Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 16 Oct 2019, 18:36
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
How to sync files across all your devices with Syncthing...
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [18 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
increa

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jun 2019, 07:16    Post subject:  

reply to 14 jul 17 post..

Mike Walsh,

When you posted on 14 July 2017, it appears maybe you haven't realized, you don't need a Sync folder, per se. You can have many separate and distinct sync folders or "sync pools" as I like to call them (because 2 or 3 or 5 or 50 computers can be in each pool). The only rule is that the folders cannot be embedded in each other. So no need to use symlinks at all.

This works as easily as well on smartphones, so I have a "photo" sync pool. For any picture I take on my smartphone, the pictures automatically show up on several other computers where I do mail or photo editing.

I have also used to it make a "backup aggregator" where one computer is in all the pools, and stores *its* copy of each file onto an encfs virtual directory. Then I have a separate sync pool that connect the actual encfs encrypted files to a friend's computer half way across the nation. It's my own encrypted cloud solution. Linux Format published a 2-part article from me about how to do this last year.

Also, the default web GUI is at 127.0.0.1:8384, but you can move it to the actual IP of your computer and any other port, say 192.168.1.45:45356. With a suitable username/password, this lets you log onto any Syncthing node from any other node on your local network using your browser. Routed through your modem/gateway/router, you can even give Syncthing a public internet facing connection and access the control GUI from across the nation.

The only problem I've seen is when mixing Linux/Mac/Windows computers and then doing an UC/LC name change, say from ProgramData.dat to Programdata.dat. Syncthing can't overcome the disagreement between the OS's if that's the same file or a different file. Linux/Mac say yes. Windows is tricky. It will report the different names accurately, but both point to the same actual file. Sort of (I guess) like two Linux hard links to the same disk file. Anyhow, it hoses Syncthing. One OS sees a change, and the other tries to make a change, but nothing changes, and Syncthing gets confused, issuing a caution error message "data changed but not scanned" or something like that. I get out of this trap by temporarily using a far-off name like Programdata-syncthing-temp.dat, letting that propagate through the system and then renaming it to what I want.

Also, syncthing now offers (summer 2019) send-only and receive-only access to a data share pool. So you can have 4 computers sharing the same data directory, but some can only read from it, some can only write to it and some can do both.
geo_c

PostPosted: Thu 15 Aug 2019, 09:57    Post subject:  

Two questions about sync thing.

I have it running on two machines and it's great!

Question one has to do with save files and device identifiers. I often just copy my pupsave directory from a frugal hard drive install into another separate USB install, so I can take my system in my pocket. If I were to do that with syncthing, would it get confused about which device it's running? Or would it assume it's on the same machine?

Question two, can I copy the files into a sync folder manually, off line, to avoid having to do it over the network, presumably after I accept the share from the first machine? Hoping that I could save time, and have syncthing essentially compare the two directories rather than copy all the files itself.
geo_c

PostPosted: Fri 16 Aug 2019, 12:46    Post subject:  

Here's a trick to get the best of both worlds.

Sync a dropbox directory, in other words a directory within the dropbox directory. As long as the machine with dropbox installed is on the network, dropbox files are uploaded to their server. So you can still have web based access on random computers.

So in other words, when I drop a file in that sync directory on a puppy install with no dropbox, the dropbox machine uploads it. So it's even easier to have a set of "web" files, and personal files all sync'd from the same device.
Page 2 of 2 [18 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: