Multisession DVD

Booting, installing, newbie
chris60

Multisession DVD

#1 Post by chris60 »

Hi. New to Puppy Linux.

I'm trying to install and run Puppy Debian Dog from a DVD as described in http://puppylinux.org/main/How%20NOT%20 ... 0Puppy.htm but cannot get it to work.

Is there a simple guide for new users? (I have searched around but haven't found anything appropriate).

Chris.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

It is not that hard.

Basic steps:
1.Download the Puppy iso file.

2. Burn the iso image to the CD or DVD using a CD/DVD writting/burning program.
Just make sure to select "burn iso image" or "burn image" or "write image" option in your burning software and then choose the Puppy iso file.

3. When you boot the computer select the CD/DVD drive as the device to boot from.

A iso file is a file that contains several files bundled into an iso file. It looks like a single file until you burn it as an image.
If you burned it correctly, you will have a bunch of files on the CD/DVD, not just one single file.
If after burning, all you see is the Puppy iso file on the CD/DVD, you did not burn it as an image.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

tallboy

#3 Post by tallboy »

May I ask if you are using Windoze to burn a multisession DVD? If not, the 'Burn iso to cd' program found under Multimedia in most Puppy menus, does a very good job. Have you downloaded the .iso to your HDD? If you have limited space on your HDD, there is a way to burn directly without downloading first, but only with Linux.
I always use live discs. I have old and slow burners myself, but even if they are capable of burning at higher speed, you are insured a good result by limiting the burn speed to maximum 4x. High speeds can make the disc wobble, and cause errors in writing. I saw one guy comment that when he burnt an .iso to a CD - max speed 4x, .iso to a DVD - max speed 1x or 2x! :shock: I have always used 4x for both CD and DVD, and never had any burn-related issues. I just downloaded a 'new' (older) puppy to a multisession CD, and are in the process of remastering it to include some of my well known favorite programs. It's hard to break a habit!

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

To these excellent suggestions I would add that some recent versions of Puppy won't run as multisession. It costs very little to find out if the one you like will. Just burn the iso to a DVD using Burniso2cd in Puppy. Even if it won't run as a multisession DVD, you should still have a Puppy that will boot from a DVD.

One more thing: desktop DVD drives run multisession Puppy just fine but many laptop DVD drives don't seem to do multisession very well.

Burn_IT

#5 Post by Burn_IT »

Also the DVD/CD must not be finalised or closed
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

chris60

#6 Post by chris60 »

Flash wrote:To these excellent suggestions I would add that some recent versions of Puppy won't run as multisession.
Thanks. That seems to be the case for Puppy Debian Dog.