Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 20 Aug 2018, 17:08
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Auto-build a Puppy iso; single script with optional gui
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 19 of 19 [276 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 17, 18, 19
wiak

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun 2018, 04:30    Post subject:  

Hi David and peebee,

I'm not on a Puppy at the moment. If I was, easiest is just to run makpup in gui mode with 'makepup -g' and the drop down will tell you which numbers to use for which distributions for those using commandline mode such as yourself david. However, I think it is:

Code:
-t --target (TARGETARCH): 1 is arm; 2 is x86; 3 is x86_64

-d --distro (COMPATDISTRO): 1 is debian; 2 is devuan; 3 is slackware; 4 is trisquel; 5 is ubuntu

-r --release (COMPATVERSION): 1 is UbuntuPupBB32 or UbuntuTahr64; 2 is UbuntuTahr32 or UbuntuXenial64; 3 is UbuntuXenial32

In which case, for UbuntuPupBB32 you would want (if I've coded correctly? - which is looking doubtful...):

Code:
-t 2 -d 5 -r 1

Or here are the code lines that I use in makepup to find the different combinations:

Code:
    <text><label>$(gettext 'target architecture [-t]: ')</label></text>
   <combobox>
     <variable>TARGETARCH</variable>
     $(combobox_list 2:x86 1:arm 2:x86 3:x86_64)
    </combobox>

<text><label>$(gettext 'distro base [-d]: ')</label></text>
    <combobox> 
     <variable>COMPATDISTRO</variable>
     $(combobox_list 3:slackware 1:debian 2:devuan 3:slackware 4:trisquel 5:ubuntu)
    </combobox>

<text><label>$(gettext 'release version [-r]: ')</label></text>
    <combobox> 
     <variable>COMPATVERSION</variable>
     $(combobox_list 3:Slackware14.2 1:DebianStretch 1:DevuanAscii 1:Slackware14.0 1:UbuntuPupBB32 1:UbuntuTahr64 1:TrisquelBelenos 2:Slackware14.1 2:UbuntuTahr32 2:UbuntuXenial64 3:Slackware14.2 3:UbuntuXenial32)
    </combobox>

However, when I upgraded makepup to hopefully find UbuntuPupBB32, I didn't really test it because was in middle of other work, but relied on feedback to tell me if I got it wrong. According to what peebee has written in post above, I seem to have indeed got the code in makepup gui wrong, but my system has run out of space so I have no Puppy on here to test, so please let me know if I have to change the combinations in makepup code and I'll fix it...

EDIT: Just had a look at woof-CE on github and I note that trisquel seems to have been removed, which would change the number ordering. Alas, whoever makes these numeric changes didn't inform me and that ordering is of course required by makepup. Please let me know what current numberings are and I'll alter makepup accordingly (looks like ubuntu in now --distro 4, or maybe trisquel is still there and I've just not noticed it - been a while since I checked).

EDIT: Looks like -t 2 -d 4 -r 2 might indeed be correct and I'll have to modify makepup accordingly. If so, I'll install a pup to a usb in the next day or less and do a quick manual woof-CE puppy build to check the current numeric values needed and modify makepup accordingly - sorry about that...

wiak
davids45

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun 2018, 19:29    Post subject: Numbers and Pups
Subject description: (Why I never play Lotto)

G'day wiak & peebee,

Thanks for your quick and informative replies about my number choices in makepup's config not giving me a BionicPup.

I'll try 2-4-2 and if that's no good, maybe 2-4-1.

Fairly quickly if I watch what's happening on my monitor, I can see the basic Pup being built - if I don't like it, I can stop makepup. Last night I tried 2-5-4 and could see it was still a Xenial Pup being made, so just killed makepup on the terminal, shut down the computer, and went to bed.

Once I get the right Bionic settings, I can try removing default packages I don't want and adding in my preferred ones in one form or another, plus add config files and the like (as .pets) for my desktop.

Then I can try switching kernels to maybe improve boot speed and general Puppy operation.
Incomplete pinboard display during booting is my main new-Puppy bugbear at present, fixed with clicking a pinboard icon linked to a script to restart-X. Maybe I'm loading too many sfs files (with pinboard icons) and have too many partitions (lately, these are very slow to display across the pinboard).

Anyway, makepup should let me try options to improve my particular/peculiar situation (if possible).

Thanks both again.

David S.
wiak

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jun 2018, 02:19    Post subject:  

Hello David,

Yes, the loss of trisquel changed all the numbers so I'll have to upload a different makepup version. In the meantime, post 2 of this thread (at top) gives some examples of current numeric values that should sort your problems out. Meanwhile, I'll fix the numbers in next release for makepup.

Current numeric values examples in post 2 of this thread here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=965543#965543

So, currently, for 32bit upupbb, you do indeed need -t 2 -d 4 -r 2

wiak
wiak

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jun 2018, 02:44    Post subject: makepup v. 0.1.6 release announcement  

makepup version 0.1.6 uploaded.

To first post of this thread, here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=965541#965541

Following Trisquel selection being removed in woof-CE, this new makepup version hopefully fixes numeric values for distribution selection, but needs testing, thanks.

uPupBB32 is currently the default build (i.e. -t 2 -d 4 -r 2)

But please note the following post from PeeBee regarding kernels for uPupBB32:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=994107#994107

EDIT: Note that you do get one popup window during uPupBB32 build (and maybe any Ubuntu?); I can't remember why sorry or if you can just ignore it (please let me know), though I think someone drew attention to this earlier in the thread somewhere... I'd have to study the woof-CE scripts again to remove that popup and don't have time at the moment, sorry. EDIT2: I think now that the popup just vanishes of its own accord if ignored.

EDIT2: I wouldn't recommend building a pup on a usb stick via usb2 interface - that takes forever (very slow), but fine on a hard drive partition in my experience.

wiak
davids45

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jun 2018, 20:27    Post subject: Manual kernel selection
Subject description: in kernel2add directory

G'day wiak,

Thanks for taking the time to update makepup to 0.1.6. I'll give it a go or two later today.

Regarding the kernel to be used, is it still true to your recollection that putting the 'huge-kernel' tar.bz desired into the /local-repositories/kernel2add directory will override any other kernel in the config file (or will if I delete any kernel number in the config file line about the kernel to use)?

David S.
wiak

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jun 2018, 20:42    Post subject: Re: Manual kernel selection
Subject description: in kernel2add directory

davids45 wrote:

Regarding the kernel to be used, is it still true to your recollection that putting the 'huge-kernel' tar.bz desired into the /local-repositories/kernel2add directory will override any other kernel in the config file (or will if I delete any kernel number in the config file line about the kernel to use)?

David S.

Yes, am far as I remember that should override other kernels that appear in the hugekernel list (what you can see in dropdown list when running makepup in gui mode). There is a config file, _00build.conf, where a distro-builder COULD specifically specify a particular kernel that MUST be used: for example debian stretch 32bit build has specified in its _00build.conf:

KERNEL_TARBALL_URL=http://smokey01.com/radky/Woof/kernel-4.1.48-stretch/huge-4.1.48-stretch.tar.bz2

and to use a different kernel the builder would first need to comment out that line. But generally distribution creators on woof-CE don't seem to have forced kernels in that manner. For example, in the case of upupbb that KERNEL_TARBALL_URL line is already commented out in its _00build.conf so just drag/dropping new huge kernel into that kernel2add directory provided by makepup should work fine I think.

wiak
Page 19 of 19 [276 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 17, 18, 19
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: