Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

READ-ONLY-MODE: PLEASE DO NOT POST NEW STUFF!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile       

The time now is Mon 10 Aug 2020, 12:49
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Dinosaur-P4-users which pups have you best luck with?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
belham2

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jul 2017, 06:28    Post subject:  Dinosaur-P4-users which pups have you best luck with?  

Hi all,

The title says it all: on one of my setups which I am posting from now, I've a 2 decade old P4 running on an old ECS motherboard with AGP graphic card with 800x600 resolution max (ah, the good, ole' days, lol). This all runs completely from a booted CD as there no hard drives or otherwise on this setup. I figured on murga here there were also some of similar you old dinosaurs still out there running these old beasts once in awhile. Thus, I was wondering which pup & which version are you finding runs the best with your P4 & hardware?

On this T-Rex, I currently use rerwin's excellent Lucid 5.2.8, updated as much as reasonably possible. Lucid 5.2.8 runs good (below is a pic of roxterm free-m & PupSysInfo) but a slight problem I'm having is I am close approaching the ceiling of 1GB ram I have when the Lucid ISO boots & loads up---it's at 800MB when it's all booted up and ole T-Rex is noticeably slowing down.

I would like to see if I can get this back down around to 500MB RAM after boot, while still having a somewhat decent modern-day browser, abiword, etc--just a few of the modern-day amenities from keeping going insane using this setup Laughing

Thanks for any feedback!

P.S. Am I mistaken in understanding this PupSysInfo and everything is the opposite, in that it is only using ~157MB ram actually "used' and it is the ~839MB that is "free"?? If so, maybe the T-Rex is just dying. Or does this old setup just have 512MB ram?? PupSysInfo is confusing as heck sometimes....
roxterm-free-m-shows.png
 Description   
 Filesize   52.84 KB
 Viewed   383 Time(s)

roxterm-free-m-shows.png

Pentium4.png
 Description   
 Filesize   97.83 KB
 Viewed   396 Time(s)

Pentium4.png

nic007

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jul 2017, 07:08    Post subject:  

I have a p4 with only 384MB RAM. Wary runs well. It's more about the available RAM. Even old P4 CPU speed is more than enough. You need a swapfile/partition if you don't have enough RAM (this will slow down things). I see you are running from CD, that's slow and your options are limited. I would run off a cheap flashdrive if your machine have usb slots (best would be to get old HD though).
mostly_lurking

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jul 2017, 10:19    Post subject:  

My old computer, from around 2006, had a 3GHz P4 and ~960 MB of usable RAM . When I first used Puppy on it (I think that was in 2011), I used the then-current Lucid 5.2.5, but it was consuming too much RAM - about twice as much as one would expect from a system of its size -, so I switched to Wary 5.1.2, which used up considerably less. I don't think Lucid is generally much more memory-hungry - I ran it on my current machine once or twice, and if I remember correctly, it used up less RAM than on the old one. Maybe it was some hardware compatibility issue with the P4 machine.

belham2 wrote:
P.S. Am I mistaken in understanding this PupSysInfo and everything is the opposite, in that it is only using ~157MB ram actually "used' and it is the ~839MB that is "free"?? If so, maybe the T-Rex is just dying. Or does this old setup just have 512MB ram?? PupSysInfo is confusing as heck sometimes....

According to your second screenshot, you have 1010 MB of usable RAM, out of which 173 are currently unused, 159 are being used, and the rest is cached or buffered, which means that some programs or system processes have "reserved" it for themselves, but are not necessarily using it right now. (As for those contradicting numbers: it seems that sometimes the cached/buffered memory is counted towards the used RAM, and sometimes towards the free RAM. Doing some math: 173 free + 159 used + 107 buffered + 571 cached = 1010.)

You can try the following command to free some of that cached memory:
Code:
sync && echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

How effective it is depends on how much of the cached memory is actually unused.

Last edited by mostly_lurking on Thu 27 Jul 2017, 14:40; edited 1 time in total
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jul 2017, 11:53    Post subject:  

Hi, belham2.

I take it you're aware that the 845 chipset (used by the majority of the P4s) will actually support up to 2 GB of RAM?

My old Dell Inspiron (an original 1100 from 2002) originally came with a 2.2 GHz 'Celly' and just 128 MB of RAM. To this day, I'll never know how in the hell it managed to run XP.....

After a few years, I upgraded the RAM to the 'official' max of 1 GB. A while later, I bunged a 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4 in there, and, upon doing some research, found that the chipset would handle another 1 GB on top of that.

For a couple of weeks, I actually had 2 GB RAM on there (which made a lot of difference).....but she currently runs with 1.5 GB of RAM. One of the new 1 GB modules turned out to be faulty......you do the maths!

She's run

Tahrpup
Slacko (both 560 & 570)
Racy 5.5
X-Slacko 232
Precise 571, &
Lucid 5.2.8.7

Currently running Slacko 570 (a firm favourite of mine), Xenialpup 7081, and X-Slacko 232.

I guess Racy actually ran the fastest on there.....but with that ancient glibc, it needed too much in the way of 'workarounds' (and some of the compromises I just wasn't prepared to put up with.) I do like my Chrome browser...

Out of the current set, I guess 570's the most responsive (although Xenialpup and X-Slacko come a very close second!)

Horses for courses. I'm not really after outright performance; I have plenty of time to play with...

Mike. Wink

foxpup

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jul 2017, 13:36    Post subject: P3  

Hi belham2

I ran my first puppies on an amd palomino (like P3), with hdd and 1G ram and usb. First I used Tahr 6.0.2, but changed to Wary 5.5, frugal install on the hdd.
Wary is best. I could even install the nVidia driver for the ancient GeForce 256 graphic card. Tahr needed a bit rebuilding, for example because it has some SSE2 apps.
tallboy

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jul 2017, 02:17    Post subject:  

I run a remastered Lucid 5.2.8.7 in my stone-age linuxbox, with Palemoon 27.2.1 as browser, this is a printout from Hardinfo as I write now: Look further down for printout from PupSysInfo.

-Computer-
Processor : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz
Memory : 1026MB (171MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : Puppy Linux
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Fri Jul 28 08:12:07 2017
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Intel(R) 865G GEM 20091221 2009Q4 x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : ENS1371 - Ensoniq AudioPCI
Audio Adapter : ICH4 - Intel ICH5
-Input Devices-
Logitech USB Keyboard
Logitech USB Keyboard
USB OPTICAL MOUSE
Power Button
Power Button
PC Speaker
-Printers (CUPS)-
CUPS-PDF
pdf_writer : <i>Default</i>
-SCSI Disks-
ATA WDC WD400BB-00DE
TEAC DW-224E-A

From PupSysInfo
▶—— COMPUTER MEMORY ——◀

Personal Storage: RAM Disk
Size Used Free Use%
3.5G 130M 3.4G 4%

Memory Allocation:
Total RAM: 1002 MB
Used RAM: 617 MB
Free RAM: 385 MB
Buffers: 28 MB
Cached: 445 MB
Total Swap: 6159 MB
Free Swap: 5876 MB

Actual Used RAM: 144 MB Used - (buffers + cached)
Actual Free RAM: 858 MB Free + (buffers + cached)

BTW; my linuxbox at home has only 512MB RAM, and runs the same Lucid

tallboy

bigpup

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jul 2017, 11:38    Post subject:  

Quote:
This all runs completely from a booted CD as there no hard drives or otherwise on this setup

So, I assume you are saving to the CD.
Loading the save into memory, is going to use up memory, but it is probably what the cache memory is doing.

Quote:
PUPMODE 77

This is for the multisession CD or DVD. In this case, the persistent storage is composed of folders on the CD/DVD. At each shutdown, the session is saved to a folder, so the CD/DVD accumulates folders. At bootup, these folders are read in reverse order and loaded into ramdisk.

At bootup, the folders are read from the CD/DVD and loaded into the second layer (off-orange). During a session, new and changed directories and files will be written to the top layer (off-green). At shutdown, the top layer is written as a new folder on the CD/DVD.

If you want to move to a newer Puppy.
Try Tahrpup 6.0.5

Galbi

PostPosted: Sat 29 Jul 2017, 20:26    Post subject:  

Today I'm testing
*** TrinityDog, Stretch versions 32-bit ***
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111075

All working fine OOTB.
TrinyDogStretch.png
 Description   
 Filesize   220.63 KB
 Viewed   210 Time(s)

TrinyDogStretch.png

Ananda98

PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug 2017, 10:58    Post subject: Re: Dinosaur-P4-users which pups have you best luck with?  

I run Puppy Linux 4.3 in my Pentium 4, 1.8 Ghz, 256 MB of RAM., full install. Run smooth and fast... Smile

But, sometimes it become slow when I should do 'hard' job, like playing music and editing many documents in LibreOffice 3.5 at the same time.
jd7654

PostPosted: Sun 06 Aug 2017, 22:06    Post subject:  

Ah, the venerable P4. Yeah, still have some from that era when Puppy was born. There's quite a wide range of performance, but most are right on the edge of barely being able to run today's apps. The P4 is bare minimum now to even run Youtube, etc.

I also like Slacko 5.7 for P4, and it also works better (more compatible) than Wary/Racy on many machines from P4 all the way up thru Core i7 in my experience. Puppy with JWM/Rox is the key to keeping these machines alive and functional.

Actually, for best speed, I also still use Quirky April on those boxes, and it runs even better than Slacko. Anything other than JWM/Rox like even LXDE or XFCE is a noticeable slowdown. But AntiX frugal install with IceWM is pretty decent too.
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: