Any Ardour for 64bits?

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
Rattlehead

Any Ardour for 64bits?

#1 Post by Rattlehead »

I've (bitterly) realized that there is no 64 bits version of Ardour available for Puppy. Is anybody up to taking Puppy audio production into the 64 bits era? Any version will do, even 3 or 2.

I don't know if it helps, but I found this YouTube video that shows how to compile it for ubuntu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBTQKm74M7w

If someone is up to the task, I will dedicate that person a song in my next album.

(Additionally, if we live in the same area, I will also wash his car, walk his dog... :P )

Gobbi

#2 Post by Gobbi »

Fatdog64-710 has ardour 4.1.0-xx86_64-1,txz in it's repository .

Rattlehead

#3 Post by Rattlehead »

Thank you for you reply, Gobbi. That piece of info could not be found by searching through this forum.

I've tested FatDog64-710 and it looks promising, however it runs the kernel 4.4.35, and anything below 4.8 (so I've read and experienced), does not detect my wlan.

I've then tried to run the change_kernels script, to "transplant" XenialPup's kernel (4.9.15), something that I've successfully done already with Tahr64 6.0.5. However FatDog does not have such script.

Then I've tried to do the transplant manually, but the contents of FatDog seem to be non standard:

Code: Select all

boot.catalog
dummy
efiboot.img
fatdog.png
fix-usb.sh
grub.cfg
help
initrd
isolinux.bin
isolinux.cfg
vesamenu.c32
vmlinuz
The files to be replaced are vmlinuz and zdrv. There is a vmlinuz, but nothing similar to zdrv (I think it could also be under the name xxx-modules). Maybe FatDog works under a different paradigm? Is there some way I can try this kernel change?

Or maybe other people who can corroborate having 64bits Ardour in a different pupplet?

SFR

#4 Post by SFR »

Rattlehead wrote:Maybe FatDog works under a different paradigm? Is there some way I can try this kernel change?
Check this out: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/faqs/kernel.html
Btw, better don't use kernels from other Puppies in Fatdog, only those from the repo.

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

Rattlehead

#5 Post by Rattlehead »

Thank you for the reference, SFR. The instructions were very clear. Unfortunately, after installing the only kernel that could work for me, 4.10.8 (as I needed 4.8 or higher) it still does not detect my wifi.

Bummer, because it looked like a very elegant pupplet... Anyways, going through the test has enlarged my gnu-linux knowledge, so thank you.