Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 15 Dec 2017, 14:06
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Need a quick 'refresher' course on swapping kernels...
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 02 Aug 2017, 06:29    Post subject:  

Morning, all.

Well. I think, in all honesty, it's going to be easier to just write this particular webcam off as too much hassle.....and get hold of another UVC-compliant one. I've already got one in mind (a Creative Live! HD model), and almost the first thing the website goes out of its way to inform you is that it's UVC-compliant.

I'll chalk this other one up to experience.....and remember in future to make sure that what I'm buying will work, before I lay out the 'readies'! I've got a nephew who'll be happy to take it off my hands; it'll work fine for him in Whinedoze.

Mike. Wink

nic007

PostPosted: Wed 02 Aug 2017, 06:44    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
Morning, all.

Well. I think, in all honesty, it's going to be easier to just write this particular webcam off as too much hassle.....and get hold of another UVC-compliant one. I've already got one in mind (a Creative Live! HD model), and almost the first thing the website goes out of its way to inform you is that it's UVC-compliant.

I'll chalk this other one up to experience.....and remember in future to make sure that what I'm buying will work, before I lay out the 'readies'! I've got a nephew who'll be happy to take it off my hands; it'll work fine for him in Whinedoze.

Mike. Wink

Mike, I've been using XP the past week and everything is working as it should (I'm particularly impressed with the sound quality)....Just pulling your leg, pity you can't get it working.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 02 Aug 2017, 11:53    Post subject: For What its Worth  

Hi All,

Following up on my previous post, I am currently posting from a Franken-X-Slacko. It more or less thinks it's X-Slacko 4.2. See Attached. However, desiring the lighter builtin packages from Slacko 5.6 or 5.7, I took the puppy_xslacko_2,3,sfs and renamed it puppy_xslacko_4.2. I then downloaded the kernel hugh_4.9.13_xenial_nopae, [I would have preferred pae, but there wasn't any] and removed its description, leaving only vmlinuz; and renamed its kernal_modules...sfs, zdrv_xslacko_4.2.sfs. I retained the initrd.gz from xslacko_4.2..

So, Franken_xslacko has the older/lighter-weight builtin applications of Slacko 5.6-or-5.7 (whichever rg66 used as his base) but can manage the newer applications currently being published. Note, however, on the screenshot that glib is only 2.15. If I keep this setup, I'll probably install watchdog's palemoon with glib built in. The glib report, however, may be in error. I'm posting from slimjet 13 (not yet having downloaded a slackware-compatible 'chrome-clone'.

As the 4.9.13 zdrv can manage Mike Walsh's HP2300 HD webcam, perhaps some similar concoction would solve his problem.

mikesLr
franken-xslacko.png
Description  Franken-xslacko
png

Download 
Filename  franken-xslacko.png 
Filesize  112.82 KB 
Downloaded  31 Time(s) 
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 02 Aug 2017, 12:19    Post subject:  

Sorted; the easy way.

I bought myself one of these earlier this afternoon:-

https://www.carid.com/creative/live-cam-sync-hd-webcam-mpn-vf0770.html

A Creative Live! Sync HD webcam.....that is guaranteed UVC-compliant. Aside from the fact that 'Works with Linux' is plastered all over the box it came in ("Really..??!"), I decided to peruse this list from the guys who maintain the UVC-driver:-

http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/

#12 down from the top of the list, there it is. Makes all the difference; you plug it in, you fire it up, it just works. Research definitely pays off, y'know..! Very Happy No flickering, no jumping, no glitches.....no hassle. It almost reminds me of Windows.....but without the aggravation. Laughing

I mean, to me, the fact that these guys have gone to all the trouble to develop a standard that works across the board in the Linux world, plus the fact that more & more manufacturers are now making kit that complies with that standard.....it's kind of a no-brainer, really. Sure, it means doing a bit more research to find them.....but at the end of the day, it's worth it to have gear that just 'works', OOTB.

And the fact that our local Argos catalogue shop had it on a 33% reduced offer today didn't hurt, either..!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As supplied, it only comes with a single tilting hinge; no swivel/pan/tilting ball-joint thingy. Coincidentally, I'd got the stand and ball-joint thing from another old webcam, which has been gathering dust out in the garage. I'd hung onto that part when the cam itself went south, because the ball-joint actually unscrews from the base of the cam housing...which is neat. I knew it'd come in useful one day...

And it has. One hole, carefully drilled in exactly the right place, and secured with a wide flange #0 Philips-head screw.....the two look like they were made for each other..! Smile

---------------------------

@mikeslr:- Christ, Mike. Now that's a right old mixture. Franken-Slacko, indeed...!! Shocked Laughing

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Wed 02 Aug 2017, 18:46; edited 2 times in total
mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 02 Aug 2017, 13:16    Post subject:  

Hi Mike,

Glad you sorted it out.

As for my frankenpup, I probably won't keep it. Most the applications I actually use are the ones I install/sfs-load. So the benefit of the older, less resource hungry apps of 5.6/7 really isn't that important, especially as this Mobo is quad-core with 8 Gb of RAM. And while I'm very pro-xfce, the 4.10 version of xslacko 2.3 isn't nearly as elegant as the 4.12 version in later xslackos.

But it was an interesting exercise. And its good to know that the Hugh-xenialpup kernel (albeit no-pae) and zdrv work under xSlacko. What I'll probably do is setup the current xslacko, but upgrade its kernel and zdrv.

mikesLr
Puppyt

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov 2017, 21:32    Post subject:
Subject description: My First Kernel Swap

I've been in a rush lately and somehow convinced myself I've been using TahrPup64 on my current rig - octa-core i7-2600 3.4GHz CPU, 20GB DDR3 RAM. Was only using 3.5GB max ram running fslint to check for duplicates on two 1 TB HDDs and nearly 2 days later I realised I was in TahrPup32 and that all the paint had dried and I was on a glacially slow boat to China...
Anywho I pulled the plug on that and did a fresh install of TahrPup64 6.0.6 (k3.14.79) and was looking to update to the kernel to anything 4x. 01micko's 4.1.11 kernel borked and lost ALSA, eth0 and refused to change clunky Xorg screen dimensions. So I went to http://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/puppylinux/huge_kernels/ and downloaded the 4.9.30 Slacko version. Gtkhash checked out ok, I extracted the two files into the TahrPup64 frugal directory. Renamed "kernel-modules.sfs-4.9.30-s64-700" as "zdrv_tahr64_6.0.6.sfs" and "vmlinuz-4.9.30-s64-700" as just "vmlinuz". Rebooted into a spanking new 4.9.30, resumed straight from where I left off with my savefile.
Hmm broke once while I was typing this, dropping out of xwin. Perhaps it was something to do with running fslint 2.44 in the background, without the 32-bit compatibility libs loaded. Dunno - my first attempt at a kernel upgrade, so will update if flakiness continues.
On the kernel side of things, that is

mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 17 Nov 2017, 00:05    Post subject: Create zdrv for Slacko 5.6 or 5.7 with a Simple Remaster?  

Hi all,

Revisiting this thread, I wonder if a something simple may have been overlooked?

Mike Walsh wanted to swap kernels, replacing a newer "Hugh Kernel" for that built into Slacko 5.7. The Hugh Kernel consists of a vmlinuz-xxx and a kernel-modules.sfs. To switch kernels, the -xxx ending of vmlinuz-xxx is deleted and the file then substituted for the original vmlinuz. The kernel-modules.sfs would be renamed "zdrv_slacko_5.7.sfs" and substituted for the original zdrv_slacko_5.7.sfs. But Slacko 5.7 didn't originally have a zdrv_slacko_5.7.sfs: its firmware was built into its vmlinuz.

Would a zdrv_slacko_5.7.sfs be created by simply remastering and choosing to create one during that process? Is that choice available?

I'll leave attempting such remaster to someone actually wanting to update Slacko 5.7's kernel.

mikesLr
Page 2 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: