network_connect_update-20200427, SNS 2.3.2 & NetWiz 2.1.3

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
ozsouth

#41 Post by ozsouth »

@rerwin - sorry, I caused the failure, by manually removing old sns first. This time I just installed sns 2.3.1 over the top and I'm posting from it. :oops:
Will continue to test sns stability over next week.

rerwin

#42 Post by rerwin »

ozsouth,
Whew! Thanks for the update.

Please keep the "set -x" edit for rc.network; the one in sns is probably not needed. If you see the failure to reconnect, grab and post the file:
/tmp/bootsysinit.log

so that I can see why.

B.K. Johnson,
SNS 2.3+ has the version in the window title. So your version is older than that.

If you need to know which older version you have, look in:
/usr/local/simple_network_setup/sns.

I take your point about supporting '--version', which I intend to add.
Richard

nnriyer

wired connection

#43 Post by nnriyer »

Is it possible to include static connection in SNS?

ozsouth

#44 Post by ozsouth »

rerwin, no sns hiccups for a week - success! Thankyou.

rerwin

#45 Post by rerwin »

ozsouth,
Thanks for your positive feedback.

nnriyer,
Well, anything is possible with software. But is it worth the effort? The other two managers support static addresses.

When I get the time, I may investigate how difficult it would be to add it to SNS. That addition would probably make the network_wizard unnecessary.

rerwin

network_connect_update-20200427 uploaded

#46 Post by rerwin »

I discovered that attempting to reconnect with the simple_network_setup network manager, the reconnect would fail because dhcpcd was already running! This was caused by networkdisconnect not stopping SNS correctly.

I saw this with my single-core PC but not with the dual-core PC. But the latter was responding to a false indication that the link was still "up".

The fix adds invocation of the SNS rc.network "stop" option, to ensure that SNS kills the link according to its own logic, instead of the generic logic. Now all of the managers run their own termination code.

A short (0.1 sec.) delay was inserted for the generic code to ensure that a link is down. My assumption is that a second core/thread runs the link-down operation slower than the first core/thread runs before making the check for the link being down.

As usual, the network_connect_update-20200427 download is here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 876#952876

rerwin

Simple Network Setup version 2.32 uploaded

#47 Post by rerwin »

I discovered that the Error window was not displaying when an SNS connection attempt failed. Several years ago the definition of the window became corrupted, apparently during an editing session. In addition, I found that the SNS version was not showing in the main window, as I had intended in version 2.3.

Both issues are corrected in version 2.3.2.

The download is in the usual place:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 876#952876