Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 28 Jun 2017, 20:46
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Does someone know where dma_mapping.h files are located?
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]  
PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jun 2017, 12:50    Post subject:  Does someone know where dma_mapping.h files are located?
Subject description: on the ibiblio (as in which package do I need to download and )

decompress to get at them.

I have a nice installation of gcc-full but I did not install any of the additional src stuff - eg. dma_mapping.h, mm.h (those kinds of files).

I will research this and keep unzipping packages - I guess they could eventually go under the /lib/modules/build or lib/modules/kernel - or something along those lines.

I have a prescription for how to build my tape driver - I just can't find the header files. I have the source files and many of the header files - I just don't have the Linux-specific ones, or perhaps I do, but I could not find them with Pfind. I had troubles with my Pfind so I don't want to use it right now.
Thanks.
PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jun 2017, 14:05    Post subject: I found those files
Subject description: They are in usr/src/linux-4.4.35/include/linux

So I am making progress finding the headers! I can simply copy over to my lib/modules from my temporary search directories.

Better - just put them anywhere and make sure gcc can find them.
PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jun 2017, 21:10    Post subject: Little bit of a problem with types.h leaving me with undefin
Subject description: ed types like __u32, etc.. Many of the types.h are empty

II also looked to see if they are in the <asm or <asm-generic but I don't see much there either.

This will take some hunting down.
PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jun 2017, 21:12    Post subject: My project is not very large
Subject description: I decided to skip the makefile approach for a few days

And simply compile with gcc. Some of the problems seem common among the programming world - ie. the empty <uapi/linux/types.h>'s. I don't think it has anything to do with the make but I'm not sure yet. Could it have something to do with KBuild? Is there some flag?
Some of it is in posix_types.h

Last edited by PappyPuppy on Sat 17 Jun 2017, 21:27; edited 1 time in total
Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jun 2017, 21:22    Post subject:  

29 results for dma-mapping.h and 6 for mm.h when I looked in kernel_sources-4.4.72-puduan.sfs ?
PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jun 2017, 21:32    Post subject: I am using 4.4.35 right now for some reason
Subject description: Not sure why

Anyway, I will check the later ones too.

The problem I have is this is the first time I've needed to worry about a compile on Fatdog. Nearly all the others simply worked easily with gcc or I simply used configure, make, install and they worked.

Whatever it is, it will be found out sooner or later. I have been looking with a fine-toothed comb at each include file and there are little problems here and there. They can be ironed out but I hope I can do it in a couple of days either by myself or with help.
PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jun 2017, 21:32    Post subject: I am using 4.4.35 right now for some reason
Subject description: Not sure why

Anyway, I will check the later ones too.

The problem I have is this is the first time I've needed to worry about a compile on Fatdog. Nearly all the others simply worked easily with gcc or I simply used configure, make, install and they worked.

Whatever it is, it will be found out sooner or later. I have been looking with a fine-toothed comb at each include file and there are little problems here and there. They can be ironed out but I hope I can do it in a couple of days either by myself or with help.

For __u32, if I have to, I'll just add my own define as unsigned int or whatever it is.
step

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jun 2017, 02:59    Post subject:  

You might need to load the kernel source SFS that matches your kernel version before compiling. For Fatdog look for kernel-source-... files here http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/sfs/710/.
PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jun 2017, 06:31    Post subject: I might have done that
Subject description: I'll check that out later today

I keep wondering why I chose 4.4.35. Laughing
Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jun 2017, 12:54    Post subject: Re: I might have done that
Subject description: I'll check that out later today

PappyPuppy wrote:
I keep wondering why I chose 4.4.35. Laughing

The 4.4 branch is moving fast. The version number seems to increase +1 around twice a week
PappyPuppy

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun 2017, 06:40    Post subject: I need to take a brief detour and install RedHat
Subject description: I might get things done faster on that

I need to run a device for which RedHat support is given right away. I can port the code over to Fatdog after that. So I will be a week downloading the 4.0GB of RedHat. I could go with the 400MB, but I'm worried that something will be missing. Perhaps I'll start with the 400MB version - it will proably have everything I need. It's hard to download a 4GB file where I am. So it's final - I'll download a small footprint of RedHat. The problem I have is I don't have time to analyze my projects ahead of time. I just have to dive in and get it done.

After I test the device, I'll get back to building for Fatdog.
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: