: 7973 MB.

BionicBeaver is very responsive, perhaps the quickest to open applications I've tried. Really looking forward to its further development. Smile

mikesLr

Last edited by mikeslr on Mon 12 Mar 2018, 12:46; edited 1 time in total
peebee

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar 2018, 12:40    Post subject:  

Many thanks for all the feedback....
I've done a new build +2 with:
BUILD_FROM_WOOF='testing;cbb38a7e;2018-03-11 20:41:49 +0800'
delta
new iso md5 = 15edcdb6a84810aa6a474c89ce9f2b64 Upup_Bionic_Beaver-18.03+2.iso

shared-mime-info has changed in woof-ce, however I only see the problem red triangles for some old .isos which seem to have type model/stl.x-binary - but if you change the type to application/x-cd-image then they display and behave correctly. I can't see which bit of shared-mime-info-0.70-6.pet fixes this....

I was aware of the GLIB warnings and errors (e.g. type leafpad or geany in a terminal) but all the advice I've been able to find is that they are an aspect of Ubuntu development and can be ignored - but this is clearly not the case for Frisbee (Mav is correct that this is the cause).... I don't know how to get rid of them!

I haven't looked at Marv's kernel config issue yet - the delta still has 4.9.86
nor watchdog's libreoffice problem [EDIT] LibreOffice-6.0.2 seems to work fine
Screenshot.png
 Description   
 Filesize   33.66 KB
 Viewed   549 Time(s)

Screenshot.png

Screenshot(1).png
 Description   
 Filesize   12.63 KB
 Viewed   538 Time(s)

Screenshot(1).png

Screenshot(2).png
 Description   
 Filesize   23.2 KB
 Viewed   545 Time(s)

Screenshot(2).png

Screenshot(3).png
 Description   
 Filesize   20.12 KB
 Viewed   538 Time(s)

Screenshot(3).png

Last edited by peebee on Mon 12 Mar 2018, 14:03; edited 4 times in total
Sage

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar 2018, 12:41    Post subject:  

BB- alpha: Cannot get any video with Rad9550, not even setting pfix=nox nor CTL-ALT-BKSPCE.. Works well on old GF2.
mavrothal

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar 2018, 14:02    Post subject:  

peebee wrote:
I was aware of the GLIB warnings and errors (e.g. type leafpad or geany in a terminal) but all the advice I've been able to find is that they are an aspect of Ubuntu development and can be ignored - but this is clearly not the case for Frisbee (Mav is correct that this is the cause).... I don't know how to get rid of them!

You may want to try recompiling the offending apps (Xdialog, powerapplet_tray) and see if is getting any better.
Is there any devx?

Page 34 of 49 [730 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, ..., 47, 48, 49 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: