Comodo AV for Linux

Antivirus, forensics, intrusion detection, cryptography, etc.
bigphil

#91 Post by bigphil »

Hi Mike,

thanks for replying to my post.

Would you recommend a 'lightweight' Pup that I can install that will run the updater, at least using this approach I will have an on demand virus checker.

I have two Pups currently installed, Tahrpup and Precise 5.7.1. both frugal installs, both exhibit the same problem with the updater.

My system is somewhat like yours in as much as I keep a lot of applications etc. in one location and use symbolic links in both Pups to access them. Never have figured out the difference between relative and absolute links.

Still trying to get my head around libpam you mentioned in your post, however their is many instances of it in the PPM, all from the Ubuntu repositories.

Once again thanks for your help.

Phil

Mike Walsh

#92 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi again, Phil.
bigphil wrote:Would you recommend a 'lightweight' Pup that I can install that will run the updater, at least using this approach I will have an on demand virus checker?
Well, now...

I'm starting to think summat's happened with CAV itself. Either that, or Comodo have made changes at their end.

Prior to today, I had the updater working in at least four other Pups. Today, it refuses to co-operate in any of them...

Not one. So; until I investigate a wee bit further, I don't quite know what to suggest, mate. All I can say is, leave it with me. This could of course be my 'common' install playing up, but I won't know until I make the time to take a closer look at it.

May be a couple of days before I have something more concrete to report.....

Mike. :wink:

bigphil

#93 Post by bigphil »

Sorry to hear you are having problems Mike, I'll watch this space.

Regards
Phil

bigphil

#94 Post by bigphil »

I downloaded the 64 bit deb package from the Comodo website and installed it on my 64 bit machine running tahrpup 64. It ran 'out of the box' and the virus database updated OK as stated in previous posts.

I then downloaded the 32 bit deb package and installed it on my 32 bit machine (the one I couldn't get the database to update) with Tahrpup 32 bit version running. Voila - the database updated and it scans OK, still doesn't run cmdagent on initialization though.

Regards

Phil

Mike Walsh

#95 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Phil.

Hm. Well, I'm pleased to hear it's behaving itself at last.

Part of the problem with cmdagent, I believe, is the fact that Comodo have written that package for Debian-based systems, so a good bit of the syntax is different to what Puppy uses. Although many Pups are based around Ubuntu 'binaries', and hence, indirectly, Debian 'binaries', Pup doesn't run in the same way. Indeed, the standard terminal 'vocabulary' is rather abbreviated, since quite a bit of it is to do with the multi-user demands of a conventional distro.

Two ways round it. One, you can write a line for cmdagent itself into the start-up script. Two, you can simply drag cmdagent onto the desktop in a convenient (for you) location, and simply click on it as & when necessary.....which is probably the easiest option, TBH.

At least it's working..... :) That's the main thing.

Mike. :wink:

bigphil

#96 Post by bigphil »

Hi again Mike,

thanks for the info.
Modifying the start-up script is beyond my knowledge so I've put an icon on the desktop to start cmdagent as you suggested.

Regards

Phil.