Connect LAN wired network no internet between PC and Laptop

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
frenchiveruti

Connect LAN wired network no internet between PC and Laptop

#1 Post by frenchiveruti »

Hello! You might need to share a file or a backup over the LAN network, using an ethernet cable, but without the need to have internet access on any of the PCs.
In my case, I'm using Lubuntu Linux, and TahrPup 6.0.5 and I need to move a big folder (~4GB) from Puppy to Lubuntu, so I needed an ethernet connection to make it fast, reliable and without failures.
So:
  1. Connect LAN cable
  2. On Lubuntu, go to "edit connections"
  3. Edit the wired connection. Go to IPv4 tab.
  4. Here you have to select the option that says something like "only local link" (i've spanish lubuntu so idk in english, "solo enlace local").
  5. mark "require IPv4 adresss for this connection to be complete on the same tab.
  6. Now on puppy linux.
  7. Menu --> Setup --> Internet connection wizard
  8. Select "desktop/tray" tab.
  9. Mark "Dougal's network wizard". OK
  10. On dougals, select eth0, test it. It should be working.
  11. Do autoDHCP, success!
  12. Now go to Menu --> network --> Samba simple Management
  13. Set it up as you want, but make sure it's ON.
  14. Open "network status information" by rightclicking on the network icon on the toolbar of puppylinux, we need the IP of puppy over eth0.
  15. Now back on lubuntu
  16. Open filebrowser, on the adress input, insert " smb://IP.ADRESS.OF.PUPPY.OVER.ETH0 " (really, replace the IP ADRESS with the one found before.
  17. Sucess! Now you can send your files from pup to lubuntu.
I hope it helps!
Feel free to test and also tell me if it worked for you, thanks for your time and suggestions.

april

#2 Post by april »

Lot of work isn't it? Just put it on an 8Gig stick and copy it wherever you want and have a backup copy for free

Burn_IT

#3 Post by Burn_IT »

Or just use a good old fashioned crossover cable.
In fact most network cards don't even need that nowadays as they will switch automatically. Then any folders can be shared.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

greengeek

#4 Post by greengeek »

april wrote: Just put it on an 8Gig stick and copy it wherever you want and have a backup copy for free
Aaahhh, the good old "slippernet". Shuffling around the house carrying your data on a usb stick. No network exposure risks.
:-)

I do like the idea of a home network that has no internet connection though. Quite a good idea in the moden world - specially if you have kids. Keep the internet PC separate from the homework PC.

frenchiveruti

#5 Post by frenchiveruti »

Hi april, when you want to transfer ~8GB of data, I can assure you that a LAN interface that won't be exposed to anyone beyond you and your PC for the time that you use it, it is really really much better to use the eth cable.
But yeah, if you want to transfer a few files sure, use an USB.

jafadmin

#6 Post by jafadmin »

greengeek wrote:
april wrote: Just put it on an 8Gig stick and copy it wherever you want and have a backup copy for free
Aaahhh, the good old "slippernet". Shuffling around the house carrying your data on a usb stick. No network exposure risks.
:-)

I do like the idea of a home network that has no internet connection though. Quite a good idea in the moden world - specially if you have kids. Keep the internet PC separate from the homework PC.
That is what is called an "air gapped" network. They are common in corporate IT.