Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

READ-ONLY-MODE: PLEASE DO NOT POST NEW STUFF!
  New Forum: http://forum.puppylinux.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 13 Aug 2020, 22:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Using a webcam in Racy 5.5... (SOLVED)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 2 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
mostly_lurking

PostPosted: Tue 23 May 2017, 18:24    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
I've made a short recording, which plays back in SMPlayer. I've tried the 'Snapshot' feature, too.....but it results in a .ppm (!!) file.

How d'you view this? None of the standard viewers want to know.....or are there options in VideoView for different snapshot outputs?

Could it be this thing? That Wikipedia page has a link to this site with sample files in .ppm format (not sure if they are the same kind as yours, though); I downloaded some and was able to open them with both Viewnior and mtPaint. I can make them open with Viewnior by default by right-clicking one such file in ROX and setting its run action to defaultimageviewer "$@".
watchdog

PostPosted: Tue 23 May 2017, 19:14    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:

I've tried the 'Snapshot' feature, too.....but it results in a .ppm (!!) file. How d'you view this? None of the standard viewers want to know....

I can use in puppy4 Libreoffice Draw. You can use a light portable libreoffice 3.3 in /mnt/home from:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/portable/files/

Quote:
.or are there options in VideoView for different snapshot outputs?

As I can see only .pnm and .ppm images. In zigbert's Stardust 013 puppy 4.31 based I use Libreoffice Draw for both .ppm and .pnm images.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 23 May 2017, 21:24    Post subject:  

Interesting, m_l. Purely as useful info, that link is worth hanging onto.....if for no other reason. Thanks!

@watchdog:- Yes, you're right. Opens in LibreOffice Draw nicely. I would never have thought of that, since I don't believe I've ever used it.... Embarassed Rolling Eyes Smile

The newest version of Libre Office that I've found which will run in Racy is 3.5.3 (and I only found that because vic_mz's L.Office thread has still got links to a handful of older versions.) Any newer than that, I start getting glibc errors. Go figure.

@mostly_lurking:- You're right, too! In X-Slacko (which I'm in at the moment), you have to right-click in Thunar and 'Set as custom command'. Then it'll open in Viewnior. Simply left-clicking on the file produces no result at all...

It's all 'grist for t'mill'..! Cheers, guys.

Mike. Wink

mostly_lurking

PostPosted: Wed 24 May 2017, 09:29    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
The newest version of Libre Office that I've found which will run in Racy is 3.5.3 (and I only found that because vic_mz's L.Office thread has still got links to a handful of older versions.) Any newer than that, I start getting glibc errors. Go figure.

You mean this thread? I have used the PET package of LibreOffice 5.0.6 on Wary before, and just tested the SFS one on Racy in a VM. (The PET didn't install correctly there, probably due to the memory limitations of my virtual machine.) It's a bit sluggish, but seems to be more or less working as it should. The LibreOffice 4 packages from the same thread might work, too.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 24 May 2017, 11:31    Post subject:  

Hi, m_l. Yep, that's the thread.

You say 5.06 works? Admittedly, when I tried L.Office on here to start with, I was using the (then) newest version (5.3.0). Which wouldn't start, for some reason.

I'll give 5.06 a try; that's quite new enough for me. I've still got it installed in two of my Pups; it's a very rare occasion when I have all 10 of them current on everything..... (*sigh*) That'll do!

Thanks for the tip. Cheers.

Mike. Wink

watchdog

PostPosted: Sun 07 Apr 2019, 05:07    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:

VideoView works perfectly. I'm quite surprised..! After accepting the license, and setting things up in the config panel, the 'Preview' comes straight up. Nice one!

I've made a short recording, which plays back in SMPlayer. I've tried the 'Snapshot' feature, too.....but it results in a .ppm (!!) file.

How d'you view this? None of the standard viewers want to know.....or are there options in VideoView for different snapshot outputs?

Just another tip: choose to save in a .pnm image and in console:

Code:
pnmtojpeg pic.pnm > pic.jpeg
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 07 Apr 2019, 06:26    Post subject:  

@ watchdog:-

Thanks for the tip! Smile Works nicely; using ffmpeg, I take it?

Mike. Wink

Page 2 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: