How to resize builtin partition of availiable RAM?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Fijifutschi

How to resize builtin partition of availiable RAM?

#1 Post by Fijifutschi »

Hi,

if you run puppy only loaded to RAM your see a green cylinder at the right bottom. If you hover over it the memory for personal storage and free space is displayed. It looks like it part the total RAM into half.

Is there a way to change this e.g 30% personal storage and 70% free space.

Email to BerKlei@yahoo.com

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

This has nothing to do with computers RAM.

It is telling you how much free space is in the save file or save folder.
Puppy frugal installs use the save file or save folder to store any changes to Puppy.

Think of this as the available storage space for data, if you let Puppy choose where to store it.

You can manually put anything anyplace you want to.

Saving explained.
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SaveFile
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mostly_lurking

#3 Post by mostly_lurking »

Fijifutschi wrote:Is there a way to change this e.g 30% personal storage and 70% free space.
I think you have misunderstood these numbers a little. The one labeled "personal storage" is the total amount of storage space, and "free space" tells you how much unused space there is left in the storage.
bigpup wrote:This has nothing to do with computers RAM.
It does, if you are running a live/multisession Puppy. In that case, the personal storage space is held in RAM, and tends to be about half the total memory size. (On my machine, the available memory is ~3,3GB, and my personal storage is 1,6GB.)

I don't know which script is responsible for setting up the storage and deciding its size, but it would be nice to be able to choose how many percent of RAM may be used for storage - which, as far as I understand it, is also what Fijifutschi wants to do.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

One way to effectively increase the size of the personal storage is not to put personal stuff in it but only Puppy-related stuff. Personal stuff should be put in a separate drive or at least partition and Puppy's personal storage kept free for apps you install and settings you change from the default. Apps you rarely use can be stored in a separate drive or partition as .pets rather than installing them.

I've run Puppy from a multisession DVD for many years and that's how I do it.

Tag365

#5 Post by Tag365 »

I thought .pet files installed applications into the save file using up space? Please explain how does that work.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Hmm, I see I left out some useful information. :oops:

I use Puppy from a multisession DVD, so Puppy only runs in RAM. When I click on a .pet it does install in Puppy's Save space, or so I suppose, but if I reboot (without first saving changes,) this is all lost.

The disadvantage of running Puppy this way is that the settings of the .pet app are not saved. Every time the app is re-installed, it must be personalized all over again.

The advantage of running Puppy this way is that I can try out apps without worrying about screwing up Puppy. If something goes wrong, I just reboot without saving and I'm back to where I was before I installed the app.

If there is an app I use a lot, I click on the .pet to install it, then make whatever adjustments I want, then Save that session so that the app (and its settings) is there the next time I boot Puppy.