Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
wiak

#1486 Post by wiak »

No problem Fred.
wiak wrote:And of course mklive-stretch itself is an interesting wrapper idea, which may or may not also be useful (conceptually at least) with WeeDog/FirstRib replacing debootstrap part internally for a similar gui frontent for Void Linux based build
The sentence above, which never did have any hidden meaning or anything to be concerned about, can now be forgotten about. Back to FirstRib thread now for me... I'm also in a foul temper today. Kid got us up at 4am and then big kid stemsee reminds me of all the previous big kid nuisances on here.

stemsee

#1487 Post by stemsee »

wiak wrote:No problem Fred.
wiak wrote:... big kid stemsee reminds me of all the previous big kid nuisances on here....
First a Vulture, then a goat....
I am an Eagle Soaring in the heights way above your heads. I am a Lion of Judah, King of the Jungle

I kid you not!

rockedge

#1488 Post by rockedge »

@stemsee

why is it NAZI's always? Ever look at the government and people of the United States? Cruel and heartless...greedy...... why not look at the present? plenty of what the Germans did during the NAZI era happens every day right here in in the good ol' USA.....right now....just look over to the White House and you see powerful people using hate to push their agendas and stand in our way we will carpet bomb you or plain and simple kill you

stemsee you sound full of yourself and I can 100% guarantee you are not the King of anything. This pseudo-religious enlightenment you project is insincere and hollow and a dime a dozen.

stemsee

#1489 Post by stemsee »

hi Rockedge

It's a bit tongue in cheek actually. Word play etc. dry British humour.

Do I always refer to the Nazis, the historic bad guys, stereo-typically always correct and perfect? Really always?? Any references?

Full of myself? Maybe....and you mean without a good reason. Guilty! But don't be 100% sure of anything yourself either; the price to pay when proven wrong might be significant. How can you be 100% sure I'm not a King of anything, anyway?? Are you Yahweh?
...we will carpet bomb you or plain and simple kill you...
ME??? Oh!

Well I know i can be testy .... I apologize for that.

rockedge

#1490 Post by rockedge »

not a problem stemsee...I usually am about 80% on the money. I think I just had too much political information weirdness today.....I had some family that were in Waffen SS units so after awhile I get somewhat sensitive....and the weather is hot and extremely humid here in New England..making it all so much more........ any way sorry for blasting you...very ungentlemanly on my part.

stemsee

#1491 Post by stemsee »

no problem....i get cranky when its too hot and no escape, also!

trister

#1492 Post by trister »

fredx181 wrote:

btw, succesfully installed runit on Devuan and works well sofar I tested (but need to learn more about it, e.g. how to configure autologin)

Fred
Thanks again Freg for your incredible work :)

Just a question : mklive-stretch64 & 32 creates a DebianDog or DevuanDog?

dancytron

#1493 Post by dancytron »

trister wrote:
fredx181 wrote:

btw, succesfully installed runit on Devuan and works well sofar I tested (but need to learn more about it, e.g. how to configure autologin)

Fred
Thanks again Freg for your incredible work :)

Just a question : mklive-stretch64 & 32 creates a DebianDog or DevuanDog?
Debian Stretch.

zagreb999

ramsize

#1494 Post by zagreb999 »

hi fred
you wrote
ramsize=100% to
add in kernel...

please,
can you explain where to add
this script in x-slacko
kernel?

thanks!

fredx181

#1495 Post by fredx181 »

Hi zagreb, I think the ramsize=... option works only with the the porteus-boot style, so probably doesn't work with x-slacko.

Fred

rcrsn51

#1496 Post by rcrsn51 »

Many apps, like word processors, can output to a PDF using the Print > Print to File dialog. But a few apps need a separate PDF-Writer virtual printer in CUPS. The package below is a version of the one from Puppy. Remove the fake .gz extension.
Attachments
pdf-writer_2.2_all.deb.gz
(6.18 KiB) Downloaded 109 times

rcrsn51

#1497 Post by rcrsn51 »

I have posted [removed] the kernel 4.19.0-6-amd64 components from Devuan that can be used to upgrade a 64bit install of Stretch.

Just drop the files into your current "live" folder and reboot.

Update: You can now get a 4.19.0-6 kernel directly out of Fred's latest DevuanDog build. Read here.

--------------
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun 06 Oct 2019, 09:38, edited 3 times in total.

stemsee

#1498 Post by stemsee »

rcrsn51 wrote:Many apps, like word processors, can output to a PDF using the Print > Print to File dialog. But a few apps need a separate PDF-Writer virtual printer in CUPS. The package below is a version of the one from Puppy. Remove the fake .gz extension.
Thanks for this

stemsee

rcrsn51

#1499 Post by rcrsn51 »

I have posted here some WiFi drivers for 64bit Stretch with the k4.19.0-6-amd64 kernel upgrade. The drivers are:

1. Broadcom wl.
2. Realtek 8192cu. Some adapters may still prefer this vendor version to the in-kernel driver.
3. Realtek 8192eu. You may get better results with this driver than with the in-kernel rtl8xxxu.
4. Realtek 8812au and 8822bu. These AC-mode devices are not yet in the mainstream kernel.

Some of these drivers may require a change to the PeasyWiFi config. Set DRIVER=nl80211.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun 13 Oct 2019, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#1500 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here are some instructions for installing the nvidia Xorg driver in Stretch with the k4.19.0-6-amd64 upgrade.

NOTE: I am disobeying Fred's rule against mixing repos. But this has worked for me so far.

1a. Locate the file /etc/apt/sources.list.
1b. Add these lines:

Code: Select all

deb http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged beowulf main contrib non-free  
deb http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged beowulf-updates main contrib non-free  
deb http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged beowulf-security main contrib non-free 
1c. Run: apt-get update.

2. Do the usual procedure for installing nvidia

Code: Select all

apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
apt-get install nvidia-detect
nvidia-detect
apt-get install nvidia-xxx
3. IMMEDIATELY when done:
a. Go back to /etc/apt/sources.list and delete the extra lines.
b. Run: apt-get update.

4. Reboot.

fredx181

#1501 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Bill,

I think you will run in trouble sooner or later the way you did, simple example: failed to install libc6-dev because of libc6 v 2.28-10 installed (see pic).
(I did immediately remove the beowulf lines and apt-get update)

Better use the stretch-backports repo instead.

Fred
Attachments
failed.png
(93.71 KiB) Downloaded 677 times

rcrsn51

#1502 Post by rcrsn51 »

Could you give me some instructions for using the backports kernel? I believe that I tried this once and failed.

Regarding DevuanDog: I still have problems on some bleeding-edge machines with video. Part way through the boot sequence, I get a black screen of death.

But using the 01-filesystem.squashfs from Stretch works. I suspect some little problem with the X in Devuan.

Bill

rcrsn51

#1503 Post by rcrsn51 »

When I run upgrade-kernel-bpo, I get an empty list for Select a Kernel. I fixed that by setting VER=4.19 in the script.

But I then get an error when it tries to build aufs - something about BUILD_EXCLUSIVE in a dkms.conf file.

So I quit.

fredx181

#1504 Post by fredx181 »

Yes upgrade-kernel-bpo needs updated, I did already work on it but wanted to test more, I'm now investigating if it's possible to keep the beowulf kernel and use linux-headers from backports (probably not, but worth trying)
Back later.

Fred

rcrsn51

#1505 Post by rcrsn51 »

This is not a big problem. I am interested in kernel upgrades because some of my machines have hardware (touchpads, wifi) that are not supported by the 4.9.x kernel.

In the past, I have found work-arounds by dropping in a Puppy kernel or hand-compiling drivers. But using a Debian 4.19.x kernel makes it far easier.

On my nvidia machines, nouveau+mesa is usually adequate, and those machines don't really need a kernel upgrade anyway. So people who want the nvidia Xorg driver can stick with k4.9.x or try my procedure above.