Problem with Fatdog System Updater? (solved)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
superchook

Problem with Fatdog System Updater? (solved)

#1 Post by superchook »

I thought I would create a new up to date iso image of Fatdog for use on any arbitrary computer meeting the minimum specs.
Running the Fatdog System Updater from the Fatdog64 Control Panel produces a list of 51 packages to be updated. If you select them all then try to reboot after the update is complete the reboot never completes.
I was able to give a Ctrl+Alt+Del and boot into another puppy on the same computer and examine the /aufs/devsave/fatdog64_710frugal/fd64save/var/log/messages file.
This file contained many lines relating to
tty '/dev/tty2': '/sbin/getty 38400 tty2' with another line indicating a failure
(I unfortunately no longer have a copy of this file)
I deleted the fd64save directory and was then able to boot into Fatdog once more. I set the timezone,locale,keyboard layout and installed the LibreOffice icons as described in the release information then rebooted which let me create a new fd64save directory. Since then I have added gtk3 via gslapt and all is working.
I imagine that the problem with the updates relates to one or two of the 51 packages but which ones? If there were fewer of them I would make a couple of save directories and add updates one at a time until I found the culprit but with 51 this seems a lot of work.
Has anyone else had this problem (and solved it)?
Is there a simpler way to hunt for the bug?

Ken
Last edited by superchook on Thu 20 Jul 2017, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.

superchook

#2 Post by superchook »

I spent quite some time trying to find out what had caused the problem. I still do not know for sure. I think that I may have been getting some bad downloads using the system updater.

In the end I re installed from scratch and got the updates via gslapt. everything seems to be working as it should now.