Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Nov 2017, 22:18
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
GUVCView for the 32-bit Slackos...
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 04 Oct 2017, 06:51    Post subject:  GUVCView for the 32-bit Slackos...
Subject description: The classic cam capture package now works in 560 and 570...you're no longer stuck with luvcview!

Morning, all.

I've always used guvcview in the 'buntu-based Pups; it's a neat little webcam package for short-term capturing of odd items'n'stuff if you don't necessarily want to fire up bigger apps to do the job. There's been .pet packages available for this for a long time, but they've never worked in the 32-bit Slackos; until now.

Slacko's Luvcview works fine for simply showing your cam's output, but you can't record clips with it. As part of a 'rationalization' plan across my kennels, I'm slowly getting my favourite apps to work in all my Puppies, whether 'Buntu or Slackware-based.

This entailed a bit of a 'lib chase' (as was expected!), but it didn't take as much doing as I'd feared. I 'borrowed' many of the missing components from the guvcview package put together for Wary, which I run very successfully in Racy 5.5....and the rest came from Precise 571. Despite it being an older version, it seems many of the required dependencies are still the same.

You can find the Slacko GuvcView package at my MediaFire a/c, here:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/otruc0zsggqgr9g/GUVCView-1.5.3-s14.0-i686.pet

Apologies if anybody's already done this; I couldn't find any reference to it in the Forum if they have! Feedback would be useful, as always, please, if you decide to try this out.

Enjoy.

Mike. Wink

greengeek

PostPosted: Wed 04 Oct 2017, 15:33    Post subject:  

Hi Mike,

in answer to your question on the other thread - I have always used a version 1.7.3 guvcview pet successfully on Slacko 5.6. Dont remember where I originally got it from though. However I did not experience the specific problem that Mochi had with segmentation faults when he used the same version... I suspect that different hardware can generate different errors.

I just tried the 1.5.3 pet you have offered here and got the following:
Code:
# guvcview
guvcview: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-3.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

cheers!
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 04 Oct 2017, 17:42    Post subject:  

Hi, GG. Yes, I rather suspect there's more than a grain of truth in that statement.....although whenever I've made up packages on the big Compaq (which is 64-bit AMD-based), and then transferred them to the Dell (32-bit Intel-based), they've always run without a hitch.

But hardware certainly must play some part in compatibility, I'll grant you that. And, er.....I don't remember where I got the 1.5.3 package, now, either..! All I know is it runs in several of my Pups, on this hardware, flawlessly.....so it stood a good chance of running, on this same hardware (by isolating the necessary components for a stand-alone package), in the Slackos too.

And it does (which is the main thing).

Mike. Wink

Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Jump to: