How to remove Battle of Westnoth from menu and save file?

Booting, installing, newbie
Micahel

How to remove Battle of Westnoth from menu and save file?

#1 Post by Micahel »

I unloaded Battle for Westnoth by clicking on it in the quickpet game window but it persists in the menu pull up window, and is taking space in my save file.

How do I get rid of this thing? I don't see it in the package manager and I don't know how to uninstall anything on puppy linux using the terminal.

I do see the file on my usb stick but I'm not sure if deleting it is going to cause issues.

souleau

#2 Post by souleau »

Did you install Battle of Wesnoth through the Package Manager to begin with?

If not, where did you find the package? Was it a .pet package?

Try going to terminal, type in 'fixmenus' and hit enter. This will update your menu tree. Look to see if it is still listed.

If Battle of Wesnoth is in fact an SFS package, then the program package itself should already reside outside the savefile, preferably in the /mnt/home/ folder. If you unloaded the SFS of Battle of Wesnoth, and you have no intention of playing it anymore, then you can safely delete any files within your savefile refering to Battle of Wesnoth, as they would likely only be configuration settings and/or saved game data.

Micahel

#3 Post by Micahel »

souleau wrote:Did you install Battle of Wesnoth through the Package Manager to begin with?

If not, where did you find the package? Was it a .pet package?

Try going to terminal, type in 'fixmenus' and hit enter. This will update your menu tree. Look to see if it is still listed.

If Battle of Wesnoth is in fact an SFS package, then the program package itself should already reside outside the savefile, preferably in the /mnt/home/ folder. If you unloaded the SFS of Battle of Wesnoth, and you have no intention of playing it anymore, then you can safely delete any files within your savefile refering to Battle of Wesnoth, as they would likely only be configuration settings and/or saved game data.
Thanks for the response,

I didn't use the package manager I used the quickpet window and downloaded it from the games tab.

I used fixmenus in the terminal but it didn't work.

I see the file outside of savefile and found more references using grep. I'll remove them, but I would like to get rid of the empty links in the puppy menu too.

OscarTalks

#4 Post by OscarTalks »

What is your Puppy version?
It is always helpful to include this whenever you post any question.
If the program is not shown in the package manager it is likely that quickpet has loaded it in your system as a .sfs package.
In this case you should use Boot Manager or SFS-Load-On-The-Fly to unload it.
These should be found in your System and Setup menu sections.
If you do one of these it should remove the menu entry for you as part of the process.

Menu entries and content are largely controlled by .desktop files in /usr/share/applications
You can edit or delete these, but to then update the menu itself you should run fixmenus in terminal, but you also need to reload or restart the window manager afterwards so do jwm -reload (or jwm -restart). With a proper unload of a .sfs package this should not be necessary though, as it is done automatically for you.

If the game has been run it may be that it has stored some configuration files and data that is within your savefile. These would need to be found and deleted manually as the unloading of the .sfs will probably not remove them. They shouldn't cause a problem if you leave them there other than occupying space if they are large. You will probably have to search for them and they may be in a hidden directory (with a DOT at the beginning of the name) under /root. Click on the eye icon in ROX file manager to reveal these.

EDIT:- I just took a quick look in Tahrpup 6.0.5 and loaded Wesnoth from Quickpet.
The .sfs is large but SFS-Load removes it and removes the menu entry.
Data and config can then be deleted from:-
/root/.cache/wesnoth
/root/.config/wesnoth
/root/.local/share/wesnoth
(Directory and contents in each case)
Oscar in England