slacko-700 rc3

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
smokey01

Re: slack-700

#286 Post by smokey01 »

rameshiyer wrote:Unable to update When I trying to update from Update Manger - latest from Slackware due to lack of space /temp?. ( Sorry, but there is no enough free space to down load to . Attempted download directory L/tmp. Partition is full. Delete etc.)

My partition is around 25GB. Full Installation of Slack . How to solve it.
It sounds like the savefile is full. Are you sure it's a full installation? If it is how much free space do you have free on the 25GB partition?

mavrothal

Re: slack-700

#287 Post by mavrothal »

rameshiyer wrote:Unable to update When I trying to update from Update Manger - latest from Slackware due to lack of space /temp?. ( Sorry, but there is no enough free space to down load to . Attempted download directory L/tmp. Partition is full. Delete etc.)
Which slacko version are you using?
Slacko-6.9.9.9 (this tread) does NOT have an "update manager" application.
Slacko 6.3.x has.
Do you have 6.3.x, 6.9.x or a "hybrid"?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

rameshiyer

Slack 6.9.9.9

#288 Post by rameshiyer »

I am using Quirky Slack 6.9.9. I have to check the disk space of the partition. It is around 25GB. I feel it is some technical glitch. I cannot check free disk space as I am away from home.

solex

#289 Post by solex »

Just finish installing on a Lenovo X61 also upgraded to a Samsung V-NAND SSD 850 EVO, flashed the BIOS using Middleton upgrade to double the SATA speed from 1.5 GBS to 3.0 GBS

quick before and after

Code: Select all

hdparm -tT /dev/sda
BEFORE
/dev/sda:
Timing buffer-cache reads: 2596 MB in 0.50 seconds = 5229474 kB/s
Timing buffered disk reads: 404 MB in 3.00 seconds = 137878 kB/s
AFTER
/dev/sda:
Timing buffer-cache reads: 2690 MB in 0.50 seconds = 5418959 kB/s
Timing buffered disk reads: 793 MB in 3.00 seconds = 270427 kB/s
No problems so far, nice work and thank you

Question: How do you copy text from urvt to a text editor?
Last edited by solex on Tue 25 Jul 2017, 14:55, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#290 Post by bigpup »

Question: How do you copy text from urvt to a text editor?
In urxvt
Copy --- highlight by using left mouse button hold and swipe.
paste --- middle mouse button click. If no middle button, click both buttons same time.

Also, in some programs, after you copy in urxvt.
The programs paste command will work to paste in that program.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

solex

#291 Post by solex »

Thanks again bigpup

foxpup

testing + xorg 1.19/Optimus

#292 Post by foxpup »

First time I test a slacko. (Well I tried xslacko-slim a while ago.) I use 6.9.9.9 64bit k4.9.
I use it on an almost new lenovo ideapad. Booting from usb, all .sfs and savefile are on the SSD.
Wifi-connect with SNS. np
I like the possibility in Firefox to see just the essential of the webpage; I didn't know it yet, but that is also what I like(d) about Dillo.
I will be playing and testing with slacko for some time now.
It is fast, super fast and easy to use.

Just 1 question: would it be possible to go from xorg 1.18 to 1.19?
New machines have Optimus, for which there is better support in linux, only recently, but it needs xorg 1.19.
Read this:
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2329171
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi ... onization/
It would make slacko more attractive for new machines.

Sailor Enceladus

Re: testing + xorg 1.19/Optimus

#293 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

foxpup wrote:Just 1 question: would it be possible to go from xorg 1.18 to 1.19?
There was a conversation about this earlier here, I tried to do a complete build with slacko-current for fun (but it's 32-bit)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 669#959669

foxpup

Re: testing + xorg 1.19/Optimus

#294 Post by foxpup »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:
foxpup wrote:Just 1 question: would it be possible to go from xorg 1.18 to 1.19?
There was a conversation about this earlier here
This was for another reason?
Sailor Enceladus wrote:I tried to do a complete build with slacko-current for fun (but it's 32-bit)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 669#959669
Wow! I wish I was able to do that.
It could be interesting to try your build. But it also needs kernel 4.5 or later.

I think everything needed is already in the new stable Debian Stretch.

Fwiw, I think this Sunny Jim cracked it for Slackware, though I do not understand the whole thing:http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ?p=5713523

bigpup

#295 Post by bigpup »

Slacko64 6.9.9.9 with Firefox esr built in..

Some info on getting Firefox esr updated.

Run menu->Setup->Update notices
If it lists a new version of Firefox esr.
Run PPM (Puppy Package Manager)
Update PPM data base.
Search in PPM for Firefox esr named in the Update notices.
Download and install.

Firefox esr now updated to that version.

Firefox esr->Help->Check for updates does not work.
YaPI(any iso installer)

norgo

#296 Post by norgo »

Slacko 700 RC3
X-server doesn't start under use of Nvidia and Ati graphics

continuation conversation of this topic

today I tested the slacko 700 RC3 snapschot ( BUILD_FROM_WOOF='testing;bdab886;2017-07-29 17:54:31 +0800' ) on my neighbors computer with Nvidia graphis card because of the reported issue.
Unfortunately X-server did not start there in the same way like in case of @sc0ttman and @Billtoo .
To check my guess that the 20-intel.conf file could be the reason for this, I removed the

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

file of the puppy_slacko_6.9.9.9.sfs and tried a second test with the modified Live-CD.
Now system launched and worked without problems and I'm very sure this is the reason.

We should remove the workaround ( commit 1d091bc ) and offer a separately package instead.

Comment:
It's really sad to see that nobody who is using a computer with nvidia and ati graphics card was willing to do this test :-(

foxpup

fltk packages

#297 Post by foxpup »

I mentionned in some earlier message, I like the small webbrowser Dillo. So I decided to install it.
I used PPM. I updated PPM. But I did have some issues with PPM. For that, see my next message in this post.
Anyway, Dillo needs fltk. PPM offers packages in the slacko repo's: an old set and a newer set 's700'. Both do not work. They lack for example libfltk...
I installed fltk from the Slackware packages. Dillo works fine now :)

sc0ttman

Re: fltk packages

#298 Post by sc0ttman »

foxpup wrote:I mentionned in some earlier message, I like the small webbrowser Dillo. So I decided to install it.
I used PPM. I updated PPM. But I did have some issues with PPM. For that, see my next message in this post.
Anyway, Dillo needs fltk. PPM offers packages in the slacko repo's: an old set and a newer set 's700'. Both do not work. They lack for example libfltk...
I installed fltk from the Slackware packages. Dillo works fine now :)
confirmed, the fltk packages in the puppy-slackware repos (both 700 and 600) do not work ... they only contains the DEV files..

i compiled it and ended up with the same thing...

So then I needed to grab a .deb/.txz package manually from the web to get /usr/lib/libfltk.so.**...

Not sure if fltk and libfltk would be separate packages, but either way Slacko users have to find working Fltk libs for themselves atm...

Also, still on the 32-bit version, I noticed that in order to properly get rid of the (wbar style) taskbar/icon menu at the top, you must first set it to 'Always Visible', before you choose 'Delete Tray' ... Otherwise you get leftovers... took me a while to figure this out..

Also, when compiling stuff (usually old stuff) I frequently get a an error about a file called gtk-config is missing?

Code: Select all

*** The gtk-config script installed by GTK could not be found
*** If GTK was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the GTK_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to gtk-config.
configure: error: Cannot find GTKL Is gtk-config in your path?
.. not sure what to do about it.. everything online just says "fix your PATH" ..

... Though more generally everything works lovely :)
Last edited by sc0ttman on Tue 08 Aug 2017, 13:00, edited 3 times in total.
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

foxpup

Puppy package manager

#299 Post by foxpup »

When I installed Dillo with PPM, the PPM did not offer dependencies. Still, Dillo needs fltk. Checking the deps with 'check dependencies' does confirm that it needs fltk and that fltk is not there.
But looking for fltk with PPM, it says that fltk has already been installed. That is not so.
Fltk from slacko repo's is faulty (previous message), but DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS also states all is in devx:
yes|fltk||exe>dev,dev,doc>dev,nls. That is difficult to guess for a regular/noob puppy-user.

When I installed Dillo with PPM, Dillo was offered from slackware64-14.2-extra. This is not the "extra" packages from Slackware, but from Salix!
It would be a good thing to offer the extra packages from Slackware as well. NB: I got fltk from extra at Slackware.

foxpup

Re: fltk packages

#300 Post by foxpup »

sc0ttman wrote:Also, I noticed that in order to properly get rid of the taskbar/icon menu at the top, you must first set it to 'Always Visible', before you choose 'Delete Tray' ... Otherwise you get leftovers... took me a while to figure this out..

... Though more generally everything works lovely :)
Hi scOttman

I just read your message. I got rid of all bars, top and leftside, except for the "places" in the rightupper corner. And I have icons arranged on my desktop as in Tahr. But I don't know how I did it, it was not deliberate, I was just changing icon themes; must have clicked on something I don't understand ;-)

You're right about Slacko 14.2 generally: it works very fast and it is smooth and beautiful. At the moment I like it even better then Tahr (or Xenial)! It should be the next puppy release.
There are already some very nice followup/derivative builds also: xslacko-slim and LxPupSc.
Slacko does very well now!!

Billtoo

slacko-700 rc3

#301 Post by Billtoo »

I did a new build using an older woof-CE, I don't think the latest
testing or rationalise have been corrected yet.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Wed 9 Aug 2017 on Slacko Puppy 6.9.9.9 Linux 4.4.80-pae i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.18.3
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (707x392 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 430/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.59

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Core 0: @1600 1: @1600 2: @1600 3: @1600 MHz

Updated to latest kernel with the kernel kit, I think the method used
was correct, works good anyway.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(96.86 KiB) Downloaded 1454 times

bigpup

#302 Post by bigpup »

I did a new build using an older woof-CE, I don't think the latest
testing or rationalise have been corrected yet.

That is a fine thing to accomplish, but how is that helping to discover bugs and issues, with Slacko 6.9.9.9, as it is posted here?

This version of Slacko is just about complete and ready for final release.
Now is the time to give this Puppy a good workout and uncover any issues not yet discovered!!!!
YaPI(any iso installer)

norgo

#303 Post by norgo »

@Billtoo

thank you for testing.
To test an older version ( unknown which exactly with an other kernel version ) is not helpful
or did I understand this wrong ?

The intel uxa workaround became added at 1st July ( commit 1d091bc ) and disabled at 6th August (commit d28d98d ) ( @jlst you are really quick )

So it would be a good idea to test the current testing branch.
Thank you for help
Last edited by norgo on Wed 09 Aug 2017, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

#304 Post by Billtoo »

bigpup wrote: That is a fine thing to accomplish, but how is that helping to discover bugs and issues, with Slacko 6.9.9.9, as it is posted here?

This version of Slacko is just about complete and ready for final release.
Now is the time to give this Puppy a good workout and uncover any issues not yet discovered!!!!
RC3 was posted on ibiblio June 13th,01micko last posted on this thread
Jun 30th.
Seems that RC3 could be the final release.

But I should have posted to the woof-CE thread instead of here I guess,
or not posted at all.

bigpup

#305 Post by bigpup »

I do not think many Puppy developers have much time to work on Puppy.

01micko has a full time job.

Puppy is probably his hobby and works on it, when he can.

He does tend to hold off on a final release, until people have some time to really work with Release candidate versions.
This being RC3 tells me, he is making sure, some fixes he did to RC1 and RC2, got everything needed.

He is a prime developer with Woof-CE.
He could be holding off final release, because of some new improvements, he knows are in the works for Puppy, core files/programs.

Only he can tell us!
YaPI(any iso installer)