How do I split 11Gb file, burn to DVDs with only 8Gb HD spac

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
wert

How do I split 11Gb file, burn to DVDs with only 8Gb HD spac

#1 Post by wert »

I have the following method I could use to split it:

Code: Select all

tar cvzf - /mnt/sdcard/Large\ file.bin/ | \
split -b 4294967295 - /mnt/sda1/Large\ file\ piece.tgz
The result of my brainstorming is to tell the above command to pause after /mnt/sda1/Large\ file\ piece.tgza output, burn that to loaded DVD, rm /mnt/sda1/Large\ file\ piece.tgza, continue.

Clues:
I reckon that something like dd has -seek option which can be useful in trying to do pause and resume. I don't know whether dd can be made to split.
Would something like the following give me intact data?:
Run the dd command with the option count=8789062, save the verbose after that completes, burn the outputted file(first part) to a blank DVD, delete the file to make space for the data chunk that follows, re-edit the initial dd command so that skip = N of bytes copied during the first dd process and specify skip_bytes e.g. if verbose was

dd if=/mnt/sdcard/Large\ file.bin of=/mnt/sda1/Large\ file\first\ piece.img bs=512 
20703125+0 records in
20703125+0 records out
10600000000 bytes (11 GB) copied, 3964.01 s, 2.7 MB/s
then re-editted command would look like

dd if=/mnt/sdcard/Large\ file.bin of=/mnt/sda1/Large\ file\first\ piece.img bs=512 skip=10600000000  skip_bytes  count=8789062
In that scenario since the file is 11 GB, i'd repeat the steps again three more times since it's 11/4.4 so I'd need like three blank DVDs.

Please help me out.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

What's the objective here - to archive this 11GB file?

Once your procedure is done, how will you verify it? You would need to read the three chunks off their separate DVDs, glue them back together and compare the result to the original 11GB file. Where would you find the space to do that?

Personally, I would just buy a big flash drive and back up the file in one piece.

musher0

#3 Post by musher0 »

Hi wert.

What is this 11 Gb file to begin with? A partition image ? A long movie, or
perhaps 3-4 movies ?

I agree with rcrsn51 here: capacity to validate your back-up is paramount.
If you don't have the space to do that, tough?!

If it's a partition image, may I suggest that you think your problem with a
reverse tactic ?

Use PBurn instead. With PBurn or similar, you could burn (copy) +/- 4.3
Gb worth of files in that partition -- 3 times --, with validation, rather than
try to split your whole partition file in three parts, without validation.

If it's a movie... well, it was on a DVD to begin with, right ? ;) So just clone
that DVD?

Finally is there a way to extend your HD partition to, say, 25 Gb? (The
size of a single-layer Blue-Ray disk; in ext? or ntfs formats.) Then you'd
have enough "leg room" to do what you want to do.

IHTH.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

LazY Puppy

#4 Post by LazY Puppy »

Some time ago I created Split-Files, when I was in the need to upload huge files to mediafire, that wouldn't fit into max file size restrictions of mediafire.

Split-Files splits huge files into chunks and makes automated rebuild script to rebuild the original file.

Once it was included into don570's right-click tools, though I don't know if it is still in there.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink: