Bibisco v.1.5.0

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
Mike Walsh

Bibisco v.1.5.0

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, all.

Among my other talents (!!), I can modestly say that I write more than a few articles of various sorts, for varying different reasons. For this reason, I've been looking for a long while for something along the lines of Scrivener.....but, of course, this is only available for Windows, and is not free.

I was having a trawl (as you do!), and came across this article on MakeUseOf.com, about creative writing apps:-

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/scrivener- ... pps-linux/

The very first one, Bibisco, appealed to me more than the others; it also sounded easier to use, too. All writing apps should enable you to layout your storylines, add or delete characters, create chapters & scenes, organise your plots and layouts any way you want.....preferably with drag & drop functionality, for ease of use. Bibsco fits the bill on all counts.

On initial startup, you just need to set two things; the language you wish to use, and the location for where you want to save your work. After that, the world's your oyster; let the creative juices flow.....

It takes some navigating around, initially, but after just a few minutes it becomes second nature. Since I've been having a lot of fun with this earlier on, I thought I'd package it up and offer it to the community, in case any other budding authors would care to give it a whirl.

It's a fairly large package, at 130 MB.....which is why it's an SFS! The size is mainly due to the fact that it's Java-powered; it contains its own self-contained, fully-deployed version of the current Java or IcedTea. This being the case, even if you already have Java on your system, it won't conflict (since it's effectively 'sandboxed' within its own directory).

My previous experiences with Java-powered stuff suggests that as long as you match the package to the architecture, they will run, since they don't rely on the normal Linux 'depencency tree'.

For anybody who'd like to try it out, you can find it on my GoogleDrive, here:-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

It's only in 32-bit format at the moment; I will be making a 64-bit version available later on. Stay tuned!

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 26 May 2018, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, all.

A 64-bit version of Bibisco has now been added. You can find it at the link in post #1.

Enjoy.

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, all.

Both versions of Bibisco v1.5.0 (32- and 64-bit) now re-packed with the current, newest version of JRE (the Java Runtime Environment) - release 1.8.0, update 171.

Enjoy.

festus

bibisco-1.5.0_java_1.8.0_171-i686-errors

#4 Post by festus »

Hello, Mike, thanks for your efforts on bibisco. I don't really need this app, but being the curious person that I am, I had to try it out to see what it's like.

I downloaded the 32-bit sfs, loaded it on xenial-7.5 and upupbb-18.05+3.

When I tried to run the program, this is the errors that showed up:

Code: Select all

HTTP ERROR 500

Problem accessing /bibisco/loading.jsp. Reason:

PWC6033: Unable to compile class for JSP

PWC6199: Generated servlet error:
The type java.io.ObjectInputStream cannot be resolved. It is indirectly referenced from required .class files

Caused by:

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: PWC6033: Unable to compile class for JSP

PWC6199: Generated servlet error:
The type java.io.ObjectInputStream cannot be resolved. It is indirectly referenced from required .class files
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.javacError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:123)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.javacError(ErrorDispatcher.java:296)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateClass(Compiler.java:376)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:437)
	at org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:608)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:360)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:486)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:380)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:538)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:478)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:119)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:517)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:225)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:937)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:406)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:183)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:871)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:117)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:110)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:346)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:589)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConnection.java:1048)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:601)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:214)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:411)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.handle(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:535)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint$1.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:40)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:529)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
If it matters, I do not have java installed on any of these pups.
Mike, I hope this helps, or maybe these errors are particular just to my case.

bliss,
festus