Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
johnywhy

#1351 Post by johnywhy »

logged into Devuan puppy desktop, this fails to ask for root password. Just runs thunar as root without pw:

Code: Select all

pkexec --user root thunar
this hangs (supposed to be root by default):

pkexec thunar
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/po ... xec.1.html

======
fredx181 wrote:
johnywhy wrote:on boot, i must press enter to get command prompt.
Yes, I noticed similar, need to press Enter, not too much trouble I hope ? :)
Not too much trouble for me. But i'm attemtping to create a lil distro to share with friends and the universe. Trying to make it as user-friendly as possible.

Most people will sit there staring at it, without pressing any keys, and assume it's broken.

Much else to get working, so not urgent. But eventually would like to fix that.

THX
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

fredx181

#1352 Post by fredx181 »

johnywhy wrote:pkexec thunar
Try:

gsu thunar
As I said earlier, I cannot understand how to make the pkexec command work, perhaps it works only in more extended distro's, (with much more bloat), so maybe better forget about it ?

Fred

johnywhy

#1353 Post by johnywhy »

things brokoen since new script and zz...sfs file
(i think it's just the new zz is the cause)

Devuan root desktop:
====
not getting audio on youtube videos now. changing volume with pulse panel slider does nothing, and it reverts to 0 position on re-open.

clicking "mixer" in pulse panel gives
"Failed to execute command 'pavucontrol', no such file or directory"

====
clock does not seem to recognize timezone. I set timezone with "Setup timezone" app to my timezone,

peasyclock shows correct time, but panel clock still wrong.

even if i click 'set' and 'refresh' in peasy clock, and get "tray clock will update shortly", panel clock still shows wrong time.

THX
Last edited by johnywhy on Sat 22 Sep 2018, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

dcung

#1354 Post by dcung »

fredx181 wrote:Configuration for that is in ~/.config/xfce4/desktop/
It's name depends on your resolution, for me it's "icons.screen0-1264x756.rc"
So, the best you can do is: move the icons to where you want, and it will be reflected in that config file.
Thank you Fred.

fredx181

#1355 Post by fredx181 »

johnywhy wrote:things brokoen since new script and zz...sfs file
(i think it's just the new zz is the cause)
Probably cannot be because of the new zz...sfs file, it only contains some simple cofiguration changes for xfce4, nothing to do with pulseaudio.
I don't know about "mixer" in pulse panel :?: You installed pulseaudio ? Need to install pavucontrol probably then.

For timezone I can recommend to install "tzupdate" it will automatically detect timezone and set the time from internet.

johnywhy

It's a Dog's Life

#1356 Post by johnywhy »

prolly my mistake somewhere. :oops:
i'll spin up a fresh one, and give it another go.

i understand you can't solve everything. i'm just putting it out there, in case someone else knows the trick.

cheers!
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

fredx181

Re: It's a Dog's Life

#1357 Post by fredx181 »

johnywhy wrote:prolly my mistake somewhere. :oops:
i'll spin up a fresh one, and give it another go.

i understand you can't solve everything. i'm just putting it out there, in case someone else knows the trick.

cheers!
Not sure if it's a mistake, and OK to post issues here, but not useful if you don't provide exact details about what you did, e.g. "mixer in pulse panel" is not clear enough info IMO.

EDIT: And... building further upon a minimal install is not easy, btw :roll:

Fred

dcung

#1358 Post by dcung »

I like PCManFM, so when I made iso using mklive, I added it (in addition to 'default' file manager) . In this instance, I added to 'full' version iso, which has Thunar as default.

pcmanfm filemnt-pcmanfm edit-sfs-pcmanfm
But I found that some right click menu options are missing (activate/deactivate module).
Is there some missing package to install or config I need to do?

Thank you.
Attachments
pcmanfm-2.png
(30.62 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
pcmanfm-1.png
(39.09 KiB) Downloaded 419 times

dcung

#1359 Post by dcung »

Hi all,

I am just reporting.

While browsing, looking for answers for my post above, I encountered
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=67656
which didn't resolve my PCManFM yet, but it mentioned SpaceFM.

So I thought, I give SpaceFM a try.
Installing from synaptic (full-dog64), I get this error.
With my limited knowledge, I only tried renaming the file and retry install...and it didn't go away.
Attachments
2018-09-24-144443_502x329_scrot.png
(20.87 KiB) Downloaded 397 times

johnywhy

#1360 Post by johnywhy »

For timezone I can recommend to install "tzupdate" it will automatically detect timezone and set the time from internet.
Unnecessary, the system already has everything needed to manage clock, timezone, and ntp. The issue is, a different timezone pre-applied to the panel clock. The fix is to remove the panel-clock, and re-add it. then timezone set with peasy or timezone app will display as expected in the panel clock.
https://askubuntu.com/a/497398
fredx181 wrote:I don't know about "mixer" in pulse panel :?: You installed pulseaudio ? Need to install pavucontrol probably then.
i didn't install pulse. The "pulseaudio plugin" panel-control is already installed by your script. I can't tell which package it's coming from.
not useful if you don't provide exact details about what you did, e.g. "mixer in pulse panel" is not clear enough
pulseaudio plugin panel-control:

[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

backi

#1361 Post by backi »

Hi dcung!
SpaceFm could be the best Filemanager IMO..... if not...... i cancelled it as not usable.

Be careful with SpaceFm.........serious Problems with copying .Did encounter myself .Seems this Bug is not solved til now.
I am going to look where this Problem was discussed .
Look For :
"SpaceFm stalled while copying " .

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 1&start=15

fredx181

#1362 Post by fredx181 »

dcung wrote:So I thought, I give SpaceFM a try.
Installing from synaptic (full-dog64), I get this error.
Mmm... bug again, congratulations, you've found another one :wink:
Should be fixed now, upgraded pfind in repos.
This means when installing SpaceFM that pfind will be upgraded.
This is proof again how strict (and therefore fragile) the Debian package management is.
(just one file (icon in this case) that has the same path in two packages, it's is not allowed)
I like PCManFM, so when I made iso using mklive, I added it (in addition to 'default' file manager) . In this instance, I added to 'full' version iso, which has Thunar as default.
But I found that some right click menu options are missing (activate/deactivate module).
Is there some missing package to install or config I need to do?
Extract attached tar.gz, then copy the .desktop files (inside actions folder) to:
~/.local/share/file-manager/actions/
Also it's required to have package "libfm-modules" installed.

EDIT: backi is right about that SpaceFM gets stuck on some special files when copying.
For Thunar it's the same, but it shows a message that it can't copy and give the option to skip and then continues, SpaceFm just stops (from what I tested)

Fred
Attachments
pcmanfm-actions.tar.gz
PcmanFM actions
(654 Bytes) Downloaded 69 times

fredx181

#1363 Post by fredx181 »

johnywhy wrote:pulseaudio plugin panel-control:
So you added the pulseaudio plugin panel-control to the xfce4-panel and didn't install pulseaudio and pavucontrol.
I have volumeicon (alsa) I don't need pulseaudio , but if you want pulseaudio then.... it would be "logical" :wink: to install pulseaudio.

EDIT:
The "pulseaudio plugin" panel-control is already installed by your script. I can't tell which package it's coming from.
I think it comes from the "xfce4-goodies" package

Fred

dcung

#1364 Post by dcung »

fredx181 wrote:Also it's required to have package "libfm-modules" installed.
This is what I was missing... Sorted now. Thanks Fred.

I'll skip SpaceFM then... Thanks backi & Fred for the heads up.
Maybe better put the 'bug' back Fred to prevent it being installed... :)

dcung

#1365 Post by dcung »

Another report/observation.

I noticed that apulse package (apulse-firefox) has /opt/firefox/firefox hardcoded. Hence, to get YouTube sound, you can either edit the file to make Firefox-ESR (in /usr/lib/firefox-esr/) works - (eg. simply get rid of firefox-apulse-full-path, and it picks up from PATH, or something else, up-to-you).

OR you install firefox-mozilla-build which install in /opt/firefox. No need to edit apulse-firefox. (and I uninstalled Firefox-ESR)

I have done both, and either works.

Now that Fred has 'resolved' my PCManFM issue (above), it was time to make a new iso from GUI (full-dog openbox_xfce-jwm_64) - attached build conf file, remove fake gz.

I happened to remove firefox-ESR from mklive build list.
Added apulse and firefox-mozilla-build.
Is there a 'source' somewhere still ignoring you deleting some packages of list? Unless it came back from some dependencies somewhere (?)

firefox-ESR and Thunar are among those packages for this iso.

When I added pcmanfm filemnt-pcmanfm edit-sfs-pcmanfm libfm-modules, I removed thunar thunar-archive-plugin edit-sfs-thunar filemnt-thunar.

But Thunar and Firefox-ESR always 'came back'. I just simply got rid of them afterward.

Cheers.
Attachments
build_setup.conf.gz
Remove Fake gz
(4.97 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
2018-09-25-074356_502x329_scrot.png
(18.67 KiB) Downloaded 295 times

fredx181

#1366 Post by fredx181 »

Hi dcung,

I see in your build_setup.conf , that both firefox-esr and firefox-mozilla-build are selected for install, it should be one or the other, I think, otherwise conflict will occur.
I'm thinking that it would be better to remove the extra repository "ubuntuzilla" (which provides firefox-mozilla-build) because it's creating the problems you experienced, but not sure yet.

About apulse:
I didn't notice earlier, now I found that newest firefox-esr requires pulseaudio (or apulse) for sound to work on e.g. YouTube (the older 52 version of firefox-esr didn't)

Change the line in Firefox-apulse (in usr/share/applications) from
Exec=apulse /opt/firefox/firefox
to just:
Exec=apulse firefox
And it should execute firefox in PATH (probably /usr/bin/firefox) with apulse, so sound should work then if you run Firefox-apulse from Menu.

About Thunar:
In your build config you have "xfce4-places-plugin", it depends on Thunar, so that's probably the reason you couldn't get rid of Thunar.
Btw, are you sure you want this combination of PcmanFM and the xfce4 components without Thunar ?
I tested that kind of setup without Thunar and found that when clicking an icon on the Desktop it gave an error, installing Thunar again solved that.
Maybe better a setup with PcmanFM providing the Desktop ?

Tip:
At a certain point of running mklive-stretch you are asked to run Xterm just before exiting the chroot.
If you choose yes, and then when it appears, type synaptic and you can check everything, remove, install etc...

Fred

dcung

#1367 Post by dcung »

fredx181 wrote:I see in your build_setup.conf , that both firefox-esr and firefox-mozilla-build are selected for install, it should be one or the other, I think, otherwise conflict will occur.
I'm thinking that it would be better to remove the extra repository "ubuntuzilla" (which provides firefox-mozilla-build) because it's creating the problems you experienced, but not sure yet.
That's what I meant.
I deleted firefox-esr from GUI, but when finished, it somehow appears.
The build_setup.conf was not created by me, it was generated. I just posted to show, something put firefox-esr back even after 'deleting' in GUI.

Never mind it, Fred... Minor issue.
Tip:
At a certain point of running mklive-stretch you are asked to run Xterm just before exiting the chroot.
If you choose yes, and then when it appears, type synaptic and you can check everything, remove, install etc...
Thanks, I'll try this....

fredx181

#1368 Post by fredx181 »

dcung wrote:I deleted firefox-esr from GUI, but when finished, it somehow appears.
The build_setup.conf was not created by me, it was generated. I just posted to show, something put firefox-esr back even after 'deleting' in GUI.
Yes, I understood that the build_setup.conf is the generated one, and it should indeed reflect what you edited in the package install sections, but obviously it didn't for you.
I tried to reproduce. but cannot, maybe I'm doing something different than you.
What is it you did exactly ?
I did ./mklive-stretch -gui , chose DDog, and edited the install lists in similar way as you did.

Fred

dcung

#1369 Post by dcung »

Hi Fred,
fredx181 wrote:About Thunar:
In your build config you have "xfce4-places-plugin", it depends on Thunar, so that's probably the reason you couldn't get rid of Thunar.
I didn't know that was also a Thunar dependency.

fredx181 wrote:I tried to reproduce. but cannot, maybe I'm doing something different than you.
I think I know what my mistake was.
I kept doing copy/paste from a 'contaminated' source.

I just made another fresh iso, which include nvidia, apulse firefox-mozilla-build among other things. And firefox-esr didn't appear.

My apology for sending you to a 'wild goose' chase. :oops:

Regards.

fredx181

#1370 Post by fredx181 »

Added to Stretch custom repo:
- Xlunch graphical app launcher, see info here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 32#1003532
Install with synaptic or apt-get:

apt-get update
apt-get install xlunch
- And redshift-gui-lite, see info here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 92#1005692

Only difference is that it's packaged as deb instead of portable.
(and it will replace "redshift-gui" (if installed) )
Install with synaptic or apt-get:

apt-get update
apt-get install redshift-gui-lite
Fred