Auto-build a Puppy iso; single script with optional gui

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
musher0

#121 Post by musher0 »

@Pelo:

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticisme

If I can say: "Maybe God does not exist," I am an agnostic.

What does the qualifier "agnostic" have to do with wiak's excellent script?

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Terry H

#122 Post by Terry H »

musher0 wrote:@Pelo:

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticisme

If I can say: "Maybe God does not exist," I am an agnostic.

What does the qualifier "agnostic" have to do with wiak's excellent script?

BFN.
It was used by peebee in a post prior to pelo's query:

Kernels are pretty agnostic to the base system...

davids45

...works in mysterious ways.

#123 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

Being irreligious and not afraid to go where angels, etc, fear to tread, I tried a mixed makepup of a Dpup Stretch with a Xenial kernel from the list.

I did this modifying the config file (screenshot) then running makepup (008) from the terminal.

All went well although I did need to enter a proceed with one box popping up during the process that I hadn't encountered before (with matching distros and kernels).

I made a new Frugal from the resulting files and loaded it up with my usual collections of sfs, pets, symlinks and other suspects. Screenshot has all my regular programs as desktop icons.

The few problems were as I'd found in earlier Stretch Pups (e.g. printing fails because the ghostscript/gstoraster is faulty and needs an older version; gimp-2.8 needs a missing lib to work with jpg files).

So a success :D !

However .... :? , pwidgets reports the kernel as 4.1.38 which is not in the list from wiak and was not as per the makepup.conf file.

Can someone explain this apparent mis-match?

Thanks.

David S.
Attachments
makepup-config.jpg
hoping for Debian Stretch with Xenial huge-4.9.13 kernel
(74.54 KiB) Downloaded 683 times
makepupstretch-xenialkernel.jpg
Not the kernel I was expecting (xenial-4.9.13).
(121.94 KiB) Downloaded 682 times

musher0

#124 Post by musher0 »

Congratulations for your successful build, Davids45 !
And for integrating to it that "signature" desktop of yours!!! ;)

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

wiak

Re: ...works in mysterious ways.

#125 Post by wiak »

davids45 wrote: However .... :? , pwidgets reports the kernel as 4.1.38 which is not in the list from wiak and was not as per the makepup.conf file.

Can someone explain this apparent mis-match?

Thanks.

David S.
Yes.

ttuuxxx, for some reason, choose to 'force' the use of that kernel by including the following lines in that Debian Stretch _00build.conf file (which overrides any other kernel choice). Personally, I think that is a pity, but I understand ttuuxxx maybe has the opinion that that particular kernel is best for this distribution (or perhaps not easy to have that one included in the main ibiblio repo - only a few people have access rights to that I believe):

Extract from _00build.conf that woof-CE provides when building a Debian Stretch:

Code: Select all

## Kernel tarball URL
## avoid being asked questions about downloading/choosing a kernel
KERNEL_TARBALL_URL=http://smokey01.com/ttuuxxx/WoofCe/kernel-4.1.38-stretch/huge-4.1.38-stretch.tar.bz2
I guess you could comment out that line and rebuild again with kernel of your own choice (or during the build process, before the huge kernel is sorted out, you could edit that file and comment out that line).

The kernel choice is actually made by the woof-CE script support/huge_kernel.sh. makepup is actually able to automatically modify such scripts during the build process, so actually I could override _00build.conf via makepup modifying either _00build.conf itself, or huge_kernel.sh (via makepup's sed routines). However, I do not, by default, want makepup to, aside (mainly) from auto-dialogue answering, override default woof-CE behaviour; agnostic or otherwise, I do not want makepup to take the role of some god or other (so up to the woof-branch-distro creator to decide such matters in the way they implement things in woof-CE itself).

Later, however, I may consider adding an advanced option to makepup to allow it to add some 'extras' not provided by woof-CE itself (on an optional-to-use third gui tab perhaps) - especially in the area of adding more packages from other sources perhaps (sc0ttman's proposed commandline package manager could useful assist with that). Having said that, best IMO is if any such extra facilities are implemented in woof-CE itself, in which case makepup would remain primarily as no more than an auto-build frontend (but I'd add to it any such new woof-CE facilities). Main thing for me is to keep makepup user interface, simple as it is, and single button "build a Pup" mechanism. No hurry, looking forward to future as woof-CE develops ever onwards.

wiak

Sailor Enceladus

Re: ...works in mysterious ways.

#126 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

davids45 wrote:The few problems were as I'd found in earlier Stretch Pups (e.g. printing fails because the ghostscript/gstoraster is faulty and needs an older version; gimp-2.8 needs a missing lib to work with jpg files)
Hi davids45,

Can you post a link or attachment to which version or files you had to download to get printing to work?

Also, does this printing trick by cthisbear help at all?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 228#967228

davids45

#127 Post by davids45 »

G'day wiak,

Thanks for your reply re my kernel confusion.

Meantime, I'd tried a couple more Pup mixes, using the gui, with mixed results.

I captured the point in the successful makepup run where I had to press <Enter> for it to proceed to produce the Pup. I hope this may be helpful or meaningful.

For 'something completely different', I last night tried the 'Trisquel' settings, not knowing what 'Trisquel' is or would be like.
This makepup failed with the Error message in the screenshot.

I'll see if I can adapt your suggestions re Stretch and continue to try some more makepup combinations.

David S.
Attachments
makepup-Pause.png
Pause during makepup test - I hit Enter and makepup continued to successful make
(28.1 KiB) Downloaded 451 times
makepup-trisquel-fail.png
trisquel try - stopped with this screen.
(40.67 KiB) Downloaded 447 times

wiak

#128 Post by wiak »

Hi David,

The Stretch issue may be how it is setup on woof-CE, so I wouldn't want to work round that via makepup - rather, the Stretch distro creator on woof-CE would have to look into it sometime. Remember makepup generally just produces what woof-CE supplies.

Similarly with Trisquel. I suspect that one may not be being maintained - I don't know. I just put it in the makepup list because woof-CE claimed it was available - but these matters need kept up to date. But if I do come across what is causing the problems I'll endeavour to get them fixed.

Currently, slacko and xenialpup seem to be reliable, and stretch not too bad, and that's not a bad combination of offerings.

wiak

davids45

#129 Post by davids45 »

G'day wiak,

Thanks for the explanation.

I've already got most of the current Woof-CE Pups (32-bit) as iso downloads from the various developers, on two Frugals partitions.

But I'm interested in making my own to maybe learn a bit. I haven't yet deleted an existing Pup to replace it with a makepup version ... but it's probably not far off.

Particularly if I can add missing libs and change some default applications, if I can.

David S.

musher0

#130 Post by musher0 »

Hello all.

Regarding DPupStretch-7.0:
I tried to find a 3.16.43 kernel on Smokey01's repo and couldn't find it.
Maybe I didn't look hard enough or it's elsewhere...

In any case, I remembered I had a copy within a StetchPup that billtoo, I
believe, built last Spring, so I'm making it available separately here:
https://augras.eu/documents/ws-default/ ... Noyau-3.16

In that directory, you have:
-- the "Huge" 3.16 kernel as a bz2 archive
-- the source as an sfs archive (which you'll need if you wish to compile
a driver for the 3.16 kernel)
-- the vmlinuz, initrd and zdrv files in a zip archive, if you have built a
StretPup with the 4.1.38 kernel through wiak's automaton script AND you
wish to change down to 3.16 kernel.

How-to:
-- unzip the kernel archive
-- open the resulting iso with the 4.1.38 kernel in ISOMaster
-- squish the vmlinuz, initrd and zdrv files in the iso with the 3.16 ones you
just unzipped
-- save the new iso
-- burn it to disc.

Why I'm doing this:
-- kernel 4.1.38 comes to end-of-life at kernel.org this month (Sept. 2017).
I'm not inventing anything; please see
https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html.

-- on the other hand, kernel 3.16 will be supported on kernel.org until early
2020, which means for another two years and a half. This is important
if you want to keep your DPupStretch for a few years because the
maintainer at kernel.org will be updating kernel 3.16 with new drivers as
they are invented/needed until April 2020;

- the reverse reasoning is this: kernel 4.1.38 will receive NO updates and
no new drivers, starting this month. It's probably in kernel.org's garbage
bin already.

-- kernels with lower numbers tend to demand less of older computers.

I've tried a StretchPup with a kernel 4.1.38 and it runs fine on my machine.
The above is explaining a fall-back position.

If you have any questions concerning this, please ask?

~~~~~~~~

Finally, since wiak was unsure about DPupStretch builds, I'd like to share
my experience building DPupStretch (rationalize branch) with his automaton.

I did two builds of DPupStretch-7 with wiak's script. Both went very
well. The initial run, downloading everything, took an hour and a half. The
2nd one took +/- 18 minutes, using the material downloaded the 1st time.
(Screen shots attached.)

IHTH.
Attachments
echinus-is-awesome3-800x450.jpg
If you'd rather have a tiling WM on your DPupStretch, here is echinus.
(87.03 KiB) Downloaded 403 times
DPupStretch-7.0a1-icewm-799x449-2.jpg
Icewm WM running on DPupStretch-7 built with wiak's automaton script.
(92.79 KiB) Downloaded 409 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

watchdog

#131 Post by watchdog »

I'm going to attempt to build xenialpup-7.0.8.1 32 bit. Is woof-ce developed about it? There was an issue about a bug of syslinux with resulting unbootable iso when burned on cd. Is that solved in woof-ce?

davids45

404 Errors stopping makepup process

#132 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

More playing around with makepup, some success, some failure.

I may have found how to remove unwanted pet programs being included in a new Pup. In my case, I'd like to remove abiword, gnumeric, goffice and sylpheed, as I use other packages via my loaded-at-boot sfs.

The critical .pet listing seems to be in text files with names starting "DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-XXXX" (XXX=the particular distro release chosen) which are stored deep in the makepup directory.
I found other .pet lists in various places but deleting the pet line or changing 'yes' to 'no' at the line beginning for these pets didn't alter the outcome.

I also deleted these pets from the pet directory in makepup.

I'd like also to add some pets - e.g. seamonkey, printer driver, scanner driver, ink level and wallmaker - which I've copied to the pets directory and added some lines to the end of the DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS list (screenshot), without knowing the needed syntax involved, so this may need more trials to get right, if it actually is the way to add pets into a Pup via makepup :oops: .

But now I cannot get makepup to complete its processing, with a 404 error being reported and the terminal closing (screenshot). This has occurred with all recent tries for tahrs and slackos. Maybe in hunting around looking for the way to add or subtract .pets I've caused the problem but I don't read the closing message as anything to do with the pets in the Pup.

Advice welcomed on either adding pets or making makepup run again.

David S.
Attachments
extra-lines-maybe-extra-pets.jpg
added lines at end of pet pkgs list for my extra pets - I'm guessing the syntax needed
(91.07 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
makepup-ERROR-404s.jpg
recent makepup tries end this way
(105.51 KiB) Downloaded 286 times

peebee

Re: 404 Errors stopping makepup process

#133 Post by peebee »

davids45 wrote:without knowing the needed syntax involved
No version numbers in woof-out_****/DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-****

Single entry for .pets - yes|pkg||exe,dev,doc,nls

Double entry for DISTRO_COMPAT packages - yes|pkg|pkg|exe,dev,doc,nls

but all entries must have a corresponding entry in at least one of:
woof-out_****/Packages-puppy-****-official
if they're pets

or
woof-out_****/Packages-****-official
if they're DISTRO_COMPAT packages
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

LateAdopter

Re: 404 Errors stopping makepup process

#134 Post by LateAdopter »

peebee wrote:No version numbers in woof-out_****/DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-****
Note: some Ubuntu packages include the version as part of the name as well as having a version number e.g. libllvm5.0_5.0-1~gd~x_amd64.deb

I only know this because ninaholic did an update to woof-ce to change the version of llvm.
I presume there is a need to support more than one version at once.

wiak

#135 Post by wiak »

davids45 wrote: I'd like also to add some pets - e.g. seamonkey, printer driver, scanner driver, ink level and wallmaker - which I've copied to the pets directory and added some lines to the end of the DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS list
Peebee, I note, gave this example in woof-CE needs you thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 491#956491

Also, look at the alternative post immediately under that one (re; rootfs-packages).

EDIT1: Note that makepup_extra.conf is made to overwrite woof-out_*/support/rootfs-packages list if it exists, so that could be used as part of this alternative method when using makepup (when not manually running straight woof-CE build scripts). Automating these methods would be one good next step in woof-CE development IMO. Some of that automation could be added to makepup, which might be a good idea to do that there (at what might be regarded as the woof-user level, rather than at the woof-CE system level (again, like below comment, that is similar to system build using system script debootstrap in Debian and then at user level adding apps via apt-get in such DebianLive systems). I will experiment with some of these ideas, though taking a rest at the moment (note that I'm not suggesting apt-get in Puppy; I know woof-next works towards that - rather I'm talking about adding pets and tar files in traditional Pup style).

EDIT2: Also, I think it would be good to have a simple core-Pup distro build followed by adding extra packages as part of the extra packages facility, rather than always a fully created Pup (I'd especially like to see some commandline package manager (such that sc0ttman is working towards) in operation after a chroot into the sandbox3/rootfs-complete directory - that could end up being similar to debootstrap minimal install followed by adding packages in similar way to what Fred does with mklive-stretch DebianDog build).

Also, on same thread page regarding adding extra pets:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 639#956639

wiak
Last edited by wiak on Fri 15 Sep 2017, 23:37, edited 9 times in total.

smokey01

#136 Post by smokey01 »

musher0 wrote:Hello all.

Would this be it?
http://smokey01.com/Bill2/huge-3.16.43-stretch.tar.bz2

musher0

#137 Post by musher0 »

smokey01 wrote:
musher0 wrote:Hello all.

Would this be it?
http://smokey01.com/Bill2/huge-3.16.43-stretch.tar.bz2
Yep! Glad it's still there. Thanks, smokey01.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

davids45

Modifying pet lists

#138 Post by davids45 »

G'day peebee (and wiak),

Thanks for your reply.

I've made edits to some of the files in my makepup directory that look involved in adding extra pets to a makepup build.
No version numbers in woof-out_****/DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-****

Single entry for .pets - yes|pkg||exe,dev,doc,nls

I find many files of the type DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-**** in the various directories but to check for starters, I've modified these files in the makepup root directory (screenshot) as I think you suggested (removing version numbers and the needed syntax for a .pet). My edits for my wanted pets are at the end of the list (screenshot).
but all entries must have a corresponding entry in at least one of:
woof-out_****/Packages-puppy-****-official
if they're pets
I copied the lines from a /root/.packages/user-installed-packages of a Pup where I had installed my wanted pets - except seamonkey which I normally run from a symlink.
Again I added these lines to the end of a Packages-puppy-****-official list as an example (screenshot).

If you have the time, could you check if I'm close to what should work?

I only see a 'woof-out_xxxx' after I've run ./makepup so I assume it's the precursors I've got to find and edit.

I'm finding lots of very similar file lists through the makepup directory and subdirectories. I guess all need changing and there's not a set of master lists I could copy and paste?

Thanks again for your help.

David S.
Attachments
makepup-root-directory-3lists.jpg
makepup root directory has easy-to-find pets lists so these were used for editing syntax
(135.49 KiB) Downloaded 947 times
pets-no-version-numbers-in-list.jpg
edits to pet list for checking
(132.68 KiB) Downloaded 968 times
entries-from-installed-pets-in-existingPup.jpg
(207.86 KiB) Downloaded 938 times

wiak

Re: Modifying pet lists

#139 Post by wiak »

davids45 wrote: I only see a 'woof-out_xxxx' after I've run ./makepup so I assume it's the precursors I've got to find and edit.
I'm busy in the garden just now so haven't read most of your post yet, David. But, yes, woof-out_xxxx is only created after the first woof-CE script called 'merge2out' is run (either manually from woof-CE-testing [or woof-CE-rationalise] or via makepup script). There is a pause function designed into makepup (-p or --pause), which is specially for this purpose of giving you time to pause and modify any of these woof-out_xxxx scripts you want to before proceeding to allow makepup to run everything else and complete the build.

From ./makepup --help:

Code: Select all

-p/--pause (pauses makepup script just after merge2out routine.
           DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-distro-version is ready for
           reading at this stage if you want to see what
           packages are available via woof-CE. For convenience,
           a copy of that file is made in same directory as the
           makepup script. Only those with 'no' before their
           name can be added, if desired, to makepup_extra.conf
           Those with 'yes' are already included in core build
           In particular, you might want to add extra 'firmware').
Please note that there is an error in the above help text (which I'll fix next time I do a makepup update). A copy of DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-distro-version is no longer made (since that copy wasn't useful in practice).

Hopefully, Peebee can help check what you mention in the rest of your post, since he seems to be very familiar with what is required to add packages in woof-CE.

EDIT1: I just realised I probably have to move that pause to occur a little later (after 0setup) because I think woof-CE script 0setup needs to get the package lists for the build before you can do the tricks Peebee described. I'll post back how to do that in the meantime, shortly (before I release modified makepup version).

wiak

wiak

makepup ver 0.0.9alpha

#140 Post by wiak »

@David (and any others needing this mod):

makepup ver 0.0.9alpha EDIT: Following tests, now uploaded as version 0.0.9 to first post of this thread.

temporary upload - puts pause for adding packages after 0setup rather than just after merge2out (which I believe was too early since package lists not downloaded till woof-CE 0setup script).

I'm too busy to test just now, but should be fine. I won't be uploading final ver 0.0.9 for a while yet and 0.0.8 continues to work fine aside from anyone needing this pause switch (-p/--pause) to come after 0setup rather than before it...

see previous post above for why I'm making this alteration.

@David: One thing I notice you are listing that doesn't seem correct is that you say you are editing DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS... files in same directory where makepup is stored. I am pretty sure I modified makepup to not create these 'convenience' copies anymore, because they weren't a convenience I decided... (Maybe you are accidentally using an old version of makepup? Type ./makepup --version and it should tell you the version. Should have been 0.0.8 ) Instead you should be modifying (maybe backup first) the DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS... files you find under your woof-out_* directory (which is a subfolder of the directory where makepup is stored).

I suspect you should make sure pet packages you want extra aren't listed more than once in the "Packages-puppy -*" lists (though I dont' know the effect if listed more than once. Hopefully Peebee will comment.

wiak
Last edited by wiak on Sat 16 Sep 2017, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.