TrinityDog - Jessie & Stretch

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
belham2

#31 Post by belham2 »

libgl1-mesa-dri followup:

Holy cra!p...... I typed "libgl1-mesa-dri" into Synaptic, Synaptic quickly brought it back, and then I chose "Mark for Installation", and Synaptic then said that additional things need to be installed (libdrm-amdgpu1, libedit2 and libllvm3.9) and the final MB sum would be:

175MB install!! :shock:

I mean, for heaven's sake, how can additional 175MB be needed just for a "Dreamchess" program to run, a program that is only 8-9MB in size? Doggone it Debian developers (not you, Fred, talking about the actual Debian developers of Debian overall)! All pups run dreamchess without this extra bloat, and besides, "libgl1-mesa-glx" is already installed in Debian so why is the "......-mesa-dri" module also needed??? Argh.....175MB is half the size of the Trinity ISO :evil:

fredx181

#32 Post by fredx181 »

Re: libgl1-mesa-dri followup:

Hi belham, quick reply for now, will reply later today on your other message.

Well, that's the consequence of such a tiny system, that big libraries are not included, e.g. Debian Live ISO (xfce=1.8 GB) probably has it included, libllvm3.9 dependency is big also.
But once installed libgl1-mesa-dri, the size of dependencies for other 3D programs such as games or e.g. blender, google-earth etc.. will be much less then.

P.S. curious how this is done in Puppy, BTW, e.g. self-compiled, different dependencies, or.. ?

Fred

backi

#33 Post by backi »

Cheers fred !
Perhaps you don't have enough space left in /mnt/sda7 ?
For me apt2sfs works OK.
That`s right .Me stupid :roll: :roll: :roll:

Regarding Trinity Desktop .........:
The more i use it ......the more i like it :D

Regards !

belham2

#34 Post by belham2 »

followup on
belham2 wrote:
6) Ok, much thanks for installing/testing dreamchess. Can I ask a question, Fred, something that always stumps me? How did you know about the "libgl1-mesa-dri"?? I mean, what I did installing Dreamchess was watch Synaptic install it, and then I assume all the dependencies Synaptic installed too (see below pic). It is a bad or wrong assumption for a user to believe that Synaptic will install dependencies when it installs the program you choose??? I always thought Synaptic took care of those problems, but I may have been under an illusion all this time :( And if Synaptic does fail about dependencies, is there some sort of script program (like in the pups) that allows you to click on an "installed program" and it will check all of the dependencies that that "installed-program" relies upon?? Is this already included in the DebianDogs and I just haven't known it??

Hi again Fred,

Another brain fart again today :cry: I forgot we can use a terminal and ldd command when looking at dependencies. But the even bigger lapse was me forgetting that there is something even better: radky's excellent GUI front-end for this, called ListDD-2.0 (he just updated it a few days ago).:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=95935

Radky's 'ListDD-2.0' is a GUI for terminal 'ldd command' and it will list all dynamic dependencies of binary executables and library files. For example, I threw 'dreamchess' (from /usr/games/) into ListDD, and it presented back this (the pic below). Best thing is Radky's GUI lets you quickly click and then look at what's "complete", "unused", and "missing" via the buttons set up for each of those. I've used it in pups before, but when come to the DDogs, I always forget what I second-nature do in the pups.

Maybe ListDD ought to be included in all future versions of any type of DDog?? :) Just a thought (and if there is already a script/program of something similar that you've got inside the Trinity's and other DDogs, then plz excuse my stupidity as I'm really struggling these last 24 hours with functioning brain matter, lol).
Attachments
radkys-ListDD-2.0-excellent-ldd-command-GUI-.png
(236.2 KiB) Downloaded 721 times

dancytron

#35 Post by dancytron »

fredx181 wrote:
dancytron wrote:Only thing I've noticed so far is that it didn't configure my internet automatically. I have pretty standard intel wired ethernet. I had to go to the network configuration and change from allow hotplug to auto. Then it worked.
You did that in /etc/network/interfaces ? and what/how you changed exactly?

Fred
Sorry, should have been clearer.

I just right clicked on the network icon in the task bar, chose "setup", hit return to choose my ethernet, and then just changed it on the next page and chose accept.

belham2

Htop vs Glances

#36 Post by belham2 »

Hi all,

For those of you interested in this sort of thing, with the DDogs, you have something available to you that is a little more useful, imho, than htop. It's called "Glances":
Attachments
There-is-Htop.png
(243.77 KiB) Downloaded 666 times
and-then-there-is-Glances.png
(241.8 KiB) Downloaded 676 times

belham2

#37 Post by belham2 »

Also, I know this is heresy to many in the pup-world, but I installed radky's latest PupSysInfo-2.7 in both Trinity DDogs. Don't ask why, lol. Anyhow, your mileage may vary greatly on what you get to work. I got some of it functions to work in Trinity DDogs, even though it's designed for specifically for pups. Frankenstein lives! :wink:
Attachments
radkys-latest-PupSysInfo-2.7-in-trinity.png
(240.44 KiB) Downloaded 667 times

backi

#38 Post by backi »

Hi (doc) belham !
It looks you`re quite a bit hyperactive today !
Looking for entertainment ?
Forgot your Ritalin ? :lol:

fredx181

#39 Post by fredx181 »

belham wrote:Ok, much thanks for installing/testing dreamchess. Can I ask a question, Fred, something that always stumps me? How did you know about the "libgl1-mesa-dri"?? I mean, what I did installing Dreamchess was watch Synaptic install it, and then I assume all the dependencies Synaptic installed too (see below pic). It is a bad or wrong assumption for a user to believe that Synaptic will install dependencies when it installs the program you choose??? I always thought Synaptic took care of those problems, but I may have been under an illusion all this time Sad And if Synaptic does fail about dependencies, is there some sort of script program (like in the pups) that allows you to click on an "installed program" and it will check all of the dependencies that that "installed-program" relies upon??
After only installing dreamchess and running in terminal, I get this:

Code: Select all

root@stretch:~# dreamchess
DreamChess v0.2.1-RC2 (0203100)
ui_sdlgl.c:430: error: failed to set video mode: 640x480; 32 bpp; fullscreen off; 0x multisampling: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
I guess the developers didn't make package "libgl1-mesa-dri" a 'hard' dependency since there are more ways to setup GLX (I know very little about but I guess it depends on the graphics card, e.g. for NVIDIA it might be different, I have onboard Intel card and libgl1-mesa-dri works for me).

So... see this as one of the very few exceptions that apt-get or synaptic doesn't install all required.
4) Dock Application Bar----can't figure out why TDE develops wouldn't let us move this around? Strange Confused Oh well, I will try that link's suggestion (thanks), and if that doesn't work I will go the "wbar" route as it's available in Synaptic
Why use wbar if you can just add a extra "normal" panel and configure it exactly as you like ?
P.S. So I setup Trinity Jessie late last night----guess what, absolutely no dual monitor problems, TDE let me make all sorts of changes, and it made them & both monitors remained clear as the sky. Also, no matter what I did, even messing with and changing Conky's settings, Conky stayed fully transparent. Lol, go figure. I think it might have more than a little to do with my systems love the battle-tested 3.16-series kernels (and even up to 4.4-series kernels), but they b!tch up a storm once I hit the 4.9-series & above kernels. Guess my old hardware is getting old just like me
OK, NICE!!
My guess is that it doesn't have to do with newer or older kernel.
Maybe the TDE package repository used in TrinityDog-Stretch (Preliminary Stable Builds) is not stable enough:
From TDE website https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/DebianI ... ian_9.x.29:
For Stretch (Debian 9.x), although it is already released, currently there is no official version of TDE available, although TDE runs smoothly in Stretch. If you are interested in installing TDE in a Stretch environment, you can use the preliminary packages for the next R14.0.5 release.
Please refer to the Preliminary Stable Builds page for further instructions.
Fred

fredx181

#40 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Belham, All,

As I said earlier that Conky transparancy is a bit problematic in Trinity.
My workaround is the script "setbackdrop" in ~/Startup which checks for changed wallpaper, but it's not ideal because it doesn't work with all wallpaper formats provided in the backgrounds list from "Configure Desktop"
Also it's a little slow with refreshing the conky transparancy.
So here's another way, but it requires compositing enabled (which uses just a little more RAM)

Here are the steps:
First move "setbackdrop" away from Startup folder

mv ~/Startup/setbackdrop ~/
Logout and back in (now the conky display is black for sure)
From Menu, go to Trinity Control Center > Desktop > Window Behavior and click the tab "Translucency"
Tick the checkbox "Enable the Trinity window composition manager"
Click 'Apply' at the bottom and close the window.
Conky window is still black, so we need to edit now the conky config:
Open ~/.conkyrc-port (if using porteus-boot) or ~/.conkyrc-live (if using live-boot) with leafpad.
Add these lines somewhere before the "TEXT" block:

own_window_argb_visual
own_window_argb_value 0
For Stretch version, find this line: "own_window_colour brown" and comment it out.
So should look like this:

# own_window_colour brown
Save ~/.conkyrc-port (or ~/.conkyrc-live)

And conky should have transparent view with any wallpaper now :)
EDIT: Colors are a bit different though (specially the 'bars')
EDIT2: Just found that setting "own_window_argb_value" to 255 will display the normal colors:

own_window_argb_value 255
Fred

belham2

#41 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:Hi Belham, All,

As I said earlier that Conky transparancy is a bit problematic in Trinity.
My workaround is the script "setbackdrop" in ~/Startup which checks for changed wallpaper, but it's not ideal because it doesn't work with all wallpaper formats provided in the backgrounds list from "Configure Desktop"
Also it's a little slow with refreshing the conky transparancy.
So here's another way, but it requires compositing enabled (which uses just a little more RAM)

Here are the steps:
First move "setbackdrop" away from Startup folder

mv ~/Startup/setbackdrop ~/
Logout and back in (now the conky display is black for sure)
From Menu, go to Trinity Control Center > Desktop > Window Behavior and click the tab "Translucency"
Tick the checkbox "Enable the Trinity window composition manager"
Click 'Apply' at the bottom and close the window.
Conky window is still black, so we need to edit now the conky config:
Open ~/.conkyrc-port (if using porteus-boot) or ~/.conkyrc-live (if using live-boot) with leafpad.
Add these lines somewhere before the "TEXT" block:

own_window_argb_visual
own_window_argb_value 0
For Stretch version, find this line: "own_window_colour brown" and comment it out.
So should look like this:

# own_window_colour brown
Save ~/.conkyrc-port (or ~/.conkyrc-live)

And conky should have transparent view with any wallpaper now :)
EDIT: Colors are a bit different though (specially the 'bars')
EDIT2: Just found that setting "own_window_argb_value" to 255 will display the normal colors:

own_window_argb_value 255
Fred

Hmmm, tried and applied the above changes in Stretch, and me conky's background is still as black as midnight oil. Maybe it is because of the background (as you mention) I've chose and still stick with. Problem is, I sort of really like the gears (mechanical) choice, and am reluctant to change it since it's the thing I'll always see. With Trinity-Jessie, no matter what I throw at it, conky (and the overall monitors) acts like nothing is wrong and just keeps on displaying things crystal clear.

On another note, I've been playing with the gifondesktop---fun stuff. I like the running pack of dogs one. Too bad we couldn't incorporate this script into some system early-warning system GTKDialog (whatever YAD) for when I've done something in (or installed) a program that begins freezing up the overall system. Before things completely freeze, the script would automatically run and I would see a pack of dogs running across my screen AND then I'd know I'd better start running with them as I've surely screwed something up again :lol:

fredx181

#42 Post by fredx181 »

belham wrote:Hmmm, tried and applied the above changes in Stretch, and me conky's background is still as black as midnight oil. Maybe it is because of the background (as you mention) I've chose and still stick with
The triple gears (I think you use) is one of the backgrounds (has jpg extension) that does work for conky transparent with the 'workaround' script setbackdrop in ~/Startup.
The mini-howto with compositing enabled is to make transparency also work with (some) backgrounds that have the .svgz extension. (e.g. Celtic is one of them).
Strange the setting with compositing and conkyrc edit doesn't work for you, thinking I forgot something to mention, but.. no.
On another note, I've been playing with the gifondesktop---fun stuff. I like the running pack of dogs one. Too bad we couldn't incorporate this script into some system early-warning system GTKDialog (whatever YAD) for when I've done something in (or installed) a program that begins freezing up the overall system. Before things completely freeze, the script would automatically run and I would see a pack of dogs running across my screen AND then I'd know I'd better start running with them as I've surely screwed something up again

:lol: :lol:

Fred

jss83

#43 Post by jss83 »

Hi fredx181,

In my current search for a puppy that comes with the Ralink MT7601 Driver I am trying a lot of puppys, I downloaded the stretch version and amazingly it found my wlan device right ootb :D , which is great. And overall the desktop with this trinity environment and kde theme looks amazing plus the sounds :wink: , I am quite liking it.

How does one install VLC and Palemoon in this, as I am more familiar to use those. And how to install the .pet files?

Edit: Also, it seems I don't have root access to other drives I plugged in as I can't download stuff to them directly, how to gain access to usb drives with root privileges?

Thank you

backi

#44 Post by backi »

Hi for Palemoon download either installer or bzipped tarball :
http://linux.palemoon.org/download/installer/
http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/

For vlc :
downloading it from synaptic and installingcould lead to problems cause it does not start when logged in as root.
There is a solution for this .
After installing (or better download it as a squashfile with AptToSfs ,in case you know how to do ), make a small script with geany or leafpad :

#!/bin/sh
sed -i 's/geteuid/getppid/' /usr/bin/vlc
vlc

make it executable and run it after vlc install.....so you can run vlc as root .
Also, it seems I don't have root access to other drives I plugged in as I can't download stuff to them directly, how to gain access to usb drives with root privileges?
I think open your drives with Thunar would help .

belham2

#45 Post by belham2 »

jss83 wrote:. And how to install the .pet files?

Hi jss81,

Following backi's advice is good. There's also another method that doesn't involve any conversion when dealing with .pets.

1) Just download the .pet into the DDog.

2) Use Uextract or Xarchiver to extract it there to its directory

3) open it up, and open yourself another filemanager window, and

4) manually place things from the .pet into the respective folders in your own filemanager

Voila', you're done. This works for about 99% of every .pet, though you will come across a few where you have to place certain things (like games, or libs, or certain bins) into their correct but different place in a DDog. Doing this all manually will teach you how DDog's structure is different from the Puppy's, and you will learn (with a little trial & error) where to place everything properly :wink:

Good luck!

jss83

#46 Post by jss83 »

Hi Backi, Belham,

Thanks for trying to help, I am kind of in a different problem, the wlan is no longer getting recognized, while it is booting it shows some errors(although, the device is working fine in other puppy) so I don't know what to do but when I log on, in the network it only shows eth0 and not wlan. :cry:

Edit: Okay, it's back again, I think when I boot into debiandog (The 3rd option during boot) ram persistent version, its drivers gets loaded or something but how I do I make the save file from here? and make sure it loads the same one as default? :?

EDIT2: Okay I reformatted the disk and installed Stretch again and this time I booted with default option and it got the driver loaded and it auto saved the changes upon reboot, so maybe it was disc error which was causing the driver not getting loaded issue. :) I will now try to install palemoon and vlc as advised earlier and report back. I am using QTWeb now, it is quite fast I must say.

One more thing, can I just remove the icons in the desktop or is there way to use a minimal desk icon set the other way like in tahrpup?

EDIT3
Got Palemoon :D with the installer, had to run it in the terminal with sh but vlc apttosfs sounds tricky, I don't know how to do that. Also, how can I stop the taskbar window minimize/restore animations?

backi

#47 Post by backi »

One more thing, can I just remove the icons in the desktop or is there way to use a minimal desk icon set the other way like in tahrpup?
Why not just delete them (right-click on icon "Move to Trash" ).
or look in /root/Desktop folder .
Symlinking applications from usr/share/applications to Desktop (or root/Desktop folder )
but vlc apttosfs sounds tricky, I don't know how to do that
Just go to >Menu>D-Dog>AptToSfs >>>>choose a (mounted) Partition (with enough free space ) >>>>>type in vlc >>>>>enter >>>wait >choose>compression rate>wait>If you be asked for remove or not >you can remove.......
Resulting vlc.sqashfs can now be activated in Thunar by right click the squash file >menu>activate .....when activated look in Menu>Multimedia >Media Player (vlc media player ).

But you can also install vlc with Synaptic Packetmanager as full install.
When clicking the menu item (vlc ) it will not start .....because it cannot be run as root.
This is why you have to execute (in Rox-Filer ) the small script i gave you above .

#!/bin/sh
vlc
(don`t forget to make it executable)

Or in Terminal :
vlc

Regards !

jss83

#48 Post by jss83 »

I deleted the icons and changed the desktop wallpaper and everything is working as it should for now. I am really liking trinitydog :D and amazingly the brightness in mpv and gnome player is good.

Hm. I'll see if I can get myself to do the apttosfs thing, sorry I am not so advanced or smart :oops: but if not I'll do the full install and make the script and use an icon and redirect it to it. I think I can do that. I am currently running apt-get update because I think it's needed to get the vlc, right?

Thank you so much for your and Belham's help. :)

PS: I'd still require more help (I am sure) so keep checking this thread every now and then. :P

Also, this is what the apt-get update showed, this is okay, right?

Fetched 13.4 MB in 2min 18s (97.1 kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done
W: Failed to fetch https://fredx181.github.io/StretchDog/i386/Packages/./InRelease  Could not resolve host: fredx181.github.io
W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
root@stretch:~#  

backi

#49 Post by backi »

For using AptoSfs no need to apt-get update .
I am currently running apt-get update because I think it's needed to get the vlc, right?
For installing full ...you have to .

jss83

#50 Post by jss83 »

I see, will update with apttosfs, the full version takes 188 mb space, so not doing that.

Update: the apt2sfs didn't work, I did as told, it updated and started downloading the files then it gave some error (couldn't look at it, was too fast) and then it removed the folder from the partition where I suppose it was downloading the files. :?

I guess I'd have to do the full install.