How to get vlc working in unicorn pup?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
yr1945

How to get vlc working in unicorn pup?

#1 Post by yr1945 »

Can anyone help me get vlc-2.0.0-bill2.pet working in unicornpup? I added 2 missing dependencies (ffmpeg & qt)... but it still doesn't run? Most pets work on my E6400 Dell laptop.Thank you.

csipesz

#2 Post by csipesz »

Vlc 2.0.0??? - it a little bit old... for the acquisition of the vlc not the PPM(Puppy Package Manager) you used it? Has to be newer there... And you obtain all of the dependence to it.

yr1945

#3 Post by yr1945 »

Removed vlc-2.0.0-bill2.pet and installed vlc 2.2.0-tahr from puppy package manager... that one will not work either? Thank you.

csipesz

#4 Post by csipesz »

Vlc 2.2.0 Weatherwax works good for me in unicorn system - i hope for you too.

mikeslr

Outfitting a dead horse

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi yr1945,

Ubuntu creates operating systems intended to be Full installs taking up an entire partition, requiring a minimum of 4Gb and a recommendation of at least 10 Gb of Storage and at least 1 Gb of RAM. It has the financial resources to support the full time employment of professionals to work on system development. Lest it appear to be doing nothing for the long stretches of time between its Long Term (5 year supported) Systems, it publishes "interim" operating systems. Utopic Unicorn was one of them. It was published on October 23, 2014 with an announced End of Life --after which it would receive NO support from Ubuntu-- 9 months later on July 23, 2015. http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2015/07/03/ubu ... y-23-2015/.

666philb did a marvelous job in creating Unicornpup, "woofing" the essential binaries from Utopic Unicorn and stripping out almost everything else to create a "base for remastering" occupying only 135 Mbs of "storage" space, and designed to be run as a Frugal Install using only about 512 Mbs of RAM. 666philb, like all of Puppy Linux's handful of Devs, is a fan/volunteer, motivated by personal interests rather than financial rewards. But overall, the basic design of a Puppy is modular. So while Ubuntu can afford to spend its resources on developing an almost entirely new system as the improvements to the Linux kernel become available --their interim OSes-- Puppy can more efficiently make use of the improvements in kernels by just replacing the old kernels*. And it has developed an almost "newbie-friendly" method for doing that. Kernels newer than that built into UnicornPup are available for Tahrpups, Xenialpups**, and Slackos.

If a light-weight OS is your necessity, you might want to take a look at this thread, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 076#833076 and the comments about gray's X-tahr and Geoffrey's link to X-Slacko Slim.

mikesLr

* Lupu Revitalized, has utilized a different approach toward maintaining the viability of the operating system Ubuntu abandoned 5 years ago: the annual, or more frequent, updating of essential applications.

** Xenial Xerus is the LTS operating system by Ubuntu which succeded Trusty Tahr. Ubuntu will continue to support it until (April?) 2021. Unlike "interim" publications, security patches may be made available for LTS systems even after their EOL.

yr1945

#6 Post by yr1945 »

csipesz, thank you for your feedback. I downloaded other, more recent, VLC pets, as well as a couple of VLC ubuntu deb packages... but none of them would run in unicornpup. I'll keep trying various options. yr1945

yr1945

#7 Post by yr1945 »

mikeslr, I appreciate your informative post. It helps me better understand things. I will try the pups that you suggested. yr 1945

festus

#8 Post by festus »

@ yr1945

This one works for me in many diff pups:
http://www.smokey01.com/OscarTalks/vlc- ... ps-s14.sfs

festus

yr1945

#9 Post by yr1945 »

festus, thank you for the sfs... I tried it numerous times, but I still can't get VLC to run on unicornpup.

However, it works with every other pup that I have tried...

Pelo

vlc-2.1.4 rincewind should work

#10 Post by Pelo »

You like Puppy for entertainment, music, video, photo ? Use Precise version, you will avoid lot of bugs or unserviceable apps, mainly of Mpeg not included in Tahrpup and following versions. Not only one video app in unicorn 6.0. Easy to install ? so why not yet installed... :evil: Because that is of no interest for some puppy Builders. Better use european versions for which local experts finalized with translations and adding missings apps . Legopen is an unicorn version made in Hungaria. Linux expert has included VLC not to disturb people by such a headache to find a working version.
Pfranz Puppy with a browser and a video player Building cars or reparing it is not a hobby for most drivers, it would be more a nightmare. The same for Puppy, our dear Puppy, so speedy and easy to use.

"tahr-6.02 updated to 6.0.5 via quickpet and vlc-2.1.4 rincewind works "
Unicorn 6.0 ( =Unicornpup ?) installed grub4dos just now to check with VLC 2.1.4.
Feed-back coming"VLC in Tahr needs hevc/h.265 codec for playing videos" If Thar then unicorn too.
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 15 Jun 2017, 07:56, edited 13 times in total.

Pelo

miss H264.

#11 Post by Pelo »

Results : wheezy sfs : ok on screen, but first try with one of my videos MPEG > miss H264. no way to resolve, tells me the error message.

PPM Utopic now active :) 2.2.0 provided, well, wait an see.
:) VLC installed.... A battle won, not the war (CDG)

Csipesz says that it works in Hungary.. Personnally i used in the past the Hungarian version of Unicorn ( by pfranz), all bugs were resolved by Skamilinux team.
You can use X-Slim slacko, Mistfire does his best to satisfy passenger's pleasure, in the less MBs as possible. Nice Puppy, as said mikeslr.

:idea: To get PPM Utopic unicorn active, use Augras pet for Raring (joined)
Attachments
raring3.9.9.2-SCSI_repository_update.pet
Merci Augras.. That gets all puppies serviceable From Vivid to Lucid. Small pet, huge effects
(722 Bytes) Downloaded 154 times

Pelo

VLC is able to read MP4

#12 Post by Pelo »

VLC from PPM unicorn works, but cannot read MP4 and MPEG.
Forums (fora) inform that VLC is able to read MP4. Some codecs are missing in Puppy Linux versions, that would be the explanation.
"Je possède le logiciel VLC 2.05.
je peux toujours lire mes films MP4 réalisés il y à 2 ans.
Aujourd'hui, je ne peux plus lire les films toujours en MP4 réalisés avec la mème caméra Sanyo Full HD."
Same user, same VLC 2.05, same camera, old MP4 are read, not newer ones, says the French guy.. Strange..

Pelo

everybody can read Mp4 with his VLC

#13 Post by Pelo »

check with french colleagues, everybody can read Mp4 with his VLC
Excepted... me.

scsijon

#14 Post by scsijon »

And
after installing one of the versions that are suppose to be ok;
you did reboot/restart the x-server so it became integrated;
and, after trying to start the package correctly;
had a look at /tmp/xerrs.log to see what's missing or wrong;
and, installed the missing dependancy;
and, reboot/restart the x-server again;
and, repeated the steps....
it still wouldn't start/run or give an error message?

Well, what about installing src2pet http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 756#946756 and have a go at building it and any missing dependancies yourself?

OH, and which unicornpup are you working with (and a url to the PLDF for it would be nice)?

No, i'm not yelling at you, it's just with being a little bit busy with T290 i'm only able to give limited help at present and vlc is a package i'm interested in getting right for all cases so it doesn't bite me back later since i'm adding it in as a replacement package.

regards

Pelo

unicorn 6.0

#15 Post by Pelo »

my unicorn has VLC 2.2.0 rc 2 weatherwax installed (tahr version).
I will test i everything is working. Feed back to-morrow at the latest.
For forum info, unicorn PPM still available, once updated. But these packages are not specific unicorn. They were transfered to next V,w,x,y Ubuntu 'flavours'
Feedback : mp3 and MPEG nothing.. Some settings to change, i think..

IMPORTANT : i delete all Puppies Tahr, Vivid, Xenial found in my pendrives to return to Precise versions, which give me satisfaction, for my laptop and my hobbies.

yr1945

#16 Post by yr1945 »

Pelo, fyi... I just discovered that you can play .mov and .mp4 files on unicornpup using the mozilla firefox browser. Just open one of the files with the browser... or, by right clicking one of the .mov and .mp4 files and drop the browser app from /usr/ share/ applications into the "set run action" .... then, go back and just click on any of the .mov or mp4 files. yr1945

Pelo

Will be tried as soon as Unicorn on stage again..

#17 Post by Pelo »

Will be tried as soon as Unicorn on stage again..

Pelo

PeasyMp3 plays my songs and VlC does not.

#18 Post by Pelo »

PeasyMp3 plays my songs and VlC does not.
Nevermind, VLC is for Puppies without MPEG, Unicorn 6.0 brings only trouble to people wishing having some music or movies. Will be trashed soon.
:) However Peasy tools save us.
Quolibet does not work..
Attachments
PeasyMp3.jpg
You can use Player included in browser, or download titles (flashplayer off)
(54.69 KiB) Downloaded 173 times