XFCE 4.12 for XenialPup 64bit

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
Marv

Re: Still looking for a way to add Icon Themes

#91 Post by Marv »

mikeslr wrote:Hi Marv and All,

Thanks, Marv, for the detailed explanation. I decided that removing the Save icon from the desktop you suggested actually was more in line with my aesthetic. But rather than delete the section I commented it out.

Just a reminder. I'm still looking for a solution to this problem, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 125#978125.

mikesLr
Just for clarity, I don't modify rc.sysinit, I just put a line in rc.local to delete that .desktop in /root/Desktop. rc.local is called at the end of rc.sysinit so that works. I use rc.local for several things (icon cleanup, brightness fixes etc.) and much prefer having my personal quirks there. Pretty much what it is there for and easier for me to keep track of cross pups.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

mikeslr

How to Add icon Themes to Xfce pet and probably xfce

#92 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

Examining the themes which did show up at their locations in /usr/share/icons I noticed that within two of their respective folders was a file named "index.theme". [A theme called Rox is offered by Desktop>Appearance>Icons. There is no Rox folder at /usr/share/icons. Not sure how it's created]. Opening index.theme in geany revealed it was simple text file but would be a PITA to create.

The themes I had tried to install lacked that file. And, because the Rox icon them worked I wasn't sure if idex.theme was actually necessary. So, to avoid spending a lot of time writing such file, I downloaded the Orenchelo icon theme from https://www.xfce-look.org/browse/cat/13 ... rd/latest/ and unpacked it. It did include an idex.theme file. Dropped it into /usr/share/icons, restarted-x and voila :D the Orechelo icon theme became one of the available options.

Short version. Find an icon them which already includes the index.theme file.

mikesLr

mikeslr

#93 Post by mikeslr »

Marv wrote:Just for clarity, I don't modify rc.sysinit, I just put a line in rc.local to delete that .desktop in /root/Desktop. rc.local is called at the end of rc.sysinit so that works. I use rc.local for several things (icon cleanup, brightness fixes etc.) and much prefer having my personal quirks there. Pretty much what it is there for and easier for me to keep track of cross pups.
Hi Marv,

Seems like a good idea. But you kind of lost me. I located rc.local. It's in /etc/rc.d. However, scripting is not my strong point, to put it generously. The current contents of rc.local has several lines beginning with "echo enable" and two lines reading:

brightness=`cat /root/.config/brightness.conf`
echo $brightness > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

[One of which I would guess being an unnecessary duplication].

Absent from rc.local was any argument to delete anything. Could you provide an example?

Thanks in advance.

mikesLr

Marv

#94 Post by Marv »

mikeslr wrote:
Marv wrote:Just for clarity, I don't modify rc.sysinit, I just put a line in rc.local to delete that .desktop in /root/Desktop. rc.local is called at the end of rc.sysinit so that works. I use rc.local for several things (icon cleanup, brightness fixes etc.) and much prefer having my personal quirks there. Pretty much what it is there for and easier for me to keep track of cross pups.
Hi Marv,

Seems like a good idea. But you kind of lost me. I located rc.local. It's in /etc/rc.d. However, scripting is not my strong point, to put it generously. The current contents of rc.local has several lines beginning with "echo enable" and two lines reading:

brightness=`cat /root/.config/brightness.conf`
echo $brightness > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

[One of which I would guess being an unnecessary duplication].

Absent from rc.local was any argument to delete anything. Could you provide an example?

Thanks in advance.

mikesLr
The first 'brightness' lines come with the pup. There have been a number of approaches to that as hardware and kernel handling of it has changed over time but most of the X series pups save brightness in a configuration file and the first line sets a variable from that file and the second echoes it to a system file.
The line I add to /etc/rc.d/rc.local to remove the desktop item is

Code: Select all

rm -f /root/Desktop/save2flash.desktop
I haven't checked all of my kennel but I use that pretty much across the board. Other lines you may see commonly in rc.local are mount lines written by pmount to mount a drive on boot if you choose that checkbox in pmount and some usb wake stuff. I don't know if that is vestigial or not. wrt the desktop icon, I would rather have that set in in the X or windowmanager startup files. Seems cleaner to me to not have sysinit mess with X or window manager specifics but... The rm line in rc.local does the job simply for me.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

mikeslr

Eliminating the System-generated Desktop Save Icon

#95 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks Marv,

Your clear example helped in two ways. The first being solving the current problem. But, at least for me, the second is perhaps more important as I have difficulty learning languages. Since I knew what effect was sought, the example demonstrated both the 'words' and the 'sentence structure' of how to accomplish it. I did, however, look up the '-f' argument to make certain I understood it.

Thanks, again,

mikesLr

battleshooter

#96 Post by battleshooter »

Apologies I couldn't assist Mike, I'm glad Marv knew what the issue was.

I appear to have lost momentum again so I'll just post the pet I was working on based on the earlier discussion back in December. Consider it a beta as I know I was working on it but I wasn't happy with something about it.

It's got the new glib so no fstab hack, has Belham's cpu graph, Whiskers menu isn't included but if it's installed from the ppm (Do not install with deps remember!) most the buttons should work relinked to local Puppy software. Finally xfce4-screenshooter and xfce4-terminal have been added as well.

XFCE-4.12r6b.pet

Edit: Ugh, I'm up to r6, not r5, I didn't realize that. Guess I'd better reupload.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

steve_s

Love it!

#97 Post by steve_s »

Great distro! Wanted to watch Netflix on garage/gym computer, beefed up the gym PC to a slightly newer 64bit, put this on it and the google-chrome tahr sfs and boom, Netflix screaming along. But an added plus is how good my new OS looks! Great job!

battleshooter

#98 Post by battleshooter »

Steve! No way, haven't seen you for ages mate!

Glad it worked well for you 8)
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

johnywhy

#99 Post by johnywhy »

First impressions:

- noticeably slower responsiveness, compared to smaller puppies. On older laptop.

- wish it had search box in menu.

- no right click on menu items. (add to faves, add to panel)

- No faves on menu.

- could not get any Opera, Chrome , or chromium to run. Tried pets, Deb's, SFS, and PPM.
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

mikeslr

#100 Post by mikeslr »

johnywhy wrote:First impressions:

- wish it had search box in menu.
- No faves on menu.
- no right click on menu items. (add to faves, add to panel)

Add Whisker Menu via Puppy Package Manager. (Optionally, remove Start Menu Button, Replace with Whisker Menu. It has Search Box and enables you to add Menu items to the Favorite Category). Under xfce, to add any launcher to a Panel, you have to start by Right-clicking the panel, add the Launcher, then select "properties" in the launcher to add a "desktop" file or xfce-'widget'. JWM-Rox's Right-clicks don't work.

See this post regarding getting Xfce to recognize Puppy's Categories. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 867#977867

- could not get any Opera, Chrome , or chromium to run. Tried pets, Deb's, SFS, and PPM.

You know this is a 64-bit Xenialpup? Mike Walsh's Google-Chrome should work. See Additional Software Section, Browsers. Some version of peebee's Chromium might work, but you'll have to read the instructions on the LxPup thread. Opera is now based on google-chrome's test-bed, Chromium. There hasn't been a recent Opera64 since google apparently made it impossible to run as Root. No Puppy Dev has put in the effort to create an Opera browser which will run as Spot perhaps because it no longer is sufficiently distinct from other Chrome-Clones. Add Speed Dial2 New Tab to any and you have pretty much what had made Opera unique.

I haven't tried any, but you might try one of twister's web-browser builds, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 149#994149. These were actually created under Puppies, then the SFS ending changed to "squashfs". Change it back. Not sure, however, if they can be configured to run as Spot.

- noticeably slower responsiveness, compared to smaller puppies. On older laptop.

Not much I do about that.

mikesLr

johnywhy

#101 Post by johnywhy »

mikeslr wrote:Add Whisker Menu via Puppy Package Manager.

many thx, mikesLr, i'll try your suggestions. i suspected i needed Whisker, and was surprised it's not already installed in xenialPupX (at least as an optional panel item).

yep, i know it's 64bit. Will try the browsers you suggested.

Re Opera: On Mint xfce, i compared Iron, Chrome, Chromium, SlimJet, and Opera re RAM footprint and page-load speed, under various tests-- eg with many tabs open, facebook, youtube, etc. Opera consistently gave lowest RAM footprint and fastest load times. Maybe worth reconsidering for puppies.

Why is XenialPupX so big!? About 750MB. i tried to remove LibreOffice with 'Remove builtin packages' tool, but not listed there. Only "Get LibreOffice" is listed.

THX
Last edited by johnywhy on Fri 24 Aug 2018, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

mikeslr

#102 Post by mikeslr »

johnywhy wrote:. Opera consistently gave lowest RAM footprint and fastest load times. Maybe worth reconsidering for puppies.

So, there's another project for you. Examine how Mike Walsh and peebee create web-browsers which run as spot. Mike Walsh's Chrome thread provides a lot of info as to what he's done.

Why is XenialPupX so big!? i tried to remove LibreOffice with 'Remove builtin packages' tool, but not listed there. Only "Get LibreOffice" is listed.

THX
I don't have XenialPupX. Doubt it was included in Battleshooter's xfce pet package. Are you sure it isn't a loaded SFS?

johnywhy

#103 Post by johnywhy »

mikeslr wrote:So, there's another project for you.
thx for the assignment, mikeslr, but i prefer to "choose" my own projects :D

Why is XenialPupX so big!? i couldn't remove LibreOffice with 'remove-builtin' tool.
Doubt it was included in Battleshooter's xfce pet package.
i doubt that too. sorry if you thought so.

many thx to everyone who built this pup!
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]