Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 19 Sep 2017, 08:02
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Desktop
Unscrambling xfce's mismanagement of Puppy Categories
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
mikeslr

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jul 2017, 20:14    Post subject:  Unscrambling xfce's mismanagement of Puppy Categories  

Hi All,

While trying to get Whisker-menu under xfce4-panel to play nice with Puppies, I kept finding that applications built for Puppy rarely showed up in categories where I'd expect them. Many were assigned to "Other". When I set out to construct xfce4-panel to work with LxPup64 I notice applications appeared in a "proper" Category. So I examined what peebee did and copied his technique. Essentially, that involved writing a file named xfce-applications.menu in which all the various subcategories used in creating applications for Puppy are assigned to their parent categories. You'll find it here: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ddv1v7a96n43i/xfce-panel.

Download it and copy it into either /etc/xdg/menus and/or /root/.config/menus after changing the name of any existing xfce-applications.menu to old- xfce-applications.menu [just in case you have to revert].You may have to create the /root/.config/menus folder. A restart is necessary. The files in .config are supposed to take precedence over those in /etc. But, you never know. [The many arguments following Include in each Category specification may be ‘overkill’. Written –cut & paste from pre-existing files-- while TV was running in the background. I hadn’t analyzed why all existed for LxPup. Figured better safe than sorry. As this is a text file and does what I want, I don’t feel compelled to experiment. You can if you want.]

mikesLr
battleshooter

PostPosted: Mon 28 Aug 2017, 22:26    Post subject:  

Nice Mike, I just discovered this myself last week trying to work out why the categories weren't playing nice. Wish I saw this earlier, but thanks for posting, hopefully will help someone else trying to follow the XFCE in Puppy debugging bunny trail
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Desktop
Jump to: