Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
AndresC2

#81 Post by AndresC2 »

Hello Fred! :D

Debootstrap have this:

--exclude=alpha,beta

Comma separated list of packages which will be removed from download and extract lists. WARNING: you can and probably will exclude essential packages, be careful using this option.

maybe exclude "no essential apps" for build a minidog32.iso , like tinycore.

https://manpages.debian.org/stretch/deb ... .8.en.html

this show me Essential and Priority Apps but I not have too much experience in linux so I dont want break the system.

#dpkg-query -Wf '${Package;-40}${Essential}\n' | grep yes
#dpkg-query -Wf '${Package;-40}${Priority}\n' | grep -E "required"

By the way your code work.:D

Code: Select all

apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) aufs-dkms/code]
[code]update-initramfs -t -c -k $(uname -r)

union=aufs
and later:

umount /lib/live/mount/overlay
mount -t tmpfs -o "remount,size=90%" tmpfs /lib/live/mount/overlay

Just Amazing Fred!!!!!!!

Thank you so much.

this way you can install deboostrap in ram /root/debian/chroot only take care about your ram, in my case i have only 512mb ram with this code i have 450mb.

apt-get install jwm
mksquashfs overlay -ef /root/list /lib/live/mount/medium/wheezy/live/01-jwm.squashfs

the flag -ef "exclude file list"

in my list:

.wh..wh.orph
.wh..wh.plnk
.wh..wh.aufs
media
tmp
mnt

see you Fred. :D

fredx181

#82 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks Andres !!

Good that you can set the tmpfs size to 90% now
Btw, for info, porteus-boot style also has similar option, by just adding to the kernel boot command line e.g.:

ramsize=90%
I had a look at what's installed by debootstrap when using --variant=minbase and I really think it's minimal enough.
Sooner or later most of these package will be installed anyway as dependencies from other packages.

Best Regards,

Fred

zagreb999

Virtual_memory

#83 Post by zagreb999 »

regards

where to add-porteus fresh boot-this
ramsize=90% ?

how to increase ram memory?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_memory

fredx181

#84 Post by fredx181 »

Hi zagreb, just at the kernel boot line e.g.

kernel /stretch/live/vmlinuz1 from=/stretch noauto ramsize=90%
If without ramsize=..., the default will be used, which is 60%

Fred

rcrsn51

#85 Post by rcrsn51 »

See below.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 02:18, edited 1 time in total.

zagreb999

ramsize

#86 Post by zagreb999 »

thanks fred

now i am in xenialdog 32 bit
installed with unetbootin
and i can not find where to add
ramsize

please see

default menu.c32
prompt 0
menu title UNetbootin
timeout 1

label ubnentry0
menu label XenialDog Porteus Always Fresh
kernel /casper/vmlinuz
append initrd=/casper/initrd1.xz from=/ nomagic base_only norootcopy

label ubnentry1
menu label XenialDog Porteus in RAM (no save)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz
append initrd=/casper/initrd1.xz noauto from=/ copy2ram

label ubnentry2
menu label XenialDog Porteus in RAM (save in changes=/changes.dat file)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz
append initrd=/casper/initrd1.xz noauto from=/ copy2ram changes=/changes.dat

label ubnentry3
menu label XenialDog casper-boot (no save)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz
append initrd=/casper/initrd.lz boot=casper ignore_uuid cdrom-detect/try-usb=true showmounts union=aufs

label ubnentry4
menu label XenialDog casper-boot in RAM (no save)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz
append initrd=/casper/initrd.lz boot=casper ignore_uuid cdrom-detect/try-usb=true showmounts union=aufs toram

label ubnentry5
menu label XenialDog casper-boot in RAM (save in casper-rw file or partition)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz
append initrd=/casper/initrd.lz boot=casper ignore_uuid cdrom-detect/try-usb=true showmounts union=aufs toram persistent

fredx181

#87 Post by fredx181 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Here is a simple ISO/SFS file mounter of Stretch Live. Remove the fake .gz extension
Added to the Stretchdog 32 and 64 bit repositories, thanks!

@zagreb999

Like this for example:

label ubnentry0
menu label XenialDog Porteus Always Fresh
kernel /casper/vmlinuz
append initrd=/casper/initrd1.xz from=/ nomagic base_only norootcopy ramsize=90%
What this does is: increase the amount of space in tmpfs directory (/mnt/live/memory/changes) where the changes are written to (in RAM)
Can be useful e.g. if you want to install a lot programs in one session specially if you have small RAM (like Andres: 512 MB) to not run out of space very quickly.
Running in RAM you are when using Always Fresh, or when using the EXIT: parameter. (porteus-boot)
Setting to 90% makes not much sense if you have lots of RAM, e.g. 4 GB.

Fred

rcrsn51

#88 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is PeasyMount v1.1. It has a .desktop file, so it's easier to do the ISO/SFS file associations.

Remove the fake .gz extension.
Attachments
peasymount_1.1.deb.gz
(3.39 KiB) Downloaded 105 times

anikin

peasymount

#89 Post by anikin »

Modified it a little bit: 1) added xzm (Porteus module extention) 2) replaced pcmanfm with rox and ran a quick test on Devuan Jessie. No issues so far. I noticed you don't put the Depends: line in the control file. Maybe it's worth adding at least <Depends: libc6> to make it shine and be more standards compliant? Just a thought. I love your apps.
Attachments
peasymount01.jpeg
(9.88 KiB) Downloaded 464 times
peasymount02.jpeg
(23.27 KiB) Downloaded 460 times
peasymount03.jpeg
(31.69 KiB) Downloaded 460 times

fredx181

#90 Post by fredx181 »

Updated 2017-08-07 mklive-stretch

mklive-stretch script (right-click > Save link as)

See here for updates and fixes

And More Info Here

Not as barebones as it was and ISO size is even smaller :)

Fred

rcrsn51

#91 Post by rcrsn51 »

PeasyMount is a simple ISO/Squash file mounter.

Update: V1.4 can also mount Puppy .2fs|.3fs|.4fs savefiles and .img files made by tools like dd.

Remove the fake .gz extension.

--------------------------
Attachments
peasymount_1.4.deb.gz
Updated 2017-12-29
(3.87 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 30 Dec 2017, 16:23, edited 6 times in total.

jd7654

#92 Post by jd7654 »

fredx181 wrote:Updated 2017-08-07 mklive-stretch
Tried the script on DD64-Jessie and it completed, and produced bootable frugal files.
But a few new issues introduced:
- touchpad wasn't working, which did work in all previous Puppys and Dogs, and previous DevLive from original script. I plugged in a USB mouse and that worked.
- wifi not working, it did work with previous DebLive but don't remember if I had to fiddle with it or anything. Can't seem to connect WPA with rt2800pci.

Put the produced 157MB ISO on a E2B USB and tried on another laptop.
The touchpad worked, but it was in some strange "whole screen" tablet mode or something, never saw that before. Very hard to use with tiny touchpad mapping to entire 15" screen. Maybe that is a clue as to what changed that broke other laptop touchpad.

rcrsn51

#93 Post by rcrsn51 »

@jd7654:
I haven't tried the newest script yet. But in previous builds, some firmware like your rt2860.bin was hiding somewhere. Maybe inside the initrd.

I wonder if it has now disappeared.

fredx181

#94 Post by fredx181 »

Hi jd7654

The difference with previous script is that xserver-xorg-input-evdev is installed, had to do that to make adjusting mouse acceleration work (lxinput, menu entry Preferences > Keyboard and mouse)

If you like to experiment, try removing xserver-xorg-input-evdev package and install xserver-xorg-input-libinput (or any other xserver-xorg-input-*) package maybe ?

Thanks for testing, I expected such problems btw with such a minimal build.

EDIT:
rcrsn51 wrote:I haven't tried the newest script yet. But in previous builds, some firmware like your rt2860.bin was hiding somewhere. Maybe inside the initrd.
Didn't change anything for that AFAIK, @jd7654, could be that you need to install some firmware package to make wifi work
@rcrsn51, will add your latest peasymount to the dog repositories, thanks!

Fred

rcrsn51

#95 Post by rcrsn51 »

@Fred: I tried the new build script.

1. Some additional apps like pFind and pBurn are being installed, although they are not in the lists. How do I remove them?

2. Regarding firmware: There is no /lib/firmware folder but synaptic claims that a bunch of firmware has loaded. My r8169 PCI network card needs firmware and dmesg says that it was NOT loaded, but the card works anyway.

Bill

belham2

#96 Post by belham2 »

rcrsn51 wrote:PeasyMount v1.2.

I added a NoDisplay line to the .desktop file. So once you have made your file associations, you can remove it from the menus.

rcrsn51---PeasyMount---Outfreakingstanding! 8)

Not being able to rapidly and easily mount ISOs and SESes from other dogs and pups that was driving me nutso when I'd do a new script build. This little thing whacked the ball outta the park, clearing center field easily :wink: Mucho Gracias!

dancytron

#97 Post by dancytron »

dancytron wrote:Built another one. I attempted to add all the DD specific programs and test a few.

/snip

It seems when I use save2flash that it doesn't flush the memory like the newer version does. In other words, after I installed Chrome, it seemed like each time I used save2flash it was saving that whole huge amount rather than just what I'd added since the last time I used save2flash. Or I might just be imagining it?

/snip
I just built one with the new script. This issue appears to be fixed.

belham2

#98 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:Updated 2017-08-07 mklive-stretch

mklive-stretch script (right-click > Save link as)

See here for updates and fixes

And More Info Here

Not as barebones as it was and ISO size is even smaller :)

Fred

Fred,

Hmmmm, the new script....I don't know.....what happened to the beautiful NAKED build lady I was getting before this script changed everything?? Now, there's other stuff getting stuck in the build, and thus the beautiful lady is not so naked anymore :cry:

jd7654

#99 Post by jd7654 »

fredx181 wrote:Hi jd7654

The difference with previous script is that xserver-xorg-input-evdev is installed, had to do that to make adjusting mouse acceleration work (lxinput, menu entry Preferences > Keyboard and mouse)

If you like to experiment, try removing xserver-xorg-input-evdev package and install xserver-xorg-input-libinput (or any other xserver-xorg-input-*) package maybe ?

Thanks for testing, I expected such problems btw with such a minimal build.

EDIT:

Didn't change anything for that AFAIK, @jd7654, could be that you need to install some firmware package to make wifi work

That was my bad on the Wifi. I was moving around testing and the PC where Wifi worked on original script was ath9k chip. Adding /lib/firmware did make it work for this rt2870.

As for the touchpad, I see that both evdev and libinput input drivers are in StretchDog, so I take it that the functionality will return once build is more complete?

Just curious: what would you say is the percentage of how close this script is to being the Dog equivalent of what WoofCE is to Puppy? In terms of being able to make a complete Debian Dog with all the bells and whistles. Roughly.

Thanks

rcrsn51

#100 Post by rcrsn51 »

jd7654 wrote:EDIT:Didn't change anything for that AFAIK, @jd7654, could be that you need to install some firmware package to make wifi work
Confirmed. Apparently my internal r8169 adapter works without its firmware. When I added "realtek-firmware" to the build list, the new ISO had a /lib/firmware folder and the dmesg errors were gone.

Now I'm curious. If this build system is NOT including firmware, then how are people getting their PCI network cards to work?