(Far faster) Firefox 55 due in August

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Moose On The Loose

#16 Post by Moose On The Loose »

musher0 wrote:"Superior, they said,
Never gives up her dead
When the gales of November
come early."

That ship was the Edmund Fitzgerald, a laker, not the Titanic.
And the title of the song is "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald".
I had taken the "she may have dove deep and took water" line as being like the bronco would sink. If the hatches are not fully secured on a ore carrier, the bow going under water can lead to a quite sudden sinking. Water goes into the hold via the forward hatch and the bow suddenly gets a lot heavier.

It appears that this is not what happened. Long after the song was written the wreck was found. It appears that the waves were so tall that the bottom of the ship hit a big tall rock.

I still maintain that nobody is going to make a movie or a song about the sinking of the bronco.

perdido

#17 Post by perdido »

Moose On The Loose wrote: It appears that this is not what happened. Long after the song was written the wreck was found. It appears that the waves were so tall that the bottom of the ship hit a big tall rock.

I still maintain that nobody is going to make a movie or a song about the sinking of the bronco.
Hmm, the going story used to be that seperate big waves hit both the bow and stern at nearly the same time,
the middle of the ore-laden ship collapsing in the middle due to no support and it broke in half.

Anyways, there is a tribute video using Gordon Lightfoots song on youtube somewhere. At least used to be...
Found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgI8bta-7aw

Firefox big heavy and cumbersome, like the Edmond Fitzgerald.

prehistoric

#18 Post by prehistoric »

Just to keep this slightly on-topic, I am posting from Firefox 55.0.2 on Fatdog 710.

I am less convinced that the Edmond Fitzgerald hit a rock due to wave action than others. Even huge waves don't often make that much vertical difference in ships long enough to span several waves. The EF was about 800 feet long.

I favor the theory of structural failure after flooding. You can check the substantial difference between the depth loaded and in ballast on photographs. Waves of 35 feet, as reported at the time, would reach the deck when EF was loaded. The stern is detached on the bottom, suggesting flooding near the stern just prior to sinking. It would have been difficult for the bridge crew to see this in bad weather.

The EF was a bulk ore carrier with a heavy load, and this class of shipping has an awful record in waters so deep you never have to worry about hitting rocks while afloat. Here's a case that lingers with anyone who has studied it. I have seen a long video about the loss during typhoon Orchid, and the search for an explanation, but can only find short clips at the moment.

They actually found that wreck under about 3 km. of water. (There is some bad information on the web. I'm still trying to figure out how anyone can describe a ship that sank between Canada and Japan as sinking in the South China Sea. Another proof there is no such thing as unutterable nonsense.)

Detailed analysis showed that the forward compartments did not collapse when it sank, showing they were already filled with water. Other evidence showed the forward ventilators were torn off before the ship sank. The crew could not see what was happening because this was nearly 1,000 ft/300 m. from the bridge during a serious typhoon. Flooding that compartment was enough to cause the ship to dive under a wave and never come up.

A very similar bulk carrier was lost in the south Atlantic last year.

I don't know about the seaworthiness of Broncos, but I had a VW beetle that floated on a flooded street -- while I was driving it.

charlie6

cannot open url from command line

#19 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
Here running a fresh install of FF 55.0.3 on Tahrpup-6.0.6 32 bits (just installed and go).

as an example, doing in terminal

Code: Select all

root# firefox http://www.gcad3d.org
root#
as also

root# firefox www.gcad3d.org
root#
only open the FF start page.
There is no error message nor comment.

It worked though on earlier FF versions.
I browsed the web as also this forum without finding relevant to this.

I also tried

root# firefox -new-tab http://www.gcad3d.org
root#
which also opens a FF star page.

Thanks for any advice.
Charlie

Sailor Enceladus

#20 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Tried the FF55 on Mozilla site in Slacko 6.9.9.9 and installed gtk3 and pulseaudio. Contrary to the title of this thread, it was not "far faster" at all, I think it was actually slower than the included FF52 ESR overall. Can't say I'm surprised. Maybe they meant "faster on the latest hardware", I'm still running a single-core Pentium M CPU, or perhaps it was all just marketing fluff.

labbe5

change of mind after 10 + years of using Firefox

#21 Post by labbe5 »

I find Firefox not satisfying anymore. For me, looking for another browser is a major change of mind.

Opera 45 seems a good candidate, with a built-in VPN, instead of using some third-party VPN app. A deb file is available on Opera website. At installation time, we are given the choice to upgrade package when a new Opera is available. More goodies to discover.

Palemoon seems a good candidate too, but being based on Firefox, it is not a first choice. It has a very good Linux installer.

I need to find a RSS Feed reader to replace the built-in RSS feed reader of Firefox, but there are plenty of them for Linux.

Chrome, being closely linked to Google, is my last choice.

Chromium, while open source, which is good, does not make it a good choice, i have had problems using it in the past with Puppy and Dog, not even launching sometimes, and is unusable as root. But it has a security feature similar to firejail.

I definitely will go for Opera. I will give it a try. It seems the best of all.

I feel sorry for Firefox, but developement is out of whack. Sometimes i do not have sound (it needs pulseaudio). In the near future, all addons will be deprecated, and what else?

Moat

Re: change of mind after 10 + years of using Firefox

#22 Post by Moat »

labbe5 wrote:I feel sorry for Firefox, but developement is out of whack.
Amen. Breaks my heart. :( Have you tried (Chromium based) Vivaldi? Pretty acceptable alternative - on my Win7 machine, anyways. No extensive testing, though.

Bob

spiritwild

#23 Post by spiritwild »

I agree. No faster to me either. I still have it installed but have switched to iron. It seems to be way more responsive on my system.