Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Jan 2020, 23:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
TrinityDog - Jessie & Stretch
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 6 of 10 [145 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
jss83

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jul 2017, 23:58    Post subject:    

Hi fred,

It worked, installed frisbee and the firmware and placed the firmware squashfs in the live folder as well, rebooted and frisbee showed the interface listed and it took it a little time to reconfigure but I am connected now.

Thanks a ton!!

Now I'll report back on the VLC. Very Happy

One more thing, what's this desktop pager thing, I must have clicked on it yesterday whilst searching for the screenshot utility and now it shows up first thing after desktop loads up and it's so annoying.

Okay never mind the desktop pager thingy, it went away after reboot, loving my network now, it connects even before the desktop is fully loaded and it gives a notification in the upper right with your avatar like image in it Fred. Smile

I got VLC, I just downloaded the squashfs and right clicked on it and activate module (safe mode) and it showed in multimedia menu Very Happy and the apt-get update completed without any errors as well.

Update:
Ran into another problem with VLC :-
Code:
Codec not supported:VLC could not decode the format "h264" (H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10))

But then I deactivated the module vlc which I downloaded because I googled the error and it said something about wrong version number or missing codecs. So I made another squashfs as instructed by Backi and this it worked, it made a smaller squashfs and it works and plays the videos now. Though, it wouldn't work from Multimedia>Menu until I entered the code Backi provided into terminal. Will see if it works after the reboot from Menu without re-entering the code or not.

Update2:
And it does works from the menu. Everything working fine now, when booting all things shows green except one, "loading cpufreq kernel module failed", but I guess that's not important right?
2017-07-23-094806_1024x768_scrot.png
 Description   
 Filesize   228.72 KB
 Viewed   681 Time(s)

2017-07-23-094806_1024x768_scrot.png

backi

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul 2017, 02:46    Post subject:  

Hi
Quote:
"loading cpufreq kernel module failed"

No problem .
fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul 2017, 03:42    Post subject:  

Hi jss83

Congratulations!! Nice that you got things working now.
Question out of curiosity: what's the reason you replaced ceni with frisbee?
Ceni didn't work well or...

Fred
jss83

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul 2017, 03:48    Post subject:  

No, ceni was working well until yesterday when wlan stopped showing because of the firmware issue I think, so I just installed the deb you provided with the firmware and rebooted and everything's working fine from then, thanks to you Smile . Should I replace it back? I don't know how.. Confused

I'll forget about the cpufreq thing then, thanks Backi. Smile
fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul 2017, 03:58    Post subject:  

jss83 wrote:
No, ceni was working well until yesterday when wlan stopped showing because of the firmware issue I think, so I just installed the deb you provided with the firmware and rebooted and everything's working fine from then, thanks to you Smile . Should I replace it back? I don't know how.. Confused

Yes, it could well be because of the firmware was missing, but now you got wireless working, better keep it how it is now (frisbee), I am just curious about how well Ceni works for others (ceni is new included, before I always included frisbee in the 'dogs' I made)

EDIT: @backi, can you report if Ceni works well for you to get a wireless connection?
Any reason that you'd prefer frisbee or WICD, is it the different GUI interface or... ?

Fred
backi

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul 2017, 07:05    Post subject:  

Hi Fred !
Quote:
EDIT: @backi, can you report if Ceni works well for you to get a wireless connection?
Any reason that you'd prefer frisbee or WICD, is it the different GUI interface or... ?

Ceni works well for me .
Once after starting a new session (Testing) switching to user puppy and back to user root .....i THOUGHT i did lost internet connection and could not reconnect again ....just a moment ago ...i tested this again but encountered no problem.So maybe a perception Problem.

Another case where Ceni did not automatically connect to wlan was ,when i booted my notebook and did forget to turn on my Wlan-Rooter......turning it on after booting did not let me (automatically and manually) reconnect again . ( maybe to dumb )had to restart again. So i thought about installing Frisbee again .Frisbee does look better and is easier to configure for me ( cause i am accustomed to it). Yes it is the different GUI interface .
But so far have no problems with Ceni .

Regards !
belham2

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul 2017, 07:14    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:

Maybe you like to share (later) a "TrinityDog-Extreme" (or whatever name Smile ISO ? with all your creativity and extra misc. puppy stuff inside, not kidding.., serious, then I'll add info and link in first post, what do you think?

Fred

Hi Fred,

Ok, I'll stop posting about my experiments. Probably a very wise thing, as it would make people think there are no worries when grafting transplants into & onto the TrinityDogs. Just makes a headache for them if it doesn't work and they don't understand why, and even worse, they could come on here constantly asking & b!tching about it -------which is not a good use of your time & such, and definitely was never intended by you. People should "mod" Trinity at their own risk.

Besides, as I had said previously, you put together the DDogs so well that things I do would just be creating problems----like the ones I am currently getting in my grafting of some of Radky's & Mochi's latest creations into Trinity-Jessie this morning just to see what would happen. Twisted Evil

P.S. Also wanted to say, like backi, ceni worked on my netbook no problems....finding the wireless---and this is that netbook-laptop that stumps 70-80% of pups & other creations (including my own) when it comes to finding it's wireless. So, I'd leave ceni in and as is, and not even think about frisbee.
belham2

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul 2017, 15:31    Post subject:  

Hi Fred, Backi & all,

I installed, via Synaptic, "Roxterm" terminal so as to have a 2nd terminal to the Trinity-included Konsole. But after installation of Roxterm, I am constantly getting this opening size of the Roxterm window---no matter what I set the roxterm-configuration default & profile to.

It's almost like Trinity gets the height and width mixed up when rendering/opening Roxterm. Here's what I am getting (below is a pic). Can anybody else check this? Wondering if this is a 'baked' in problem with Trinity and/or Roxterm, and thus unfixable, or if it is my old computer systems and/or bad OS installs on both my Jessie & Stretch Trinities.

Thanks.
synaptic-installed-roxterm-weird-sizing-is-locked-in.png
 Description   
 Filesize   221.9 KB
 Viewed   486 Time(s)

synaptic-installed-roxterm-weird-sizing-is-locked-in.png

fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul 2017, 18:17    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:
I installed, via Synaptic, "Roxterm" terminal so as to have a 2nd terminal to the Trinity-included Konsole. But after installation of Roxterm, I am constantly getting this opening size of the Roxterm window---no matter what I set the roxterm-configuration default & profile to.

Yes, same for me, very weird, at start of roxterm it resizes from the bigger lenght (I configured in the settings) to the same small size displayed on your screenshot.
I have this problem only with roxterm-gtk3, roxterm-gtk2 works OK for me.
Code:
apt-get install roxterm-gtk2

Btw, roxterm doesn't exist in the repository for Stretch, maybe because of this Question

EDIT:
Thanks backi and belham for testing Ceni, btw.

Fred

Last edited by fredx181 on Mon 24 Jul 2017, 05:44; edited 1 time in total
backi

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul 2017, 03:32    Post subject:  

Hi everybody !
Don`t know if it really matters :
https://www.debian.org/News/2017/20170722
fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul 2017, 05:34    Post subject:  

Hi Belham, backi,

belham2 wrote:
Ok, I'll stop posting about my experiments. Probably a very wise thing, as it would make people think there are no worries when grafting transplants into & onto the TrinityDogs. Just makes a headache for them if it doesn't work and they don't understand why, and even worse, they could come on here constantly asking & b!tching about it -------which is not a good use of your time & such, and definitely was never intended by you. People should "mod" Trinity at their own risk.

It may look like it's not, but I do like more "puppy influence" in the Dogs, e.g. what we did for peasyfirewall monitor in the Xenialdog thread, I think it's nice to have more "must have" Puppy programs.
For example I did experiment earlier with pupsysinfo (as you also recently did) to adapt it but gave up early because half of it didn't work (a whole lot of work to adapt properly).
However I do prefer "substance" in the form of deb packages (so it's easy to install/uninstall), I think it's OK if you post about your experiments and, as I said before, most of your posts are useful and fun to read Smile.

@backi
Quote:
Hi everybody !
Don`t know if it really matters :
https://www.debian.org/News/2017/20170722

That just means that there are more than a few upgrades available .
Quote:
Please note that the point release does not constitute a new version of Debian 9 but only updates some of the packages included. There is no need to throw away old "stretch" media. After installation, packages can be upgraded to the current versions using an up-to-date Debian mirror.

Fred

Last edited by fredx181 on Mon 24 Jul 2017, 11:18; edited 1 time in total
mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul 2017, 09:54    Post subject:  

Hi belham2,

Agree with fred. Your post are useful and fun.

mikesLr
r3muxd

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul 2017, 11:38    Post subject: Is there a 64-bit version of TrinityDog?
Subject description: So I can install Chrome.

I like TrinityDog, but can there please be a 64-bit version? (So I can install Chrome and stuff). I would just install Trinity on debiandog 64-bit, but that's no longer maintained.
backi

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jul 2017, 05:03    Post subject:  

Hi !
Fred wrote :
Quote:
It may look like it's not, but I do like more "puppy influence" in the Dogs, e.g. what we did for peasyfirewall monitor in the Xenialdog thread, I think it's nice to have more "must have" Puppy programs.

Why not ?....if it works
This is a good idea IMHO . It could maybe even alleviate the worries of Puppy Linux purists and soothe their claims about the " Dogs " are not "real" Puppies enough .
I also do miss some apps/tools from Puppy Linux.Some i have in my "Dogs " .... can`t miss them ..

Give you some examples :
Uextract-extract - "extract almost everything (Does work in Dogs)

easypackage-(EasyPackage is a cli tool for combining PETs into a PET or SFS (does not work in Dogs.)

edit sfs -gui to edit sfs files (works in Dogs)

PETS2SFSGUI-This is a tool to combine/convert several pets into one sfs file, which you can use with any puppy in your system without installing again your favorite pets one by one for each puppy. (works in Dogs )

CombineSfs (Combine-Sfs does not work in Dogs ) very sorry Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Extract-folder-of-debs (works in Dogs),

LazY-FBI,( the (F)antastic (B)atch-Mode Pet-(I)nstaller makes you able to install all files from a directory into your puppy.All you have to do, is: do a right-click on a directory containing .pet, .deb, .tar.gz, .tgz, .txz and tar.bz2 files.)Does work in Dogs ...installed in my-roxapps .

PaDs (PaDS 1.0.4 ---> convert and merge (P)ET (a)nd (D)EB into a single (S)FS
works in Dogs .

Links:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87864
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80850
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81511
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65400
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64215
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64215
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26097
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47469
fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jul 2017, 12:50    Post subject:  

@r3muxd

Quote:
I like TrinityDog, but can there please be a 64-bit version? (So I can install Chrome and stuff). I would just install Trinity on debiandog 64-bit, but that's no longer maintained.

Sorry, no plans for a 64-bit version in the near future.

@backi

backi wrote:
Fred wrote :
Quote:

Why not ?....if it works
This is a good idea IMHO

Thanks backi!! that looks like a useful list.
These days I'm busy with other (real life) things, but I will get back about it more in detail later this week, for sure.

Fred

Page 6 of 10 [145 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: