using Gparted to delete partitions and start over?

Booting, installing, newbie
Micahel

using Gparted to delete partitions and start over?

#1 Post by Micahel »

I deleted a partition with GParted using puppy linux 6.3 but when I rebooted the changes didn't stick, and yes I did apply my changes.

I'm currently having major difficulties with my computer. I created and mount partitions on my single OS Linux Lite 3.0 (no windows) and apparently did it wrong and now my machine is stuck in emergency boot mode and doesn't accept my password.

I'm hoping to use puppy linux to recover or repair my machine and help recover my work data or at least help me install another distro.

Thanks for the help.

mikeslr

#2 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Micahel,

When you installed Linux Lite did you select LVM (logical volume management) as the method to use in creating its partitions? Or if LVM was the default, did you fail to change it?

If either is the case, AFAIK gparted can not handle drives/partitions being so managed, which may be why nothing happens when you try to reformat.

If I'm correct about the above, the* solution may be to boot into Linux Lite (via CD/DVD or USB-Stick) and re-install it, choosing NOT TO SELECT LVM. Then you can boot into Puppy (via CD/DVD or USB-Stick) and use gparted.

As newer versions of operating systems also format partitions as 64-bit Linux when Linux Ext4 is chosen, and Grub4dos can't boot** Puppies from a 64-bit Ext4 partition, its best when formatting using a "non-Puppy" OS to select Linux Ext3.

Later, you can reformat using a Puppy as Ext4 as Puppies still format Ext4 as a 32-bit system.

mikesLr

* Actual install may not be necessary. Perhaps reformatting can be done from the CD/DVD/USB-Key; or the CD/DVD/USB-Key of a different OSes which offers Logical Volume Management. Worth trying before you spend the time on installing an OS you intend to uninstall.

** IIRC Grub4dos can read, but not write-to, a Ext4 64-bit drive/partition.

Micahel

#3 Post by Micahel »

mikeslr wrote:Hi Micahel,

When you installed Linux Lite did you select LVM (logical volume management) as the method to use in creating its partitions? Or if LVM was the default, did you fail to change it?

If either is the case, AFAIK gparted can not handle drives/partitions being so managed, which may be why nothing happens when you try to reformat.

If I'm correct about the above, the* solution may be to boot into Linux Lite (via CD/DVD or USB-Stick) and re-install it, choosing NOT TO SELECT LVM. Then you can boot into Puppy (via CD/DVD or USB-Stick) and use gparted.

As newer versions of operating systems also format partitions as 64-bit Linux when Linux Ext4 is chosen, and Grub4dos can't boot** Puppies from a 64-bit Ext4 partition, its best when formatting using a "non-Puppy" OS to select Linux Ext3.

Later, you can reformat using a Puppy as Ext4 as Puppies still format Ext4 as a 32-bit system.

mikesLr

* Actual install may not be necessary. Perhaps reformatting can be done from the CD/DVD/USB-Key; or the CD/DVD/USB-Key of a different OSes which offers Logical Volume Management. Worth trying before you spend the time on installing an OS you intend to uninstall.

** IIRC Grub4dos can read, but not write-to, a Ext4 64-bit drive/partition.
Thanks for the reply.

No I didn't use LVM, but I"m happy to say that my issue has been resolved and I managed to install Linux Lite 3.6. Although, I'm still curious to way my changes never took.

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

Might have been some sorta 'bug' with 3.0? Anything's possible with these here boxes of 'black magic'..... :lol:

Glad to hear you got it sorted, anyhow.

Mike. :wink: