Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 23 Nov 2017, 05:19
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How to install Puppy to USB flash drive
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [21 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct 2017, 11:02    Post subject: rufus  

Rufus tested sucssfully with debian Stretch (first try)
Lili LIve USB creator was my preferred tool but would not work with latest Ubuntu ISOs and failed even with Puppies, what dit not happened before.
Rufus is suggested by Unbuntu (sponsorized ?)
Foirst time you use Linux, no linux partition, No Puppy yet available. N.E.W.B.I.E From Africa, arabic spoken only if our dear VIP could once escape from their Soyouz.

Last edited by hamoudoudou on Sun 15 Oct 2017, 11:17; edited 3 times in total
puppyluvr

PostPosted: Sat 14 Oct 2017, 15:59    Post subject:  

Very Happy Hello,
I don't understand the confusion.
I have always just copied the iso contents into a folder on the USB drive and ran grub4dos on it.
It's always worked well for me even in a multiboot scenario.
It's so easy to do I never even bothered to include it in MultiPup.
Perhaps I've just had better luck than others?

Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 14 Oct 2017, 16:38    Post subject:  

Hi, puppyluvr.

puppyluvr wrote:
Very Happy Hello,
I don't understand the confusion.
I have always just copied the iso contents into a folder on the USB drive and ran grub4dos on it.
It's always worked well for me even in a multiboot scenario.
It's so easy to do I never even bothered to include it in MultiPup.
Perhaps I've just had better luck than others?

I don't think we're saying there's any 'confusion' about this....but you'll be the first one to admit that the method you've described (what I've always called the 'quick'n'dirty method) presupposes an already 'running' Pup to carry it out. You can't do it from within Windoze, due to the need to have to rename everything.....since Windoze insists on naming everything in upper case. And you can't run Grub4DOS from within Windoze, neither.

We're trying to figure out the best method to recommend for newbies, who are like as not confused about Linux in general anyway.....never mind trying to figure out Pup's peculiarities. .!

Go figure..... Rolling Eyes

Mike. Wink

mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 14 Oct 2017, 20:34    Post subject: One Size doesn't fit all  

Hi All,

I think dancytron is right. One size doesn't fit all. Although perhaps most of "our" newbies will be emigres from Windows, some of them will be hopping from a different Linux distro. Some will have CD/DVD burners; others not; and some with CD/DVD burners would rather not use them.

So, I think the first post of the thread should be an "index" providing hyper-links to later posts specifically dealing with four situations:

1) From Windows to Puppy on a USB-key via CD/DVD;
2) From Windows to Puppy on a USB-key via direct "burn" to USB-key;*
3) From Linux to Puppy on a USB-key via CD/DVD;
4) From Linux to Puppy on a USB-key via direct "burn" to USB-key.**

I'd skip
5) From Linux to Puppy on a USB-key via direct 'quick'n'dirty'. [Linux doesn't have the 'convert text to Capitals' challenge of Windows. But, while I think all Linux distros have applications that will mount an ISOs and copying files is straight forward, which application mounts files may vary; and getting grub4dos to work may be challenging.]

Does anyone have actual experience with the following:

* My go-to program for burning Puppies to a USB-Key under Windows was LinuxLiveUSB Creator. But, not having a UEFI computer, I have no experience using either it or Rufus (which is reported to work) with such computers.

** I've built Unetbootin to run under Xenialpup and Tahrpup to create bootable USB-Keys of other Linux distros. But never used it to create a bootable Puppy USB-Key.

Have I over-complicated this? I know nothing about ISOBooter. Can it be run under other Linux Distros? Windows?

Edit: The answer to those questions seems to be "Yes", http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=517250#517250, at least for Windows and "Ubuntu-based" distros. Thanks, rcrsn51.

mikesLr
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct 2017, 05:55    Post subject:  

^^^ +1.

Sounds like a plan, Mike. Although, as I stated earlier in this thread, do we add yet another 'sticky'.....or should some of the 'Beginner's' stickies be thinned out?

Personally, I'm not even going there.....

Mike. Wink

mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct 2017, 09:43    Post subject:  

Hi Mike,

Actually, I've got a sticky: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=858159#858159. The first post sort of "grow'd like Topsy", and is kind of a mess. Been meaning to re-write it if and when (a) a persistent head-cold now enjoying its 3rd week of turning my mind into mush moves on; and (b) I otherwise feel ambitious.

One of suggestions the first post does make is to explore your first Puppy via USB-key. So it's already primed for a link to a later post specifically on that topic. Changing the Title to be more inclusive wouldn't be a problem.

I think what we could do in the meantime is continue discussion on this thread regarding the questions I've asked.

I have versions of --never use them Laughing-- "Ubuntu based" Peppermint Linux and LinuxMint (Sarah) and Windows 7. So I can explore ISObooter from them.

Covering all the Linux Distros is a job for a masochist. But Is anyone running Slackware? Debian? If ISOBooter works from them (and "Ubuntus") that would cover a lot of 'distro hoppers'. Does anyone have a UEFI computer to test whether ISOBooter will produce a Puppy USB-Key which will boot under that condition? Similarly, can anyone with a UEFI computer test CD/DVD burners from Windows 8+? From other Linux Distros?

mikesLr
Page 2 of 2 [21 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: