Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 19 Jun 2018, 01:34
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 17 of 79 [1176 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, ..., 77, 78, 79 Next
jd7654

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug 2017, 13:46    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
I changed to that as the default just now (.xsession is one of the files copied from github)
It may not work always, but it's certainly an improvement (see below, supports Mate build)
Also added /root/Readme-xsession with info inside about whether or not use startx (and if nothing works, try installing a login manager, e.g. slim) and about Startup applications.

I just did a mate build (installed no login manager) and it booted right to the desktop with the new change to exec $SESSION_MANAGER

Just a quick followup to the Mate build. I was making a clean Mate build, removing any PCMan entries leaving only Caja, substitute Pluma for Leafpad. Also changed out Firefox for Chromium.
So the build still results in those (dead) desktop shortcuts for PCMan, Leafpad and Firefox still there. Easy to delete. But maybe those can be removed to have a more generalized build? Or maybe just bundle it with a recipe for Openbox.
rufwoof

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug 2017, 13:51    Post subject:  

jd7654 wrote:
Hard to beat JWM for full featured yet low mem usage

Rox though? Hasn't really been developed for quite a while now. pcmanfm as a alternative file manager also caters for managing desktop icons, along with volumes as well. I like how jwmrc can contain all of the configuration, startup commands etc. all within the same single file. Launching <StartupCommand>pcmanfm --desktop</StartupCommand> as one ... has jwm taking care of the decorations, panel, tray and pcmanfm providing file manager, desktop icons and volume management.

I tend to not even bother with themes now either, just settle for the default inbuilt choices. That said for Stretch I have installed gtk2 adwaita and qt4/qt5 adwaita also, to go along with the default inbuilt adwaita gtk3.

Menus ... don't need 'em. Use the desktop as a store for favourite icons. Include a pcmanfm bookmark to /usr/share/applications and use a WIN key to launch a gmrun like option so you can enter a partial command name and autocomplete that with the tab key. The menu's only beneficial for those that don't know what's installed.

Showdesktop icon in panel, nah! I've replaced that with a hot corner (brightside (use brightside-properties to access its config)). Mouse into that corner and the desktop (favourite icons) is revealed. A bit like gnome3 in some respects.

Locale's ... nah! I just use the one, so include localepurge ... "trim the fat" type function.

sfs loading/unloading. Again I have no need now for that. Given the ease you can apt-get install and apt-get remove ... something like 40,000 Debian repository programs.

Even wondering about whether xorg is even required. ncurses mc filemanager/editor and sc spreadsheet could perhaps meet my needs given a alternative internet browser option (smartphone). Now that would be light, cli + mc + sc ... along with net connected and apt-get as the core. At least for anyone with reasonable downlink speeds/limits.
wiak

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug 2017, 16:05    Post subject:  

One thing jwm doesn't do, as far as I have experienced, that openbox/tint2 does, is that if an app is minimised and you drop a file onto the minimised icon on the taskbar, the app reopens with the file in it (e.g. dragging an html file from filemanager onto taskbar minimised firefox). I use that facility a lot. Is there a way to get jwm to do that?

wiak
wiak

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug 2017, 16:15    Post subject:  

jd7654 wrote:
belham2 wrote:
(P.S. Memory RAM usage sits at 77-79mb at idle...the lowest I've seen of any build yet Shocked [/i])

Hard to beat JWM for full featured yet low mem usage:

I don't see FastLightWindowManager (FLWM) in that list - where does it stand? I really like it for the way its windows can easily be expanded vertically or horizontally. Particularly like the topside version used sometimes in tinycorelinux. FLWM doesn't come with a panel/taskbar though (but not really needed by me)/

wiak
dancytron

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug 2017, 16:24    Post subject:  

rufwoof wrote:

Even wondering about whether xorg is even required. ncurses mc filemanager/editor and sc spreadsheet could perhaps meet my needs given a alternative internet browser option (smartphone). Now that would be light, cli + mc + sc ... along with net connected and apt-get as the core. At least for anyone with reasonable downlink speeds/limits.

/offtopic

That's kind of like what I build for my Raspberry Pi back when I was using it.

The thing to do is edit the file associations in midnight commander so that you have console based programs to do most filetypes by selecting them in midnight commander. You do this in the mc.ext file.

I attached the mc.ext file I used. I documented what I did to it and how I used it inside the file. It assumes no xinit. You could also use xinit to set it up to use x based programs from midnight commander too, but I didn't do that. You'd want to change omxplayer to mplayer or mpv.
Ver.13.mc.ext.gz
Description  remove gz and open as text file
gz

Download 
Filename  Ver.13.mc.ext.gz 
Filesize  12.7 KB 
Downloaded  34 Time(s) 
rufwoof

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug 2017, 16:45    Post subject:  

wiak wrote:
One thing jwm doesn't do, as far as I have experienced, that openbox/tint2 does, is that if an app is minimised and you drop a file onto the minimised icon on the taskbar, the app reopens with the file in it (e.g. dragging an html file from filemanager onto taskbar minimised firefox). I use that facility a lot. Is there a way to get jwm to do that?

Not that I know of. With a brightside hot corner set to show desktop you can drag a file to that corner to reveal the desktop and then continue dragging to whichever desktop icon program you want to open that file with.

For instance with file manager window maximised, dragging a pdf to my show desktop hot corner to reveal the desktop icons and then continue to drag to the firefox desktop icon and drop the file there ... and firefox opens showing the pdf file content. At least that is the case with jwm and pcmanfm --desktop.

Its quite quick in practice once you get used to "tapping" into a corner to reveal the desktop icons. Quicker/easier as well than clicking a panel/tray icons to show the desktop. I tend to have relatively few favourites, that easily fit on a single desktop. I guess for those that had lots of favourite programs/icons you could set up a multiple desktop arrangement with different wallpapers/icons on each desktop, workspace desktop 1, internet desktop 2, multimedia desktop 3, files desktop 4 ... type setup. I have set something like that up in the past and even had different screen resolutions on different desktops (so for instance one desktop could be remote logged into another system desktop).
rufwoof

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug 2017, 17:06    Post subject:  

dancytron wrote:
The thing to do is edit the file associations in midnight commander so that you have console based programs to do most filetypes by selecting them in midnight commander. You do this in the mc.ext file.

I attached the mc.ext file I used. I documented what I did to it and how I used it inside the file. It assumes no xinit. You could also use xinit to set it up to use x based programs from midnight commander too, but I didn't do that. You'd want to change omxplayer to mplayer or mpv.

Thanks dancytron. I have a freebsd cli with sc and mc installed that I use to admin another partition in which a full version (gui) is installed ... i.e. typically to make mksquashfs backups of that partition. I'll give that mc.ext file a go when I next boot that. Better than the F2 @ <command> operation.

sc as a spreadsheet tool, my other main program requirement outside of browsing (that increasingly smartphones are better at doing i.e. such as controlled by voice), is more than good enough for my requirements. Just a case of getting used to the older style functions format from yesteryear. =@sum(b3:b100) type format rather than just =sum(b3:b100). Flipping between different sheets using ctrl-alt-Fn (to flip between different terminal sessions) can become second nature with familiarity.

I do way less in the way of documentation nowadays, such that word processor usage has dropped right off and again smartphone dictation or just emails generally suffice. For the very few letters I do write/print a simple text editor would suffice (don't really need a full blown gui desktop to write/format less than a single page of text).

EDIT: Quick try of mc.ext in freebsd and it goes into ~/.config/mc/mc.ext
F3 and F4 are already set by default to view and edit respectively. Did try creating a .html and launching that (using mc.ext modified to launch lynx) ... but no luck. Obviously needs some work/editing, but a great template to be starting from. Thanks.
dancytron

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug 2017, 17:48    Post subject:  

Everyone,

I am still getting the issue where I am getting the old version of save2flash and snapmergepuppy when I build a distro.

I will do some more to try to run it down tonight, but in the mean time, could a couple of people look at the distro's you've built with the script in /usr/bin and report back what the last modified dates are for save2flash and snapmergepuppy? Especially if you are building 64 bit.

I'd like to confirm that it isn't just me.

Thanks,

Dan

Fred,

I have searched your github for possible sources of the offending files. The only ones I have found so far are in https://github.com/DebianDog/MakeLive/tree/gh-pages/dog-boot/usr/bin .

Could this possibly be the source of the offending obsolete files? Has American politics just driven me insane and I am imagining all of this?

Dan
wiak

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug 2017, 20:44    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:

Did another build this morning. Here's the pics. ISO came in at 203mb, and that is with Firefox-52.3, jwm, roxfiler and losts more

That's certainly down at the size of a recent woof-CE Puppy build. Since Puppy tends now to use packages from the major distributions (such as Debian, Ubuntu, or Slackware), does the size of a Puppy keep any less unbloated than the equivalent size of this Debian Stretch when further applications are installed? If so, why the saving, if not...???

wiak
dancytron

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug 2017, 21:04    Post subject:  

wiak wrote:
belham2 wrote:

Did another build this morning. Here's the pics. ISO came in at 203mb, and that is with Firefox-52.3, jwm, roxfiler and losts more

That's certainly down at the size of a recent woof-CE Puppy build. Since Puppy tends now to use packages from the major distributions (such as Debian, Ubuntu, or Slackware), does the size of a Puppy keep any less unbloated than the equivalent size of this Debian Stretch when further applications are installed? If so, why the saving, if not...???

wiak

Puppy has CUPS, mesa dri, abiword and gnumeric by default. Add those to DD and you'll see Puppy is still smaller.
wiak

PostPosted: Sun 13 Aug 2017, 22:03    Post subject:  

XenialPup64 iso is 319MB, Slacko64 ver 7.0 is at least 350MB.

The compressed archive sizes of libgl1-mesa-dri + abiword + gnumeric + cups comes in at 70MB.

So final iso size very similar indeed to recent Pups.

wiak
zagreb999

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug 2017, 02:32    Post subject: incorrect cheatcodes  

hp pavillion laptop 64 bit
lenovo laptop 32 bit
stretchdog kernel 4.9
------------------
load kernel modules
incorrect cheatcodes
----------------

in this point boot is interrupt

what is solution?

regards.

------------
(debiandog and xenialdog work perfectly)
dancytron

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug 2017, 02:39    Post subject: Re: incorrect cheatcodes  

zagreb999 wrote:
hp pavillion laptop 64 bit
lenovo laptop 32 bit
stretchdog kernel 4.9
------------------
load kernel modules
incorrect cheatcodes
----------------

in this point boot is interrupt

what is solution?

regards.

------------
(debiandog and xenialdog work perfectly)

That's usually a typo in the menu entries.

Show us your menu.1st file (if your using grub or grub4dos, otherwise whatever file has your menu entries in it).
anikin

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug 2017, 02:47    Post subject:  

rufwoof wrote:
. . . That said for Stretch I have installed gtk2 adwaita and qt4/qt5 adwaita also, to go along with the default inbuilt adwaita gtk3
This one? https://packages.debian.org/stretch/gnome-themes-standard
zagreb999

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug 2017, 02:57    Post subject:  

regards dancytron

stretchdogt is installed with unetbootin
as xenialdog and debiandog.
i do not create any menu.1s

stretchdog can not boot,
xenial and debian boot
perfectly
Page 17 of 79 [1176 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, ..., 77, 78, 79 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: