Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 16 Jul 2018, 12:43
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 78 of 82 [1220 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 Next
Author Message
Galbi


Joined: 21 Sep 2011
Posts: 1034
Location: Bs.As. - Argentina.

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun 2018, 19:19    Post subject:  

dancytron wrote:
Do you have the stretch-x86_64.sgn file in your .../live directory?

Yes, was the first I looked at, and also the stretch-i486.sgn.

_________________
Remember: "pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 3165
Location: holland

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jun 2018, 05:50    Post subject:  

Galbi wrote:
I've been fighting with this the last days and, no way I can't boot any Stretch Dog64 in this machine.
....
....
Any idea?


Not really, can you test if "live-boot" method works ?
Code:
title Stretch Dog 64 live-boot
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /stretch64/live/vmlinuz1 boot=live live-media-path=/stretch64/live/ union=aufs
  initrd /stretch64/live/initrd.img


Fred

_________________
Dog Linux website
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Galbi


Joined: 21 Sep 2011
Posts: 1034
Location: Bs.As. - Argentina.

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jun 2018, 09:13    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Not really, can you test if "live-boot" method works ?

Yes it does, quick and fine. Smile

Can I have persistence?

Thanks.

_________________
Remember: "pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 3165
Location: holland

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jun 2018, 13:41    Post subject:  

Galbi wrote:
fredx181 wrote:
Not really, can you test if "live-boot" method works ?

Yes it does, quick and fine. Smile

Can I have persistence?


Yes, it can, but only save-file and it's a bit more complicated (see below).
But can you please first test for me a modified initrd1.xz (perhaps porteus-boot works with this for you):
https://fredx181.github.io/StretchDog/amd64/Packages/Testing/initrd1.xz
(just replace in the "live" directory)
For kernel 4.0.9-6

Ok, persistence with live-boot:
- Download zipped persistence 1GB here:
http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/1Gb-persistence-or-live-rw.zip
- Extract at the root of the same partition where your stretch64 folder is located.
(it will be found only if it's at the root of the partition)
- Menu.lst entry:
Code:
title Stretch Dog 64 live-boot with persistence
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /stretch64/live/vmlinuz1 boot=live persistence live-media-path=/stretch64/live/ union=aufs
  initrd /stretch64/live/initrd.img


Note: Don't know which build you did, if it contains 2 modules, e.g. 01-filesystem.squashfs and zz_openbox_lx-jwm_firefox.squashfs, then the alpha numerical order needs to be reversed, so rename e.g. zz_openbox_lx-jwm_firefox.squashfs to 00_openbox_lx-jwm_firefox.squashfs
I know this is a bit weird, but it's the only way I could make it work properly with persistence.
The official "live-boot" way would be to place a "filesystem.module" file in the "live" directory with inside the module names that define the order of loading, but somehow that doesn't work for me.
Well.. now I remember again why I prefer the porteus boot method Confused

Fred

_________________
Dog Linux website
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Galbi


Joined: 21 Sep 2011
Posts: 1034
Location: Bs.As. - Argentina.

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jun 2018, 15:20    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
But can you please first test for me a modified initrd1.xz (perhaps porteus-boot works with this for you):
https://fredx181.github.io/StretchDog/amd64/Packages/Testing/initrd1.xz
(just replace in the "live" directory)
For kernel 4.0.9-6

Sorry, the modified version did not work.

But with the original version, I've noticed something. If I boot with initrd.img in the grub line, boots fine. But if I change it for initrd1.xz does not boot and says it can't find Porteus file etc.

Is initrd1.xz a compressed version of initrd.img?

_________________
Remember: "pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 12203
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jun 2018, 15:57    Post subject:  

@Galbi: I have experienced this myself. Here are two possible solutions.

1. Use UUIDs instead of paths in your grub entry. The stretch-live-frugal-install tool in the Starter Kit can do this.

2. Switch to a newer kernel. For your 64bit Stretch, try one from Fatdog.
a. Get the kernel-modules file and rename it with a .squashfs extension.
b. Get the matching vmlinuz file and rename it as vmlinuz1.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 3165
Location: holland

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jun 2018, 16:03    Post subject:  

Galbi wrote:
Sorry, the modified version did not work.

Ok, thanks anyway for testing.
I assume you did test it with the "porteus-boot" menu.lst entry ?
Code:
title Stretch Dog 64
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /stretch64/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/stretch64 changes=/stretch64/live/
  initrd /stretch64/live/initrd1.xz


Quote:
But with the original version, I've noticed something. If I boot with initrd.img in the grub line, boots fine. But if I change it for initrd1.xz does not boot and says it can't find Porteus file etc.

Is initrd1.xz a compressed version of initrd.img?

No, booting with initrd1.xz is "porteus" boot style very different from 'live-boot" (with initrd.img) which is the official Debian style.

Fred

_________________
Dog Linux website
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Galbi


Joined: 21 Sep 2011
Posts: 1034
Location: Bs.As. - Argentina.

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jun 2018, 17:31    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
I assume you did test it with the "porteus-boot" menu.lst entry ?

Yes. I'll do it again, just to be sure.

When the machine it's not used for work, I'll try what you and Bill say and report back.

_________________
Remember: "pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Galbi


Joined: 21 Sep 2011
Posts: 1034
Location: Bs.As. - Argentina.

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun 2018, 09:44    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Ok, persistence with live-boot:
- Download zipped persistence 1GB here:
http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/1Gb-persistence-or-live-rw.zip
- Extract at the root of the same partition where your stretch64 folder is located.
(it will be found only if it's at the root of the partition)
- Menu.lst entry:
Code:
title Stretch Dog 64 live-boot with persistence
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /stretch64/live/vmlinuz1 boot=live persistence live-media-path=/stretch64/live/ union=aufs
  initrd /stretch64/live/initrd.img


This worked! Very Happy

===

rcrsn51 wrote:
1. Use UUIDs instead of paths in your grub entry.

No joy with this.

I want to try this, but not sure what to do in point a.
Quote:
2. Switch to a newer kernel. For your 64bit Stretch, try one from Fatdog.
a. Get the kernel-modules file and rename it with a .squashfs extension.
b. Get the matching vmlinuz file and rename it as vmlinuz1.


Thanks again boys.

_________________
Remember: "pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 12203
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun 2018, 08:48    Post subject:  

Galbi wrote:
I want to try this, but not sure what to do in point a.
Quote:
2. Switch to a newer kernel. For your 64bit Stretch, try one from Fatdog.
a. Get the kernel-modules file and rename it with a .squashfs extension.
b. Get the matching vmlinuz file and rename it as vmlinuz1.


Switch your install back to Porteus boot.

I gave you the link to Fatdog's kernel page.

1. Download the file kernel-modules.sfs-4.12.10
2. Rename it as kernel-modules.sfs-4.12.10.squashfs
3. Download the file vmlinuz-4.12.10
4. Rename it as vmlinuz1
5. Copy the two files into your /live frugal install folder.
6. Reboot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Galbi


Joined: 21 Sep 2011
Posts: 1034
Location: Bs.As. - Argentina.

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun 2018, 12:35    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Galbi wrote:
I want to try this, but not sure what to do in point a.
Quote:
2. Switch to a newer kernel. For your 64bit Stretch, try one from Fatdog.
a. Get the kernel-modules file and rename it with a .squashfs extension.
b. Get the matching vmlinuz file and rename it as vmlinuz1.


Switch your install back to Porteus boot.

I gave you the link to Fatdog's kernel page.

1. Download the file kernel-modules.sfs-4.12.10
2. Rename it as kernel-modules.sfs-4.12.10.squashfs
3. Download the file vmlinuz-4.12.10
4. Rename it as vmlinuz1
5. Copy the two files into your /live frugal install folder.
6. Reboot.

Success !!! Very Happy
with Porteus Boot and keeps changes.

Thanks.

_________________
Remember: "pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 3165
Location: holland

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun 2018, 14:35    Post subject:  

Galbi wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:
Galbi wrote:
I want to try this, but not sure what to do in point a.
Quote:
2. Switch to a newer kernel. For your 64bit Stretch, try one from Fatdog.
a. Get the kernel-modules file and rename it with a .squashfs extension.
b. Get the matching vmlinuz file and rename it as vmlinuz1.


Switch your install back to Porteus boot.

I gave you the link to Fatdog's kernel page.

1. Download the file kernel-modules.sfs-4.12.10
2. Rename it as kernel-modules.sfs-4.12.10.squashfs
3. Download the file vmlinuz-4.12.10
4. Rename it as vmlinuz1
5. Copy the two files into your /live frugal install folder.
6. Reboot.

Success !!! Very Happy
with Porteus Boot and keeps changes.

Thanks.


That's great, thanks for trying and reporting back !

@rcrsn51
Do you have any idea why this 4.12 kernel boots with porteus-boot and not the 4.9 kernel (well, in Galbi's case, works for me).
(and , as you might have noticed above, for Galbi the 4.9 kernel does boot with "live-boot").

Fred

_________________
Dog Linux website
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 12203
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun 2018, 14:39    Post subject:  

I have seen this several times, on newer machines. It is some kind of conflict between the stock 4.9.0 kernel and the Porteus boot method.

If you run the bootup in "debug" mode you can see how Porteus is failing to detect the hard drive. But I don't know what causes the problem.

Almost any Puppy or Fatdog kernel will fix it. But I am surprised that 32bit worked for Galbi while 64bit did not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Galbi


Joined: 21 Sep 2011
Posts: 1034
Location: Bs.As. - Argentina.

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun 2018, 18:31    Post subject:  

For the record, I've used the 4.14.12 kernel version.

The problem with the 4.9.0 kernel happens only in this machine, which has two hard disks, one of them a bit old, perhaps thats why?

In another PC (one Intel i3), newer than this, boots fine.

===

Another question: Which are the libs necesary to have compatibility with 32bit software?

Saludos.

_________________
Remember: "pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 3165
Location: holland

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jun 2018, 14:14    Post subject:  

Galbi wrote:
Which are the libs necesary to have compatibility with 32bit software?

It depends on what you want. After doing:
Code:
dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt-get update
mv -f /etc/apt/preferences /etc/apt/preferences.bak # must do this, otherwise possibly errors

you'll have access to 32 bit packages by adding :i386 , like this:
Code:
apt-get install <package>:i386

Or install local 32 bit package:
Code:
dpkg -i <package>_i386.deb
apt-get -f install


I once wanted my portable thunderbird -32 bit to run on 64 bit and the following worked for me:
Code:
dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt-get update
mv -f /etc/apt/preferences /etc/apt/preferences.bak # must do this, otherwise errors
apt-get install libc6:i386 libatk1.0-0:i386 libcairo2:i386 libfontconfig1:i386 libfreetype6:i386 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0:i386 libglib2.0-0:i386 libgtk2.0-0:i386 libgtk-3-0:i386 libpango1.0-0:i386 libsm6:i386 libxext6:i386 libxrender1:i386 libxt6:i386 libasound2:i386 libdbus-glib-1-2:i386

I think works OK also to install above first and then install 32 bit wine (wine:i386).

Note: will take a lot of space.

Fred

_________________
Dog Linux website
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 78 of 82 [1220 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1593s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0845s) ][ GZIP on ]