Freetype fonts in Tahrpup64 6.0.6

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
autumnleaves

Freetype fonts in Tahrpup64 6.0.6

#1 Post by autumnleaves »

Wine will not run on the above installation due to a problem with Truetype fonts. I believe that the Freetype engine is already installed, but winecfg returns the following error message.
Wine cannot find the FreeType font library. To enable Wine to
use TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater than
or equal to 2.0.5.
http://www.freetype.org
Thank you for any suggestions.

mikeslr

#2 Post by mikeslr »

Hi autumnleaves,

Two quick questions before we try to solve the problem.

First, which Wine pet or SFS are you using?

Second, are you certain that some TTF font libraries are already present? Double-check. Unless you're using Wine-portable (which is what I do so the following is from memory) font files for wine may be located in /usr/wine/fonts. But your version of Wine may differ.

Unlike Windows, in Puppy you can unpack any package of fonts and just copy or drop them into where ever Wine expects to find them. And, of course, once you have wine functioning, if you've also have Winetricks, you can use it to obtain "corefonts" and others.

Edit: It just occurred to me that maybe WineHq has dealt with the problem before. It has. See, https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27915. Try opening Puppy Package Manager and typing "libfreetype6" in the search box. Regardless of whether or not that search reveals it's already present, allow PPM to install it. Save and Reboot.

mikesLr

P.S. You didn't by any chance install Wine via Quickpet or Puppy Package Manager? Unfortunately, doing so will install a package designed to function under Ubuntu, not Puppy. Causes no end of problems. Best uninstalled and replaced by any one of Version2013's pets or Wine-portable, both found on this SubForum.

autumnleaves

#3 Post by autumnleaves »

Thanks for the suggestions Mike. I have just uninstalled Wine so I could start with a clean slate. The version installed was 2.11v3.1, as I was instructed to do in the initial thread on the subject.
Libfreetype6_2.5.2 is indeed present.
I have reinstalled Wine from the pet (not PPM) and can now locate the fonts in user/share/wine/fonts.
Now winecfg produces the Wine configuration window, as well as an error message.
root# winecfg
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winemp3.acm": libmpg123.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
So it is partly working.

Note that when I installed 32-bit with SFS on the fly or just by clicking the SFS many files are skipped. See attached list.

autumnleaves

#4 Post by autumnleaves »

The list could not be attached.

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, autumnleaves.

Ooh, boy, that's an odd one. I'm in Xenialpup at the mo; just had a look in /usr/share/wine/fonts.....and they are totally different to the ones I've got installed in /root/.wine/drive_c/Windows/Fonts.

Those were installed by choosing the 'corefonts' package via WINE-Tricks. I often skip downloading those when I'm setting up WINE in a new Pup; I just copy 'em over from one of my others.

These ones in /usr/share/wine/fonts mostly appear to have the .fon suffix. New one on me! I've got the odd .TTF file there, but I don't recognise most of them.

So; where have they come from? Are they part of the WINE package as supplied by version2013? And, more to the point, why don't they show up when I'm selecting fonts in WINE apps?

Any ideas, Mike? Can you enlighten us?

The other Mike. :wink:

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

My first guess is the Wine development team is constantly working on and changing how Wine works.
Only they really know why Wine is this way, now or why anything in Wine changes.

If it runs a Windows program and that program works. I do not get to hung up over why it works and why Wine is now setup the way it is.

I have seen that error you get when Wine Config is run from terminal.

The point is, is it stopping Wine from working and running a Windows program?
With Puppy setup the way it is, with only what is really needed to run stuff.
That error of missing something may not matter.

In Wine Config, setup of the drives is very important to Wine being able to find everything.
Last edited by bigpup on Wed 19 Jul 2017, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

Here is a solution to the error:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=79549
Wine now uses external 'libmpg123' for mp3 decoding. (patent issues)

http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t … =libmpg123

regarding the fonts, try;

Installing 'ttf-ms-fonts' and 'ttf-tahoma'

link the installed Truetype fonts to wine;

# ln -s /usr/share/fonts/TTF /usr/share/wine/fonts

btw Wine is starting to use alot of external native nix packages now, which is a good thing. (i.e. ms fonts, decoders ect..)
In Puppy Package Manager(PPM)
Should be able to do a search for libmpg123.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

#8 Post by mikeslr »

Hi autumnleaves,

My approach is somewhat heretical.

Short version: Unless your objective is to run 64-bit Windows programs, uninstall your current Wine and install either Version2013’ wine-1.8.2-i486_v2.1.pet*, which you can get here, http://lilfile.com/Kb4ys0 or “use
Last edited by mikeslr on Wed 19 Jul 2017, 18:50, edited 4 times in total.

musher0

#9 Post by musher0 »

Hello all.

AFAIK, TTF fonts remain the same regardless of the OS. TTF is an
independent standard respected by computer font "foundries", such
as the ones listed here

Perhaps you'll find this article interesting.

You should be able to symlink the fonts in your Puppy from
/usr/share/fonts/default/TTF to wherever the Wine fonts directory is and
vice versa, and use any font without a glitch whether you are running
an app through Wine or in Puppy proper.

IHTH.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

version2013

#10 Post by version2013 »

autumnleaves wrote: Now winecfg produces the Wine configuration window, as well as an error message.
root# winecfg
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winemp3.acm": libmpg123.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
So it is partly working.
(reference post)

In this post, a bit further down is displayed more info. for tahrpup 6.0.5 PAE.

I list other packages I installed (dependencies) before compiling.
One such package is 'mpg123-1.12.4.pet'
Installing that will eliminate the error you are getting.

If the windows application you are using does not require the functionality that package provides, then you do not need to install it.

autumnleaves

#11 Post by autumnleaves »

I do appreciate everyone's input and suggestions, and will try to work with the ideas you have provided to come up with a solution. Given that the behaviour of most things Puppy is rarely in line with expectation, and it is unlikely I shall need 64 bit apps, I shall give serious consideration to reverting to an earlier portable version of Wine too.

For the moment, here are a few immediate observations:
1. Installing either mpg123-1.12.4.pet or libmpg123 does not resolve the error message.
2. winecfg does run, however, and I am able to install a simple Windows application.
3. I was able to install and mscore font but this might be a set of fonts for musescore (if it is not MS core fonts). In any case, the command ln -s /usr/share/fonts/TTF /usr/share/wine/fonts produces an error "ln: failed to create symbolic link ‘usr/share/wine/fonts’: No such file or directory". Nevertheless, the directory usr/share/wine/fonts does exist and it contains tahoma.ttf, among other fonts.

Much obliged again for your assistance.