How to 'sideways scroll' in Puppy with a standard mouse...

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Mike Walsh

How to 'sideways scroll' in Puppy with a standard mouse...

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, all.

Just made another neat little discovery in Puppy, although this one may be common to all Linux distros.....I'm not certain. Some of you may already be aware of this.....in which case, 'join the club'! For those of you who are not, read on.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------

We all know that in certain forums, or on certain web pages, the content of the page is wider than your screen's ability to display it.....or that, for some reason, your machine's graphics (or the browser itself) won't adjust the display accordingly. This entails 'sideways scrolling'; and, while many laptops can do this with the touchpad, it's next to impossible to achieve with a mouse on a desktop PC. Unless, of course, you happen to have a very fancy mouse. For most of us, this means using the scrollbar.

I use a Logitech T400 Zonetouch mouse (one of these):-

.....which doesn't have a scroll-wheel at all. Instead, it employs a 'touch-strip', which acts just like a laptop touchpad. Under Windoze, Logitech's proprietary mouse software (all 80 MB of it!) will permit you to scroll sideways, as well as up or down. Unfortunately, this feature doesn't work under Linux.....not even with the 'Solaar' open-source utility for Logitech mice:-

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/12/logi ... nux-solaar

Such is life!

I found out, quite by accident, a few minutes ago, that this can be achieved with a standard mouse, using one of the built-in mouse recognition functions in Linux. If you want to slowly scroll down through a very long web-page, for instance, by clicking on the scroll wheel, you get a 'four-way' arrow appear; by then moving the cursor either above or below this, the screen will automatically scroll up or down without you having to hold the mouse.

I just discovered, on a 'wider than usual' web-page, where I was using the above to view a long list, that if you move the mouse to the left or right of this 'four-way arrow', it will also scroll sideways.

Which is a neat way of performing this sometimes fiddly operation..... :D

Mike. :wink: