Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 21 Jul 2018, 23:25
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
SImple ZoneMinder CCTV Install
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
rockedge

PostPosted: Fri 05 May 2017, 15:13    Post subject:  SImple ZoneMinder CCTV Install
Subject description: zoneminder and webserver in a PET

zoneminder-1.30.4.pet is 263 megs. Download and install. ZM will be started and the web console can be reached with :
Code:
http://localhost/zm

or
Code:
https://localhost/zm

in a terminal:
Code:
#zoneminder status

All passwords are default except where noted.
The webserver root is /root/Web-Server
http://localhost/phpmyadmin :
user = root
password = admin
zoneminder :
user = admin
password = admin
ZoneMinder Home

Documentation on ZoneMinder is Here

zoneminder Wiki

Last edited by rockedge on Mon 20 Nov 2017, 19:20; edited 4 times in total
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Fri 05 May 2017, 16:38    Post subject:  

Jeez, 263 MB. Have you actually installed this and used it?
rockedge

PostPosted: Fri 05 May 2017, 17:16    Post subject:  

works well. I have tested the system with 70 network cameras on a Dell Optiplex 990 4 core 8 Gigs of RAM. Running on Puppy Linux Tahr 6.0.6 and this setup can easily compete in reliability and speed with full blown Ubuntu installs of zoneminder. This PET is for those few who need a home and /or business camera security and have an older desktop or laptop that can run this. Recommended as a dedicated Puppy+ zoneminder system it does push up the memory requirements. But in return one gets a full featured camera security system that can compete with most expensive commercial systems. This is a tool and is designed for a system like Tahr 6.0.6 that is robust, reliable and FAST and can be stored installed and booted from and to many types of storage mediums. So this provides such a system which is hard for even the most experienced IT types to get going, to be installed by anyone running Puppy Linux Tahr with one click. Your Welcome.

P.S. plus the Hiawatha web server will really blaze WordPress or a huge variety of other scripts.
dancytron

PostPosted: Fri 05 May 2017, 17:32    Post subject:  

Although I don't have a use for it now, it would have been most welcome a few years ago when I did.

Thank you for sharing your work.
perdido

PostPosted: Fri 05 May 2017, 18:37    Post subject:  

Question about Zoneminder.

I have a few old android phones. Will Zoneminder allow me to connect these as cameras on a wireless network?

It would be using the network generated by one of the wireless phones connecting all the devices together, no sim cards so not an internet connection, just a closed network.

Or does it only work with an internet connection and have to be connected to the internet?

rockedge

PostPosted: Fri 05 May 2017, 18:56    Post subject:  

yes you can. Use zmNinja for the phone and use http://localhost/zm for the home network when the phone is connected to the home LAN you can use zmNinja to interface zoneminder. zmNinja is in the app store. and is also available for iOS

There also is a zmView app which works great as well and has a free version.

one could use the web console from ZM there is a skin for mobile use but it is bare bones compared to the other 2 apps.

there are also ways of using the old android phones as network cameras...the network can be completely local and never be exposed to the internet...and the phone as camera will work.
perdido

PostPosted: Fri 05 May 2017, 19:17    Post subject:  

Thanks for the info and the ZM pet.

There is an armadillo I have been trying to catch, they are nocturnal middle of the night types and skittish. ZM may be helpful.

I can see a ton of uses for old android cameras.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sat 06 May 2017, 00:50    Post subject:  

You probably already know this Perdido, if the phones have wifi, they can connect to the Internet without a SIM card. My $20 Tracfone will.
perdido

PostPosted: Sat 06 May 2017, 13:51    Post subject:  

Flash wrote:
You probably already know this Perdido, if the phones have wifi, they can connect to the Internet without a SIM card. My $20 Tracfone will.

Yea if I was looking to connect to the internet. I have 3 old android phones that are basically useless,
the frequencies they support are outdated but each will connect to a wireless network or create a wireless network.

So I was considering just using one to create a network, connect the other two as cameras and have
a simple remote camera system not connected to internet, sort of a not-internet of things thing.

The last time I investigated this I could not find a program that used the android phones outside the internet,
they all required a wireless internet connection to function.

rockedge

PostPosted: Sat 06 May 2017, 22:34    Post subject:  

I think with something like IP CAM that will turn the android phone into a webcam. This stream is readable by zoneminder. This all can happen with out having contact to the Internet. It can run totally on a LAN or WLAN. Closed circuit TV as they say in old tech speak.

There are some other methods for turning the old android into a network cam, another is using VLC to stream the camera. ZoneMinder can read these streams as well.
this will work also I think https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vinternete.camerastream and just about any of this type of app should work well with zoneminder.
perdido

PostPosted: Sun 07 May 2017, 13:03    Post subject:  

rockedge wrote:
I think with something like IP CAM that will turn the android phone into a webcam. This stream is readable by zoneminder. This all can happen with out having contact to the Internet. It can run totally on a LAN or WLAN. Closed circuit TV as they say in old tech speak.

There are some other methods for turning the old android into a network cam, another is using VLC to stream the camera. ZoneMinder can read these streams as well.
this will work also I think https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vinternete.camerastream and just about any of this type of app should work well with zoneminder.

The VLC looks most interesting, thanks.
I do not do google play store, no googaccounts, so VLC offering its builds
on site suits me better. If and when I get this sorted I will report back.

dancytron

PostPosted: Sun 14 May 2017, 15:36    Post subject:  

You probably already know this, but there are a number of ways to get apk's (android apps) without using Google.

One example, this site has them for download, then you can install them just by clicking on them in the file manager.

http://www.apkmirror.com/

Also, f-droid is an open source alternative to the google play application.

https://f-droid.org/

It also allows you to download individual apk's without using their app.

https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/

There are also some websites that generate direct download links to download stuff to your computer from the Google Play store. I haven't tried them, but that would be another way to get apps without Google Play.

edit: Just out of curiousity, I tried http://apk-dl.com/ and was able to download the ip camera app from above without Google Play.
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: