App windows won't fill screen in tahr 605 (Realy Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
number77

#31 Post by number77 »

bigpup wrote:For any window.

Are any of the change size options working???????????
None to increase the size.

number77

#32 Post by number77 »

Just loaded ubuntu 16.04 on to a spare hard drive and everything plays full screen on the hdmi output. Vlc too small or full screen like it does in xp.
Pity they are both bloatware, ubuntu is very large.

number77

#33 Post by number77 »

belham2 wrote:I know this is radical, but this point, I am all for blowing away all xorg-related stuff in your Tahr, 77, and then re-installing it alll over again via booting a Tahr live-distro
Tried that and it makes no difference.

bigpup

#34 Post by bigpup »

I have tahr605 frugal
If you boot not using the save.

Will the windows now resize??

If yes.
The save is bad or corrupted.

If no.

If at all possible, reformat the partition you are installing on.

Do a fresh clean install of Tahrpup 6.0.5 and start over fresh.

There is a chance the download of the Tahrpup 6.0.5 iso is bad. Even if it seemed to install OK.
Last edited by bigpup on Sat 09 Sep 2017, 03:50, edited 1 time in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#35 Post by Flash »

May I suggest that you first boot from a Tahrpup 605 CD, with the puppy pfix=ram boot option to bypass whatever's on the hard disk (except a swap partition if you have one; Puppy always looks for swap and uses it if it finds it), then install Pale Moon to see if the problem occurs? If it doesn't, follow bigpup's advice.

number77

#36 Post by number77 »

I always check md5 with download and written cd. I booted from cd, puppy pfix=ram, and palemoon was small size. The only way to fill the screen is: go to rhs top square and reduce the window, then bottom rhs and drag the arrow and it will fill the screen. Any video content played is the small size again.
Vlc will fill the screen if the arrow in the bottom rh corner is dragged and videos play full screen.
This is the same with the installed tahr605 on hdd and 64 bit tahr on live cd.

belham2

#37 Post by belham2 »

This is just a shot in the dark, but it's based off miserable problems I had from playing with Integrated Tv/Monitors all these years:

Could the actual graphics display command of the tv/monitor be overriding anything that Tahr (or any pup, for that matter) is showing/sending to it? I had (still have, actually) a Panasonic 40" 2005 plasma that has a display/grpahics mind completely of its own thinking, and tells me in its own silent way to go screw myself when I try to run various linux OSes on it. I tell it 1900x1080, it say "up yours" and displays 1366x768. Or I tell it to display 1600x1200, it will show 1900x1200. Go ruminate on that for a moment. Personally, I think the thing tried out for a cameo spot in Transformers I :roll:

I mean, number77, is there a puppy OS----any puppy OS----in existence, other than Tahr, that works completely flawlessly on this hdmi tv/monitor of yours? Has this been tested, or tried?

We squirrels might all just be chasing a nut (problem) that has actually been buried under 'another' tree by a nefarious, devil magpie :evil:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#38 Post by Flash »

If the CD still does the same thing, then we've traced the problem back to the original iso and it seems to me nothing will be gained by reinstalling anything from it. Other than that, I got nothing.

Any ideas, bigpup? Anyone?

Maybe, as Belham2 suggests, try some different Puppys (booted from CD with puppy pfix=ram) and see if Pale Moon works right in any of them.

number77

#39 Post by number77 »

belham2 wrote:This is just a shot in the dark, but it's based off miserable problems I had from playing with Integrated Tv/Monitors all these years:

Could the actual graphics display command of the tv/monitor be overriding anything that Tahr (or any pup, for that matter) is showing/sending to it? I had (still have, actually) a Panasonic 40" 2005 plasma that has a display/grpahics mind completely of its own thinking, and tells me in its own silent way to go screw myself when I try to run various linux OSes on it. I tell it 1900x1080, it say "up yours" and displays 1366x768. Or I tell it to display 1600x1200, it will show 1900x1200. Go ruminate on that for a moment. Personally, I think the thing tried out for a cameo spot in Transformers I :roll:

I mean, number77, is there a puppy OS----any puppy OS----in existence, other than Tahr, that works completely flawlessly on this hdmi tv/monitor of yours? Has this been tested, or tried?

We squirrels might all just be chasing a nut (problem) that has actually been buried under 'another' tree by a nefarious, devil magpie :evil:
Recently tried slacko, latest, no difference and others which I have forgotten now.
It does look like I will have to use ubuntu for my media server and keep puppy for my main use laptop.

number77

#40 Post by number77 »

Its time to give up mates but thank you very much for all the help on the way. Its the best forum and I do learn in the process even if you do get sick.
Thanks again.
Regards
number77

tallboy

#41 Post by tallboy »

Oh no, you don't, WE don't give you up yet! :evil:
You have to give us the pleasure of torturing you a little longer! :lol:

2 simple questions:
1) Have you tried to use a different windowmanager?
2) Did you ever use wmctrl? Run man wmctrl.

You can take a look here for inspiration:
How to make jwm or wmctrl resize browser window?

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

number77

#42 Post by number77 »

tallboy wrote:Oh no, you don't, WE don't give you up yet! :evil:
You have to give us the pleasure of torturing you a little longer! :lol:

2 simple questions:
1) Have you tried to use a different windowmanager?
2) Did you ever use wmctrl? Run man wmctrl.

You can take a look here for inspiration:
How to make jwm or wmctrl resize browser window?

tallboy
Rather unfortunately I am a beginner with almost no knowledge of terminal. so I think this is way beyond me but thanks for trying.

bigpup

#43 Post by bigpup »

It is a long shot, but I have seen posts that the GTK theme being used, has caused issues.

Could try changing to different GTK themes.
The only way to fill the screen is: go to rhs top square and reduce the window, then bottom rhs and drag the arrow and it will fill the screen. Any video content played is the small size again.
Vlc will fill the screen if the arrow in the bottom rh corner is dragged and videos play full screen.
After you resize by using the bottom rhs and drag the arrow and it will fill the screen.

Press the full screen button (right upper corner of window) and see if it stays full screen.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

tallboy

#44 Post by tallboy »

Rather unfortunately I am a beginner with almost no knowledge of terminal. so I think this is way beyond me but thanks for trying.
At great personal risk of being excluded from the forum, I see that I have no other choice than to reveal our big Puppy secret:
We're all beginners at something here! :lol:

I use an older Puppy, but they are usually built the same way:
In the main Menu, under Desktop, there is an entry named WM Switcher Switch between window managers
Open it and switch to another WM, and see if that solves your problem.
Usually at the top of the same Menu -> Desktop, you'll find the theme chooser mentioned by bigpup.

Please report back, a solution to your problem may be of great help to others as well.

tallboy

number77

#45 Post by number77 »

bigpup wrote:It is a long shot, but I have seen posts that the GTK theme being used, has caused issues.

Could try changing to different GTK themes.
The only way to fill the screen is: go to rhs top square and reduce the window, then bottom rhs and drag the arrow and it will fill the screen. Any video content played is the small size again.
After you resize by using the bottom rhs and drag the arrow and it will fill the screen.

Press the full screen button (right upper corner of window) and see if it stays full screen.
No it goes back to reduced size.

belham2

#46 Post by belham2 »

Number 77,

It's sad to say, but maybe it is time to "HIT" the nuke button on this install and start afresh. No more wondering if.....
Attachments
the-screen-size-is-an-ALIEN.gif
(106.35 KiB) Downloaded 287 times

tallboy

#47 Post by tallboy »

My last suggestion: Burn another Puppy to CD, and don't install anything, run in live from RAM. That way you can test all the modifications you want to, if it doesn't work, just restart from the CD, until you have found one that works.

tallboy

number77

#48 Post by number77 »

tallboy wrote:My last suggestion: Burn another Puppy to CD, and don't install anything, run in live from RAM. That way you can test all the modifications you want to, if it doesn't work, just restart from the CD, until you have found one that works.

tallboy
Hello
tallboy
I have tried quite a number of puppies from cd so far but am trying 431 out of desperation now.

number77

#49 Post by number77 »

belham2 wrote:I know this is radical, but this point, I am all for blowing away all xorg-related stuff in your Tahr, 77, and then re-installing it alll over again via booting a Tahr live-distro
I have tried that belham2, live cd in ram gave no difference. Virtually all progs. come out not full screen. The desktop is the only full screen I get.
What does ubuntu use as it works normally but its such a bloated os I am very reluctant to be stuck with it. I like puppy.
Any ideas anyone.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#50 Post by Flash »

What happens if you boot the same CD in a different computer? If everything works fine in a different computer, maybe a different driver would solve the problem. It's worth a try, if you can find a different driver and figure out how to use it.