Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rufwoof

#691 Post by rufwoof »

fredx181 wrote:
belham2 wrote:P.S. Fred, wanted to ask ya something----when I updated, apt-get held back peasyxorburn? Was/is there a reason??
I have no idea why, that happens sometimes, I can't reproduce with peasyxorburn, but for me it's firefox-esr held back, but doing (see below):

Code: Select all

apt-get dist-upgrade
makes it install
apt-get upgrade will only upgrade existing things to newer versions, it wont add or remove things. apt-get dist-upgrade can make changes, add newer things, remove no longer used things ...etc. For some programs such as firefox-esr upgrading typically only dist-upgrade will actually upgrade it, apt-get upgrade will just report that its available via the way of saying that it was held back.

Its not a good idea to just run

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade

but better to run each individually and make sure you read the prompts before pressing 'y' as I have seen one instance of where someone just casually pressed yes to a prompt that said 3.9GB of programs/libs would be removed, and they were subsequently left with a non bootable system.

fredx181

#692 Post by fredx181 »

*** Update mklive-stretch ***

Changes:

- Should work from any newer puppy now without workaround as discussed earlier
(unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH is done inside script now)
Required is to install debootstrap pet, provided by wiak Download
For ISO creation is required xorriso and isolinux packages installed.
(if not installed, creating ISO will fail, but the script will still create the files for a frugal install)

- Works from Xenialdog 32-bit now (previously didn't work because of symlink /bin/chroot in Xenialdog32)

Download:
mklive-stretch script

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 08 Jun 2019, 20:01, edited 4 times in total.

fredx181

Whisker-menu modified version

#693 Post by fredx181 »

Hi All,

For when built "Full DebianDog Openbox_Xfce-Jwm version", I made a (very much) modified Whisker-menu, e.g. buttons for Start-Jwm, Start-Slim (login-manager), Logout.
Also the profile picture can be changed easily (by clicking on it and select new picture).
Install from Synaptic or from terminal:

apt-get update
apt-get install xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin-mod
This will replace the standard whiskermenu package

Included also in New StretchDog ISO's

Fred

belham2

Re: Whisker-menu modified version

#694 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:Hi All,

For when built "Full DebianDog Openbox_Xfce-Jwm version", I made a (very much) modified Whisker-menu, e.g. buttons for Start-Jwm, Start-Slim (login-manager), Logout.
Also the profile picture can be changed easily (by clicking on it and select new picture).
Install from Synaptic or from terminal:

apt-get update
This will replace the standard whiskermenu package

Included also in New StretchDog ISO's

Fred

Hi Fred,

Uhmmm, before I do this new whisker-mod, is this supposed to be what it does? It removes all of xfce4-goodies? I use nearly all of the xfce4-goodies, thus I don't get it. I wanted to ask this because I've a perfectly functioning, super-stable XFCE64-build and I don't want to screw anything up by installing the new 'whiskermenu-plugin-mod'. Is that what you intended?? For ALL :shock: of the xfce4-goodies to be removed?
Attachments
is-the-whisker-menu-plugin-mod-install-going-to-remove-xfce4goodies.jpg
(70.78 KiB) Downloaded 1162 times

fredx181

#695 Post by fredx181 »

belham wrote:Uhmmm, before I do this new whisker-mod, is this supposed to be what it does? It removes all of xfce4-goodies? I use nearly all of the xfce4-goodies, thus I don't get it. I wanted to ask this because I've a perfectly functioning, super-stable XFCE64-build and I don't want to screw anything up by installing the new 'whiskermenu-plugin-mod'. Is that what you intended?? For ALL Shocked of the xfce4-goodies to be removed?
No, I didn't realize that it would remove xfce4-goodies, that's not good.
My mistake. I will try to find a solution for that.
Btw, on a pure xfce4 install this whisker-mod is not very useful, I think.
It's made suitable for the Openbox_ Xfce-Jwm combo type of build.

Fred

fredx181

#696 Post by fredx181 »

Hi belham, looks to me that I fixed it, but for testing purpose can you try again and confirm ? (need to do first apt-get update)

apt-get update
Probably it gives a warning something like "dependency problems", "but yes, as requested"... blah blah but in the end it should install without problems.

EDIT: just for info, looking better at your apt-get terminal pic, it's not that all applications would be removed, only the "transitional" or "meta" package "xfce4-goodies" (which provides all the applications), so it's not that bad (the list of applications you see are set as "autoremove", so only if you're doing "apt-get autoremove" will uninstall them).
Again, shouldn't be how it was removing xfce4-goodies package and hopefully fixed now.

Fred

belham2

#697 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:Hi belham, looks to me that I fixed it, but for testing purpose can you try again and confirm ? (need to do first apt-get update)

apt-get update
Probably it gives a warning something like "dependency problems", "but yes, as requested"... blah blah but in the end it should install without problems.

EDIT: just for info, looking better at your apt-get terminal pic, it's not that all applications would be removed, only the "transitional" or "meta" package "xfce4-goodies" (which provides all the applications), so it's not that bad (the list of applications you see are set as "autoremove", so only if you're doing "apt-get autoremove" will uninstall them).
Again, shouldn't be how it was removing xfce4-goodies package and hopefully fixed now.

Fred

Hi Fred,

Deciding to be safe, I copied over my "frugal" DDog-XFCE64-build into a new 'frugal' folder, and set it up in grub4dos. Boy oh boy, am I happy I did.

I did just like you wrote. I ran 'apt-get update', the ran 'apt-get install whiskermenu-plugin-mod', selected "Yes", and watched as it installed. Fred, my whole XFCE whisker menu instantly became unstable, and then, in a few minutes of clicking, unusable. I couldn't even get the original XFCE Applications menu item to load. Whisker just vanished and/or self-destructed. Then, every thing (the OS overall) just crashed.

Thanking my lucky stars that I for once had enough brains to test something first, haha, I just deleted the frugal install and, if you don't mind, I'll now pass on this whisker-mod. Lord, that whisker-mod was like a nuclear bomb going off inside my XFCE.... :shock: It's probably just my fault and my systems, I mean maybe it's something I did when I was building this XFCE64 and then modifying/setting things up. But it has operated so stable and so well over the past month of frequent use, that I honestly cannot think of what I might have done.

Anyway, I'll let backi test and run it. He'll try anything! He even got me to load that buggy SpaceFM contraption of filemanager :wink:

backi

#698 Post by backi »

..seems we have to look for some kind of suicidal Test-Crew of Linux Djihadis . :lol: :lol: :lol:

Allahu akbar !

fredx181

#699 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Belham,
I did just like you wrote. I ran 'apt-get update', the ran 'apt-get install whiskermenu-plugin-mod', selected "Yes", and watched as it installed. Fred, my whole XFCE whisker menu instantly became unstable, and then, in a few minutes of clicking, unusable. I couldn't even get the original XFCE Applications menu item to load. Whisker just vanished and/or self-destructed. Then, every thing (the OS overall) just crashed.
Whoops :shock: , sounds bad, sorry, I could have expected a possible configuration problem, but not crashing like you had.
Very strange, it works OK for me.

Can anyone else please test ?
(with some type of setup: openbox with xfce)
If you have the courage :) With changes=EXIT boot nothing bad can happen, I guess, just don't save the changes if not OK

Fred

backi

#700 Post by backi »

Hi Fred !
Just a quick Test .
Tried with a new/fresh Openbox/Xfce full Dog .....followed procedure above ....
did not encounter this type of Problems belham described .

Regards !

fredx181

#701 Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:Hi Fred !
Just a quick Test .

Regards !
Thanks backi !
I like to be sure, so I ask:
You installed xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin-mod, but did you also load in on the panel ? (and did some configuration changes, right-click icon > properties)

Btw, in the meantime I tested again few times and also on another computer without experiencing any problems, so it's a mystery for me why belham's report was so bad...

Fred

belham2

#702 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:
backi wrote:Hi Fred !
Just a quick Test .

Regards !
Thanks backi !
I like to be sure, so I ask:
You installed xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin-mod, but did you also load in on the panel ? (and did some configuration changes, right-click icon > properties)

Btw, in the meantime I tested again few times and also on another computer without experiencing any problems, so it's a mystery for me why belham's report was so bad...

Fred

And I have found the culprit!

It's all Backi's fault!! :twisted: :!:

When I had made that duplicate copy of my DDog-XFCE64-build in another 'frugal' folder, I had absentmindedly used SpaceFM to do it. Had walked away for a minute, came back, and it was done with none of those "stalled" errors SpaceFM has been showing that Backi & me have seen. So I "ass"-umed everything was okey-dokey.

To be sure I was remembering it right, I made another frugal folder copy this morning of DDog-XFCE64, and I used Thunar. Booted up, and did everything like I did yesterday. No nuclear bomb! Uber whisker-mod by Freddo works as advertised, and the additional buttons are really nice & welcome, thread.

Moral of story: never TRUST Backi! LOL....no, no, moral of story is be careful of SpaceFM when making big copies of anything. That program has a demon-bug in its source code when it comes to copying.

Next question, Fred----can I put this "whickermenu-plugin-mod" in all my pups that have XFCE? I mean, if I download it separately, then install it, and just change some of the targets of the buttons to what is existing on that pup? Or is this not a good idea? You know me, I'll try anything, careless as a bear trapped in a cave full of honey & thinking there's no way I could eat myself to death :wink:

fredx181

#703 Post by fredx181 »

belham wrote:And I have found the culprit!
OK, that's good news, Ooohh.. backi strikes again :lol:
@backi, no, no, good old belham dropped a virtual nuclear bomb on holland !! :roll:
Next question, Fred----can I put this "whickermenu-plugin-mod" in all my pups that have XFCE? I mean, if I download it separately, then install it, and just change some of the targets of the buttons to what is existing on that pup? Or is this not a good idea? You know me, I'll try anything, careless as a bear trapped in a cave full of honey & thinking there's no way I could eat myself to death
You can try, but probably it won't work in all pups (e.g. dependencies should fit and also glibc version)
I wonder if it's useful since this mod is specially made for openbox_xfce-jwm variant (with default buttons start-jwm, start-slim, dog-ctrl-center, obshutdown)
Btw, it took me a while to find out, the profile picture can be easily changed by manually adding a picture named .face in /root (no need for "mugshot" which is the default for changing profile picture in the standard whisker-menu-plugin)

Fred

fredx181

#704 Post by fredx181 »

Hi all, rcrsn51,

Made a small change to peasywifi package, by modyfing /etc/pwf/udhcpc/default.script to display notify splash-message

EDIT: Removed from repos now, shouldn't have messed with someone else's program.

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 14 Oct 2017, 08:40, edited 2 times in total.

rcrsn51

#705 Post by rcrsn51 »

If you are going to start adding useless window-dressing, fork the project and give it a different name.

fredx181

#706 Post by fredx181 »

Hi rcrsn51,

OK, fair enough, I just thought it would be ok because I didn't change the peasywifi code itself, sorry, shouldn't have done that, so removed from repos (latest is 4.5-1 again now)

Fred

backi

#707 Post by backi »

Hi !
I have some (maybe naive ) Questions.

Created a Openbox/Jwm Full with mklive-stretch a while ago .Placed the content of Isodata live Folder to Usb Stick to make a frugal install.
If i now create this same Openbox/jwm Full NOW again with mklive-stretch ........replace the old 01-filesystem.squashfs on my USB Stick with the now NEW created 1-filesystem.squashfs (and of course the zz_openbox_lx-jwm_firefox.squashfs too),
would this cause some kind of (alternative) update/upgrade ,instead of updating/upgrading via Synaptic-PPM?

Thanks in Advance .

fredx181

#708 Post by fredx181 »

Hi backi,

When you do a new build, all the latest package versions will be installed, if older build is a while back, probably there are updates available, so: yes, as you say, it would indeed cause some kind of (alternative) update/upgrade.

Fred

backi

#709 Post by backi »

O.k. Fred !

Thanks .......and get well !

rcrsn51

#710 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is the lastest version of apulse needed to play Youtube audio in some browsers. The package contains a menu entry that runs:

apulse /opt/firefox/firefox
You can customize this for your own setup by editing the .desktop file in /usr/share/applications.

However, the new Firefoxes require a patch:
For example, Firefox now have a sandbox, that blocks file access. It has
predefined list of allowed paths, but ALSA devices are not included by
default. Fortunately, it's possible to add those path by hand. Add "/dev/snd/"
to "security.sandbox.content.write_path_whitelist" parameter in
`about:config`. Note that trailing slash in "/dev/snd/" is required.
Update: OscarTalks has found a simpler solution. Set security.sandbox.content.level to 0.

These packages are now available in the repo under the name "apulse".

------------------
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 23 Nov 2017, 00:19, edited 3 times in total.