UPupEF-20.04+5 (27-Jun-2020) (UPup Eoan-Focal)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
peebee

UPupEF-20.04+5 (27-Jun-2020) (UPup Eoan-Focal)

#1 Post by peebee »

Attachments
Screenshot.png
(244.23 KiB) Downloaded 2692 times
Last edited by peebee on Sat 27 Jun 2020, 10:28, edited 7 times in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

#2 Post by peebee »

reserved
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

#3 Post by peebee »

reserved

peebee

#4 Post by peebee »

reserved

salvotnt

#5 Post by salvotnt »

hello

test on vmware:

20.04+0 hang on boot, after module loading.

release candidate rc4 work very well.

on intel celeron 4core and integrated graphic hd500

bye

Marv

#6 Post by Marv »

UPupEF-20.04+0 up and running on my i5 based Fujitsu S761s and a core 2 duo based Fujitsu T5010. In all cases it is an update from RC4. Boot is clean, video and sound is good on all, mitigation as expected from a 32b kernel, and with the exception of the core 2 duo (has a pcie memory allocation error present in all recent pups and kernels I've tried) dmesg is pretty clean and unchanged from EE. CPU and mem use at idle is excellent. General usability also is excellent except that as with the RC upupEFs, I continue to have page load failures using SlimJet 26.0.3.0, chrome 80 based, run-as-spot from SFS that I do not have in upupEE or any of the slackware based LxPups. Kernel swaps don't change the behavior at all. I may have a go at the alpha 64b fossil pup and see if they show up there. I have and use a 64b 26.0.3.0 Slimjet SFS I use in LxPupSc64...

Update: Not an apples-to-apples comparison, but I did install and set up fossapup64 9.01 and run my 64b Slimjet 26.0.3.0 run-as-spot from SFS (only had to add in libffi). No page fails there. Runs very well in that environment.

Cheers,
Last edited by Marv on Wed 29 Apr 2020, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

salvotnt

#7 Post by salvotnt »

tested on atom 1core/2treads 1.33ghz, netbook with intel gma500 pulsbo :

It's work very well , ppm slowdown the whole system on repo switch, firefox 69 haven't sound

palemoon 28 pet , work very well

ciao from Italy

peebee

#8 Post by peebee »

30-Apr-2020

+1 update available - both Ubuntu and Woof-CE updates. See post #1

salvotnt

#9 Post by salvotnt »

at PeeBee

ligth browser dependency for play youtube videos, which ones are they?

thanks

peebee

#10 Post by peebee »

salvotnt wrote:at PeeBee
ligth browser dependency for play youtube videos, which ones are they?
thanks
Hi
Light is a light web browser as its name implies..... you should install another heavyweight browser for apps like YouTube - see menu Internet -> Get web browser.

peebee

#11 Post by peebee »

Marv wrote:I continue to have page load failures using SlimJet 26.0.3.0, chrome 80 based, run-as-spot from SFS that I do not have in upupEE or any of the slackware based LxPups.
Hi @Marv

The Aw Snap! problems are apparently due to changes introduced in GLibc-2.31 which the 32-bit Chromium code does not expect and cannot cope with.

https://github.com/OSSystems/meta-browser/issues/357 describes.

A temporary work around until Chromium and its derivatives catch up is to add:
--disable-seccomp-filter-sandbox --test-type
[edited] switch to the command line.

Only UPupEF currently has GLibc-2.31. As other builds update to GLibc-2.31 then the problem will emerge in them as well. I will think about reverting to GLibc-2.30 pro tem but this might introduce other incompatibilities.

Cheers
peebee & thanks 666philb
Last edited by peebee on Fri 01 May 2020, 21:46, edited 2 times in total.

666philb

#12 Post by 666philb »

peebee wrote:
Marv wrote:I continue to have page load failures using SlimJet 26.0.3.0, chrome 80 based, run-as-spot from SFS that I do not have in upupEE or any of the slackware based LxPups.
Hi @Marv

The Aw Snap! problems are apparently due to changes introduced in GLibc-2.31 which the 32-bit Chromium code does not expect and cannot cope with.

https://github.com/OSSystems/meta-browser/issues/357 describes.

A temporary work around until Chromium and its derivatives catch up is to add:
--disable-seccomp-filter-sandbox
switch to the command line, but this causes annoying security warnings to appear but only once on startup of the browser.

Only UPupEF currently has GLibc-2.31. As other builds update to GLibc-2.31 then the problem will emerge in them as well. I will think about reverting to GLibc-2.30 pro tem but this might introduce other incompatibilities.

Cheers
peebee
i got rid of the warning message in chromium with --test-type ie

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/chromium-browser/chrome --no-sandbox --test-type
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Marv

#13 Post by Marv »

So far so good. Running 32b Slimjet 26.0.3.0 in UPupEF-20.04 with the following line in the flashpeak-slimjet launch script

exec -a "$0" /opt/slimjet/slimjet --user-data-dir=/root/spot/.config/slimjet --disable-seccomp-filter-sandbox --test-type "$@"
No page load failures seen as yet. I just looked at a few places where I had them quite quickly before and saw none.

Thanks to peebee and 666philb for the workarounds.

Edit: 20.04 +0 updated to 20.04 +1. All system checks, resource use, and video speeds remain good. Played a bit with windows color themes and clock font. Usability continues to be excellent, no Aw Snaps at all seen using the workaround above.

Cheers,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

peebee

#14 Post by peebee »

24-May-2020

+3 update available - both Ubuntu and Woof-CE updates. See post #1
Last edited by peebee on Sun 24 May 2020, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.

Marv

#15 Post by Marv »

+2 installed on the second gen i5 based Fujitsu S761 laptop. Frugal Grub4Dos installs to SSD, first as a pristine install, then as an update of +1. Both boot cleanly, touchpad (using the synaptics driver in this pup) and keyboard (capslock disabled) set up correctly, glxgears FPS and SSD/memory throughput excellent on both also. SNS connection with the atheros 9k card flawless as usual (now). Sound ok in both - one alsa related message in Dmesg in the pristine I don't think I have seen before. Not present in the update.

[   11.869823] udevd[2908]: controlC0: Process '/usr/sbin/alsactl -E HOME=/run/alsa -E XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/alsa/runtime restore 0' failed with exit code 99.
Mitigation unchanged on this 32b pup and kernel

▶—— CPU ——◀

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz
Socket Designation: Onboard
Manufacturer: Intel(R) Corporation
Voltage: 1.2 V
External Clock: 100 MHz
Min/Max Speed: 800/3200 MHz
Current Speed of Core 0:923 MHz, 1:964 MHz, 2:1564 MHz, 3:1386 MHz
Core Count: 2
Thread Count: 4
64-bit capable: Yes

Frequency governor   : powersave
Freq. scaling driver : intel_pstate

itlb_multihit:KVM: Vulnerable
l1tf:Mitigation: PTE Inversion
mds:Vulnerable: Clear CPU buffers attempted, no microcode; SMT vulnerable
meltdown:Vulnerable
spec_store_bypass:Vulnerable
swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
spectre_v2:Mitigation: Full generic retpoline, STIBP: disabled, RSB filling
tsx_async_abort:Not affected
Running and posting from Slimjet 26.0.3.0, 32b, run-as-spot, loaded from SFS. No page load fails at all since the workaround several posts above was applied.

Cheers,

salvotnt

#16 Post by salvotnt »

+3 installed on old netbook atom with intel gma graphic card.

all work ok , the system is fast , replace winxp at all.

only have a problem with opengl emulation, znes1.51 hang on exiting. any idea for fixing this ?

thanks for this puppie, is great! ciao from Italy.

peebee

#17 Post by peebee »

06-Jun-2020

+4 update available - both Ubuntu and Woof-CE updates. See post #1

sszindian

UpupEF & pWidgets

#18 Post by sszindian »

Sorry to report but installing pWidgets-2.5.8-486 in UpupEF totally "destroys the entire program"... This has happened to this series from way back in CC or DD in its first stages I didn't report it then because I thought it might be something I did or my HP Dual-Core equipment,,, now have a Dell Optiplex 790 and same thing happens..
Tried deleting everything-pwidgets from the main savefolder files to salvage UpupEF (I load from DVD and create savefolder on the HDD) but could't get it to run although everything seems to load OK now after deleting all the visible pWidgets files using another Puppy.

Other than the above, I couldn't find any problems in testing , looks like it could have the makings of another Great LTS Puppy!

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

peebee

Re: UpupEF & pWidgets

#19 Post by peebee »

sszindian wrote: installing pWidgets-2.5.8-486 in UpupEF totally "destroys the entire program"...
Hi ssz. Please explain exactly what happens? What program? What is totally destroyed and how?

Where do you get pWidgets from?

Have you looked inside pWidgest (rh click - pextract) to see what is being loaded and what the pinstall (if any) might be doing??

sszindian

pWidgets

#20 Post by sszindian »

Hi ssz. Please explain exactly what happens? What program? - What is totally destroyed and how? - (After you install the pWidgets .pet 'exact same version installed - and working - in every 32 bit puppy I ever used... many many...', When installed, every function of puppy stops working, everything locks up - I don't know how to further explain 'Totally Destroyed' except the program does not reach a Desktop and is a total lock-up! only function that works is a 'Cold-Hard-Shutdown' at a black-screen.)

Where do you get pWidgets from? - (The Puppy Forum 'Desktop')

Have you looked inside pWidgest (rh click - pextract) to see what is being loaded and what the pinstall (if any) might be doing?? ( these functions along w‎ith mouse and keyboard are not working nor any other program functions after installing pWidgets)

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]