TrinityDog - Jessie & Stretch

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rcrsn51

#121 Post by rcrsn51 »

belham2 wrote: Rcrsn51, in that other thread, made it sound like it was no big deal to get an "sfs" in TD-Stretch that is loadable on-demand for compiling on demand.
I just downloaded the devx that Fred linked to above and ran the sfs-load tool from the menus.

It's the same procedure as in Puppy.

der-schutzhund

#122 Post by der-schutzhund »

Hi mikeslr,

tanks for this usefull infos!

My PhyTechT (Puppy) i have made on a tahr6.0.2
It seems as if xenialdog is the best base for my new Phytechpuppy.
It is based on ubuntu as tahr 6.0.2, has openbox, there is a 64bit version for it.
That the adjustment for my new phytechpuppy does not go without much work is clear to me! For my last, I have developed some modules myself, such as the Variomenu or an automatic maintenance module or a configuration menu for a memory file.
Some things I can do myself, but at certain points I need information so I can go on. The problem is also that I now two years nothing more with Linux has programmed. Must therefore only come back into the topic.
Can xenialdog be booted under UEFI?
Tahr6.0.2 can not do that!
My SFS I can of course rebuild, that is no problem.

By the way my automatic maintenance system looks for newer files when shutdown on a central PC. If newer files are found, they are automatically copied to the student PC. This works quite well.

Furthermore, each of my student PCs has its own identifier, which I can copy (collect) files from a directory on a central PC. This is also a self-development.

Wolfgang
mikeslr wrote:@ der-schutzhund,

- Possibility to customize using a start script at booting:
Not sure it would provide everything you want, but all "DebianDogs" and "XenialDogs" use boot arguments, and which boot arguments are a choice you make.
- Updating via a shutdown-script when shutting down. At shut-down you have the option to Save changes or not. You can also Save change while the system is running. If an icon to do so isn't on the desktop, open a terminal and type, code: save2flash.

"- dynamic integration of SFS...
I would like to start each program via its own script. This script checks if a dependent module is already loaded and if it is not loaded automatically. Of course I define the dependent modules before. This is exactly how it works in my current system.

As mentioned, Apt2sfs will include necessary dependencies for any SFS you create. The ones you create yourself will have an ending of "squashfs" rather than SFS. But see below.

There are several ways to use SFSes. I'm not sure any can be loaded automatically at bootup. One way creates a script file adjacent to the SFS. To load the application, you click the script. It may be possible to create symlinks to these script in a folder in /root so you don't have to open to /mnt/home and scan thru all files looking for the script you want. I don't know to what extent these scripts can be modified.

- my current SFS should run (possibly after an adjustment)! All SFSes created for Puppies can be loaded. But only some may run and even those may require 'adjustments'.

I'm not sure which version of LazyPuppy you are using. There's one based on Lupu, one based on Precise, and if my memory isn't playing tricks, the latest one is based on Tahr. All, however, are base on Ubuntu binaries. TrinityDog is based on debian. Much in common with Ubuntu, but not identical. SFSes built for 'Ubuntu' Puppies may not include all dependencies as some of the dependencies may be provided by/included in the Puppy itself. A debiandog may lack them entirely.

MintPup (LST), http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 430#858430 or XenialDog, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 548#901548 being closer to your LazyPuppy, in their foundations may require less 'adjustments'. To find out if a required library is missing, browse to the binary/executable's folder, open a terminal and type, code: ldd EXACT-NAME-OF-BINARY. You'll receive a report of both the libraries it found and those 'NOT FOUND'. Those 'not found' may be available via synaptic or apt-get. If they are not, rather than to download them via a web-browser and install them --which may break your system-- it would be preferable if you downloaded them and rebuild the SFS to include them.

But I suggest you do the following. Keep your present system. Install TrinityDog, or XenialDog --if your computer will run 64-bit OSes, DebianDog64 or XenialDog64-- and experiment with their SFS capabilities. It took RSH (AKA LazyPuppy) hundreds of hours to create his unique operating system. Don't expect any 'Dog' to duplicate that without a lot of work. As both LazyPuppy and 'Dogs' only need their own folders, you may find your best solution is to have both, booting into whichever best fills your then current needs.

mikesLr

zagreb999

xenialdog-uefi-tar-gz

#123 Post by zagreb999 »

regards
uefi boot on 64bit windows computers -secure boot disabled

porteus boot always fresh

put in folder where is casper

https://ulozto.net/!7aQ1IWjVyDWr/xenialdog-uefi-tar-gz

fredx181

#124 Post by fredx181 »

@all
New version of peasywifi added to Stretch and Jessie repository, install with synaptic or from terminal:

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get install peasywifi
Changes in v4.3-1 in peasywifi GUI script made by rcrsn51:
- added option (Ethernet tab) to bring the interface down
- added Names button (to select (unconventional) interface name)
and I added new initscript 'rc.network-start' that calls /etc/rc.d/rc.network in the background
https://fredx181.github.io/StretchDog/i ... 1_i386.deb
Update: new version 4.4-0 with some more changes by rcrsn51, see:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 447#962447
Install as described above, or install this deb package.
https://fredx181.github.io/StretchDog/i ... 0_i386.deb

@zagreb999
It is nice that you share your uefi boot setup for xenialdog, but I really think you should give much more detailed information how to make it work, otherwise it makes no sense, in my opinion.
(I cannot test uefi boot and don't know anything about it, btw)

@belham2
However you can use this DEVX:
https://github.com/DebianDog/trinitydog ... 8.squashfs
I think it's good to make your own DEVX (with apt2sfs):
- Then you have the (newest) upgraded packages included
- You can choose yourself what to include, this list might be incomplete for your needs:

build-essential automake autoconf libtool pkg-config libcurl4-openssl-dev intltool libxml2-dev libgtk2.0-dev libnotify-dev libglib2.0-dev libevent-dev checkinstall upx-ucl cmake linux-headers-4.9.0-3-686-pae python2.7 python3 libc6-dev yasm libgtk2.0-dev bacon
It depends a lot on what you want to compile.
EDIT: Loading the DEVX isn't perfect way to compile complicated program, for example: I once compiled mpv and needed a lot more than the DEVX included, e.g. libasound2-dev.
Ok, I installed libasound2-dev with Synaptic, but Synaptic (or apt) doesn't know about what's "installed" by loading the DEVX, so had to install lots of packages (build dependencies) again.

Btw, I tested just now on Trinitydog Stretch creating DEVX with apt2sfs (using above package list) and did right-click > Activate module and works well for me, so I have no idea why you're facing the problems that you described.

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Sun 30 Jul 2017, 10:35, edited 2 times in total.

zagreb999

#125 Post by zagreb999 »

"@zagreb999
It is nice that you share your uefi boot setup for xenialdog, but I really think you should give much more detailed information how to make it work, otherwise it makes no sense, in my opinion.
(I cannot test uefi boot and don't know anything about it, btw)"

REGARDS, FRED

UEFI WORKS AS IN MX LINUX.
JUST, TO PUT IN THE SAME FOLDER WHERE IS CASPER
FOR XENIALDOG.
FOR FAT 32 FORMATED USB IN WINDOWS COMPUTERS 64 BIT
NO NEED ANY INSTALLATION. TO EXTRACT ISO AND PUT
ON USB, AND REBOOT. SECURE BOOT DISABLED.

IF YOU WISH , YOU CAN OPEN THE CONTENT AND SEE WHAT IS
INSIDE.

fredx181

#126 Post by fredx181 »

zagreb999 wrote:"@zagreb999
(I cannot test uefi boot and don't know anything about it, btw)"

REGARDS, FRED

UEFI WORKS AS IN MX LINUX.
JUST, TO PUT IN THE SAME FOLDER WHERE IS CASPER
FOR XENIALDOG.
FOR FAT 32 FORMATED USB IN WINDOWS COMPUTERS 64 BIT
NO NEED ANY INSTALLATION. TO EXTRACT ISO AND PUT
ON USB, AND REBOOT. SECURE BOOT DISABLED.

IF YOU WISH , YOU CAN OPEN THE CONTENT AND SEE WHAT IS
INSIDE.
Not for me (as I said, I cannot test uefi) but for a newcomer.
Hope your info is clear for anyone who likes to test, but I doubt it.
When I extract your xenialdog.uefi.tar.gz, I get folder 'Documents' (inside lots of stuff, e.g.grub and more), I'm a newcomer, help!! what to do?
Use grub4dos bootloader or...? what kernel boot command line in menu.lst? and so on...

Hopefully anyone can test, make uefi work and write (mini) howto so we can present it as a real thing that works.

Fred

rcrsn51

#127 Post by rcrsn51 »

@Fred: Here is a modification to Names. It resets the Ethernet profiles in /etc/pwf/ethernet.

I have also updated the Help screen.

This version is numbered PWF v4.4.

Bill
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 31 Jul 2017, 00:33, edited 1 time in total.

zagreb999

uefi boot for debiandog and xenial dog

#128 Post by zagreb999 »

fred,
in Documents there are
"boot" and "efi"

1. copy these files on usb-fat32
2.extract xenialdog iso, and put
on usb
3. "boot" and "efi" put in the same
folder where is casper

on cumputers 64 bit windows, secure boot disabled,
no need any installations.
on all my computers works perfectly-very fast.

there is uefi debiandog-xfce-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=109300

fredx181

#129 Post by fredx181 »

rcrsn51 wrote:@Fred: Here is a modification to Names. It resets the Ethernet profiles in /etc/pwf/ethernet.

I have also updated the Help screen.
Thanks again, updated my post here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 441#962441
zagreb999 wrote:in Documents there are
"boot" and "efi"
Thanks zagreb!
Someone with uefi-boot cabable computer can test this setup from zagreb maybe?

Fred

rcrsn51

#130 Post by rcrsn51 »

@Fred: Excellent.

I thought about setting up a "first-run" mechanism that would pop up the Names dialog screen. That would be a quick way to enable cryptic names and make a network connection. Something like:

if [ -f /etc/pwf/firstrun.flg ]; then
 SETDEVICENAMES
 RECONNECT
 rm /etc/pwf/firstrun.flg
fi
Probably insert it at line 727.

But if the OS is going to switch back to conventional names on the next run, it would be self-defeating.

But if your system is 100% cryptic, this would be useful.

[Edit] I may add this to the Puppy version anyway. In Puppy, a reconnect is always needed to switch from dhcpcd to udhcpc.

fredx181

#131 Post by fredx181 »

rcrsn51 wrote:@Fred: Excellent.

I thought about setting up a "first-run" mechanism that would pop up the Names dialog screen. That would be a quick way to enable cryptic names and make a network connection. Something like:

if [ -f /etc/pwf/firstrun.flg ]; then
 SETDEVICENAMES
 RECONNECT
 rm /etc/pwf/firstrun.flg
fi
Probably insert it at line 727.

But if the OS is going to switch back to conventional names on the next run, it would be self-defeating.

But if your system is 100% cryptic, this would be useful.

[Edit] I may add this to the Puppy version anyway. In Puppy, a reconnect is always needed to switch from dhcpcd to udhcpc.
If only the wired interface would be recognized at boot (if, as you call, crypted) it would be nice already, so that it auto-connects anyway (just my wish, don't know if possible without negative side-effects).

Fred

rcrsn51

#132 Post by rcrsn51 »

rcrsn51 wrote:[Edit] I may add this to the Puppy version anyway.
I have scrapped that idea. The new Names mechanism (once you know it's there) makes it easy to assign the cryptic names and do a reconnect.

So you can get online on the first run.

labbe5

Debian with LXLE Added Features

#133 Post by labbe5 »

http://linuxblog.darkduck.com/2013/09/d ... tures.html

Hi fredx,

A Linux enthusiast has a website with a few apps that can be added to Jessie :
Fehlstart, a lightweight key-based app launcher, is proved to work with Mintpup, and most probably other Dog-based OS (see Utility entry).

Other apps, such as Compton...a low resource compositor, Random wallpaper... for automatically changing wallpaper at login, Lxweather, Fast Forecast... a local forecast retriever, all of them might come in handy in a Dog-based OS.

Out of curiosity, i tried to install Deepin package manager (on a fresh install). On Mintpup, it does not work, but it is based on Ubuntu. On a Jessie-based OS, if it can be installed, it would add a polished touch.

Pelo

Debian Dog installed easily with isobooter .

#134 Post by Pelo »

Debian Dog installed easily with isobooter ( 5 minutes)
Iso are three : Puppy stretch, dog stretch, and MintPup
Some problems with Mintpup, to solve later with help desk. repaired

timeout 10
default 0

title MintPup-jwm-icewm-hybrid-26.07.2015
partnew (hd0,3) 0x00 (hd0,0)/MintPup-jwm-icewm-hybrid-26.07.2015.iso
map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 (hd0,0)/MintPup-jwm-icewm-hybrid-26.07.2015.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
chainloader (0xff)

title stretch-7.0.0a1
partnew (hd0,3) 0x00 (hd0,0)/stretch-7.0.0a1.iso
map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 (hd0,0)/stretch-7.0.0a1.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
chainloader (0xff)

title StretchDog32-2017-07-04
partnew (hd0,3) 0x00 (hd0,0)/StretchDog32-2017-07-04.iso
map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 (hd0,0)/StretchDog32-2017-07-04.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
chainloader (0xff)

title More ISOs (see the instructions)
configfile (hd0,x)/menu.lst
commandline
Attachments
indoor.jpg
To move with my laptop, indoor, no trouble. Nice.
(80.67 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 06 Aug 2017, 16:21, edited 2 times in total.

Pelo

Save : usb cannot be used because format is not Linux ext.

#135 Post by Pelo »

Save : usb cannot be used because format is not Linux ext. Ok, save on my HDD partition Linux beside Xenialdog saves
Nice to have so many apps and a browser, a real browser (firefox) in les MBs than our Puppies..
Weakness was about wireless whan you go outdoor, because passengers are not always in the aircraft. I check with this version and feedback. Crew told you 'do it yourself', what is not so kind as with 'Puppy Linux Airlines)

"This way of saving changes is equivalent of "pupmode=13" in puppy , saving changes only at shutdown:

Code:
title MintPup porteus-boot save on EXIT in /casper/changes.dat file (sda1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz noauto from=/ changes=EXIT:/casper/changes.dat
initrd /casper/initrd1.xz
"
Hum , my saves are on sda3..
Attachments
passenger.jpg
Unable to Help crew, sorry, only to be tested for unscheduled attitude
(47.14 KiB) Downloaded 279 times

fredx181

#136 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Pelo,

Not sure if this is what you need (when you talked about wireless antenna's etc..)
Anyway, rcrsn51 made package for Stretch 4.9.0 kernel including:
8192cu.ko, 8192du.ko, 8192eu.ko, 8812au.ko
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 102#963102
For Stretchdog32 and Trinitydog32, install with Synaptic "realtek-wifi-drivers-k4.9.0-i386" or from terminal:

apt-get update
apt-get install realtek-wifi-drivers-k4.9.0-i386
Also added to Stretch32 repository:
wifi-firmware-stretchdog32, also from rcrsn51
(rt2800usb, mt7601u, r8712u, 8188eu, etc)

About save to USB:
A save file can be used on a FAT32 filesytem e.g. changes.dat, save folder can only work on a linux filesystem e.g. ext2 ext4

Fred

Pelo

Where to add changes =/mnt/sda3/stretch.dat

#137 Post by Pelo »

i was successful for save with XenialDog. I will reproduce what i did.. But isoobooter script is not at all the same . Where to add changes =/mnt/sda3/stretch.dat
Save file will work on fat 32 ? :) i try it (monday)

If XenialDog brings me some nice apps, it seems that stretch has no plus-value.. XenialDog will remain my choice, quite sure.

About wireless, so many puppies can run with my antenna, outdoor is not a real problem for me
I do it on purpose to underline what makes happy a dev playing linux at home will not satisfy people having hobbies different from programing OS.

Most people have smartphones or tablets that they keep with them, at school, traveling, or shopping.. A laptop has a keyboard, and can still compete. But give it a chance. Puppy Linux does it.

I just recived a brand new battery for my Medion 64 bits. Of course i want to bring my computer in my car. Hotspots are many because we are in a holiday countryside. Devs could understand what we need. :!:

Pelo

But if i cannot save sessions, that will borry me fast..

#138 Post by Pelo »

save created. The problem is that i cannot change Booting script as i used Isobooter menu.lst.
Unless an expert details how to change Isobooter menu.lst. I am lost, i admit.
I run XenialDog right now, installed in a brand new and nice 8gb pendrive, one os. I would like to share these 8GB with other OS.. Isobooter looked as a nice solution. But if i cannot save sessions, that will borry me fast..
What i accept for XenialDog, elected as prefered Xenial OS, i wont do the same for OS just on test, as Stretch ones, unless they prove they bring something useful.
how-to save XenialDog
Attachments
usb-stick-8gb-emtec-2-0-sw103-sw-happy-days-1045067703_ML.jpg
Happy XenialDog, alone on a nice (pink) new pendrive
(8.26 KiB) Downloaded 952 times
Last edited by Pelo on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 06:10, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

topic isobooter on study

#139 Post by Pelo »

studying topic isobooter here
Help asked to rcrsn51, our Puppy Linux expert for isobooter (and compiler of wireless drivers)
Attachments
Stretched Dog.jpg
Isobooter better thqn virtuql ;qchines /
(62.57 KiB) Downloaded 926 times

rockedge

#140 Post by rockedge »

The install of TrinityDog I made really simple. I formated the USB stick to ext4 set the boot flag. I opened the ISO and copied the contents to the usb drive. Ran Grub4Dos which does not see Trinity but I went ahead and let it finish and install the mbr.
I manually edited the menu.lst and added the boot code for a save folder boot.
All worked great. Then I made the usb have a sub directory and copied the Trinity ISO contents into the directory and did the same with Grub4Dos and I manually added the Porteus boot code. That worked very well as well. I now have on a 16 gig usb stick both XenialDog and TrinityDog both boot and run from a menu list. Even added a swap file for both.

I am about to post a recommendation on the ZoneMinder forum for running a CCTV system using either one of these OS's as an alternative to some of the other "big people" Linux OS's. So far I have had great success using Puppy Linux tahr 6+ and variations and can see these 2 will be similar in success. Plus one can install ZM basically via a one click script using XenialDog.