utf-8 setting gone after reboot

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Limbomusic

utf-8 setting gone after reboot

#1 Post by Limbomusic »

I've been tinkering (a LOT) with making a webserver-pup. I built a tahrpup_6.0.6 using the latest woof_testing with newest 32bit kernel. And then some remasterings of that. I THAUGHT it was damn perfect. But today I tried it on an old pc just to tinker/test - and suddenly: problem: The UTF-8 setting isnt saved after reboot.
I'll explain in more detail: In the remaster process - before /tmp/etc/profile gets added - I always put in:

LANG=nb_NO.UTF-8

so that when booting for the first time - default language is set to norwegian AND (and this is where the problem comes in) the "UTF-8" is automatically ticked. I,ve remastered A LOT. And this has ALWAYS worked fine - but THIS time - when booting from usb first time - utf-8 is NOT ticked... OK, so I tick it. Restart graphical server - and everythings fine - BUT - after reboot (yes, making a save-file) utf-8 is gone...

If I go into /etc/profile - and type in (LANG=nb_NO).UTF-8 - and restarting graph serv - everythings fine - but after reboot. utf-8 setting is GONE again...

Now. This wouldnt be a problem for anyone just using english language. But it WOULD be a problem for anyone hosting a site - using my pup - with file-names in a folder with norwegian characters/letters - and also the clock/name of day doesnt show the norwegian chars...

I spent 2 hours today - making just remastered tahr6.0.5 (with newer kernel) web-pups - so I could have something that just works. But... damn - I,ve spent a LOTTA time woofing and remastering - and the new 6.0.6 has the cool new boot stuff (and probably? much more "under the hood") I guess - so, like, I wanted to use my "own" woofed tahr... dang !

Any thoughts ?
----------------------------------
EDIT 05.09.2017

Woofed a new tahr6.0.6 webserver-puplet yesterday. And now it's all good. Tested a lot. Big filesize because chrome 48 installed. Hiawatha version 10.6 (autostart on boot) with modified config file to make it easy to get up and running.
http://pissekult.com/linux/kjartans_pup ... r_uefi.zip
http://pissekult.com/linux/kjartans_pup ... server.iso
-----------------------------------
Last edited by Limbomusic on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 06:36, edited 2 times in total.

april

#2 Post by april »

is LANG set?

Code: Select all

env
LANG=en_US.UTF-8

Limbomusic

lang

#3 Post by Limbomusic »

Yes. Correct language pops up on first boot but the danged utf-8 setting will not be saved after reboot.
-edit-
I'm thinking that for some strange reason - something rewrites the /etc/profile file during reboot. But WHY? HOW? %&%!... dang. (or darn)