ArtfulPup (& Upup-Bionic-Beaver-RC)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
peebee

#331 Post by peebee »

mavrothal wrote:What is in these 6MB besides cryptsetup and friends,
Urrrhh - nothing else - the 6Mb is just the output from xdelta when it compares the 2 .isos.....

installing the .debs directly and including them in the image with 2createpackages in woof-ce may result in differences I guess but shouldn't result in what you're seeing.

I only see the hang on 1st reboot with an encrypted savefile.....

Are you installing 3 .debs:
cryptsetup
cryptsetup-bin
libcryptsetup4

??
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

hamoudoudou

Viva 64 bits !

#332 Post by hamoudoudou »

escucha wrote:I can not build an Artfulpup. No level. If I could I would in 64bit that checked in Tahr and Xenial I see better performance in graphics and video.
What a shame a actual, recent, project a day (October 2017) is reduced to only 32bit.
Sure no improvement plan for 64bit?

Artful frugal tested to complete satisfaction, except video jerking (64bit maybe?)
video jerking ? :) install apulse pet
64 bits allows fast transfer of files, downloads, but many 32 bits apps won't run unless as Tahrpup a special module for 32 bits added
these seasonal flavours as Zesty Artful Unicorn, Vivid are forgotten in the depth of the forum as soon as season is finished, by developers and by users. A 64 bits version will be time spent for training only, not for public release. Everybody will jump from 'a' to 'b' april 2018, perhaps before.
LTS is Xenial.. Next one will be Bionic. Linux Mint is yet preparing Post Ubuntu, Old Debian is the future.
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Bionic Beaver April 2018 BionicPup will be of more interest ubuntu.com/Releases

peebee

#333 Post by peebee »

oops!
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

watchdog

#334 Post by watchdog »

The built-in sylpheed has not gpg support for me. I have removed the built-in sylpheed and installed the following package from precise:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 954#943954

It works in artfulpup and it has gpg support.

peebee

#335 Post by peebee »

peebee wrote:
mavrothal wrote:What is in these 6MB besides cryptsetup and friends,
Urrrhh - nothing else - the 6Mb is just the output from xdelta when it compares the 2 .isos.....

installing the .debs directly and including them in the image with 2createpackages in woof-ce may result in differences I guess but shouldn't result in what you're seeing.

I only see the hang on 1st reboot with an encrypted savefile.....

Are you installing 3 .debs:
cryptsetup
cryptsetup-bin
libcryptsetup4

??
Installed the 3 .debs - no difference - still hang on 1st reboot with LUKS encrypted savefile....

However....
You can login on Terminal 2 by:
- pressing Alt+F2
- username root password woofwoof

but what then to look for????

mavrothal

#336 Post by mavrothal »

looked at the cryptsetup freeze a bit more (but no solution)
The system freezes at line 258 of rc.shutdown

Code: Select all

echo -n "$MYPASSWORD" | cryptsetup luksOpen $DEVLOOP savefile - # or luksOpen -v 
What baffles me is that the same command at line 641 of shutdownconfig

Code: Select all

echo -n "$MYPASSWORD" | cryptsetup luksOpen -v $DEVLOOP savefile - &>>/tmp/mk2fs.log
just before, to generate the (empty) savefile works just fine.
Is as if without X cryptsetup fails in artful.

Regarding the other freezes I mentioned, turns out after this it really messes up my setup to the point I'm afraid I'll have to scarp that VM after looking at cryptsetup a bit more.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

mavrothal

#337 Post by mavrothal »

Looked at LUKS a bit more (still no solution but a workaround)

Doing the entire process manually it would appear that everything cryptsetup=LUKS related works fine!
What is failing is the mounting of the encrypted partition.
No tsure if thes is due to newer version of cryptsetup or linux-utils as LUKS works fine in Xenial. Or maybe some other voodoo.

The attachment has the entire sequence of commands and explored alternatives in case someone has some idea.

Latter Using the static cryptsetup from the initrd with the 17.11 ISO, works as advertised. Maybe a workaround till a proper solution is found
Attachments
luks_output.txt.gz
(2.45 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

peebee

#338 Post by peebee »

mavrothal wrote:Latter Using the static cryptsetup from the initrd with the 17.11 ISO, works as advertised. Maybe a workaround till a proper solution is found
Many thanks @mavrothal....

Update 17.11+2 implements the workaround.

Sage

#339 Post by Sage »

The built-in sylpheed has not gpg support for me
Why are folks still installing Sylpheed when the fork Claws is so much more sophisticated? You don't have to load up all the extras unless you want the full pro. bees knees.
If you want excellence but smaller and older, there's a (32bit) .pet of Eudora knocking about. (I could probably supply a copy). It was US only language & nomenclature, but manageable in Queen's English; also some issues with encoding which never bothered YT. It was gifted to the Mozilla F. by Qualcomm a long time ago. They thought to incorporate it into Thunderbug at one time, but barely scratched the surface and Eudora OSE died almost a decade ago, ably assisted by the usual suspects.

hamoudoudou

Puppy is not seen, where is the truth.

#340 Post by hamoudoudou »

here you encrypt, other topics explain Puppy is not seen, where is the truth..
Bee knees (should mean someting else what google translates, crypted sentence for me)
Encryption i never use it. what is the danger ? Please explain why before explaing how..
How is explain in shutdown process in Our Puppies.
Last edited by hamoudoudou on Mon 06 Nov 2017, 06:13, edited 4 times in total.

sheldonisaac

claws-mail

#341 Post by sheldonisaac »

Sage (in part) wrote:.. Claws is so much more sophisticated..
Sage, I may adopt musher0's Xenial as my everyday Puppy. How can I get an .sfs of the latest claws-mail (or the best, if the latest has flaws) which works in that Puppy?
Thank you,
Sheldon Isaac
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

Sage

#342 Post by Sage »

How can I get an .sfs of the latest claws-mail
No idea about .sfs - never use them. Ask the developer. If you use a major Linux distro, you can just d/l it from their package manager - they all have it, it's the de facto professional standard these days. If you search, I'm sure Puppy users have used Claws before?

musher0

#343 Post by musher0 »

@sheldonisaac

I've created a claws-mail sfs and pet for the xenialPup. Please see my xenial thread.

IHTH
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

sheldonisaac

#344 Post by sheldonisaac »

musher0 wrote:@sheldonisaac

I've created a claws-mail sfs and pet for the xenialPup. Please see my xenial thread.

IHTH
Hi, musher0. Yes, thank you.
That's the one you told me of, at
http://www.murga-linux.compuppyviewtopi ... 430#972430

I've put together some old and oldish hardware, and have booted your Xenial on that computer.
I did the auto-install of claws-mail from ppm, and have started to use it:
Claws Mail 3.13.2
Thanks again.

Oh, maybe I've misunderstood?
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

hamoudoudou

Encrypt you savefile

#345 Post by hamoudoudou »

watchdog wrote:
mavrothal wrote: i was able to create both a lightencrypted and an heavyencrypted savefile at first shutdown after installing cryptsetup as suggested. The heavyencrypted savefile (crypta) works and can be mounted by filemnt: I copied the previously created savefolder in it. Is this the luks encryption you refer to? The last time I saw it was in xenialpup64 7.0.8.5 and the savefile had the "luks" suffix in its name. The lightencrypted savefile cannot be mounted: so, is lightencryption no longer supported as obsolete? And in this case why is a chance to create a lightencrypted savefile offered? Some advices are needed in my opinion about these news in puppy's encryption of the savefile.
For people who don't trust either their wife, children at home or thieves or Madrid or Barcelone or Moscow

Spouse and children ? Please add husband , father
Puppy linux in the past launched Saving process after shutdown so explanations about wife and kids were not available.
Attachments
encryption.jpg
Esposa y ninos
(88.82 KiB) Downloaded 757 times
Last edited by hamoudoudou on Mon 06 Nov 2017, 05:58, edited 1 time in total.

hamoudoudou

process works as it is, password asked during boot.

#346 Post by hamoudoudou »

process works as it is, password asked during boot.
My children are far now, my wife too. Could be very useful for many of you, to prevent anybody to play with (Break !) your puppy.
Don't forget your password :!:
Of Course let Basic ISO remains available for use.. It would be idiot to prevent your family to test Puppy Linux.. Only one computer at Home.. well..
S-kami will check for Hungary Puppy Linux team.. Gracias Vicmz para su trabajo ! Looking for ambassadors in Africa...
Nilson leads the dance for latinos, with Josejp2424.
Last edited by hamoudoudou on Tue 21 Nov 2017, 04:31, edited 1 time in total.

hamoudoudou

reboot keyboard is US.. Passwords refused !

#347 Post by hamoudoudou »

caution : when you create your password, suppose "amaedus" when reboot keyboard is US.... A is Q for french.. Think about it :!: pensez y ...

backi

#348 Post by backi »

Hi !
Artful Pup does not show my external usb-harddisk formatted Fat32 when inserted ......
the same goes for Tahrpup 6.06.
Tahrpup 6.0.5 does show and mount that Drive .......also Xenial Dog .
Is there somethings missing ....Drivers ---Programms which is included in Tahrpup 6.0.5 and Xenial Dog ?

Thanks in advance !

peebee

#349 Post by peebee »

backi wrote:Artful Pup does not show my external usb-harddisk formatted Fat32 when inserted ......
Any clues in dmesg??
What is output from lsusb??
Can gparted or pmount see the disk??

backi

#350 Post by backi »

Hi Peebee !

Gparted does show that external Drive. Pmount Does NOT .