Facebook crashing all browsers...

Using applications, configuring, problems
haywirepc

Facebook crashing all browsers...

#1 Post by haywirepc »

Started using my puppy linux machine after some time off in windows land due to work stuff for awhile.

First, chrome version that is available for tahrpup linux 6.005 from quickpet too old, so you get that annoying yellow bar at top on facebook telling you to upgrade your browser. Seems google dropped linux 32 bit upgrades...

So I install chromium from the puppy package manager. YAY annoying yellow bar went away. But now facebook crashes chromium.

Annoyed, I say fine I'll just use firefox. Well facebook crashes that almost immediately. I suspect its a flash problem, so I try and install latest flash from quickpet, but it tells me already installed.

Installed pepperflash from repos. Still crash city.

Tried clearing history and cache on all browsers. Still crash city.

Any advice or things to try greatly appreciated.

8Geee

#2 Post by 8Geee »

If you want, try using FireFox 45.8esr (note the esr), and see if that helps. I don't know what FF you tried, but 32-bit works better with 45.8esr.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

haywirepc

#3 Post by haywirepc »

Where can I get that version?

haywirepc

#4 Post by haywirepc »

P.S. I have not tried a web or .deb install yet, I have the latest firefox in the repos I think...

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

Uninstall the Chromium you have.

Try one from here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81351
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

haywirepc

#6 Post by haywirepc »

Looks like I need to upgrade glibc to use this. Any idea where to get that I don't see it in the repos. Error message from terminal when attempting to run this version of chromium :

/usr/lib/chromium/chromium: /lib/libdbus-1.so.3: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/chromium/chromium)
/usr/lib/chromium/chromium: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by /usr/lib/chromium/chromium)

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

You can't upgrade the glibc. It is the General 'C' library, around which every single piece of your Puppy is built. If you even try, you will break your Pup. To do so, you would have to re-compile the entire Pup (which would be no small undertaking, trust me). Tahr 6.05 is considered too 'old' by Chromium these days, because Google (aka the Chromium Projects) insist on compiling the damn thing against the very newest glibc all the time.

(They then turn around, take the Chromium source code, and re-compile it against a much older version to produce Chrome..!)

I have the greatest of respect for peebee.....but it's getting so that Chromium itself is becoming a total PITA. The most recent version that just 'works' for me under all circumstances is 36.0.1985.143; it gives me no hassle at all. (But then, I never go near the likes of FacePoop and Twatter..... :lol: )

Since you can't get 32-bit Chrome any longer, give the SlimJet & Iron threads in the 'Browsers & internet' section a look. They're Chromium-based, but like Chrome, Flashpeak and SRWare have compiled their versions against a much older glibc, to maintain maximum compatibility for as many people as possible.

That way, you've got the newest available version. FaceBook, like so many other social networking sites, are starting to get so their coding demands the very newest browser all the time, in order to work at all. This is in no small part due to the fact that in recent years, they have all been 'hacked' in a BIG way.....and the newest browsers are supposedly more 'secure'..!! :roll:

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.

Moose On The Loose

Re: Facebook crashing most browsers...

#8 Post by Moose On The Loose »

haywirepc wrote:Started using my puppy linux machine after some time off in windows land due to work stuff for awhile.

First, chrome version that is available for tahrpup linux 6.005 from quickpet too old, so you get that annoying yellow bar at top on facebook telling you to upgrade your browser. Seems google dropped linux 32 bit upgrades...

I use FF-31 and
Custom user-agent string 0.1.1 extension
Set to:
Mozilla/5.0 (linux; rv:60.0) Gecko/60.0 Firefox/60.0

This works very well for me on things other than FaceBook. It fools the site into thinking I have a newer version than the newest they have heard of and thus there can't be any problems with my browser.

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

Moose On The Loose wrote:I use FF-31 and
Custom user-agent string 0.1.1 extension
Set to:
Mozilla/5.0 (linux; rv:60.0) Gecko/60.0 Firefox/60.0

This works very well for me on things other than FaceBook. It fools the site into thinking I have a newer version than the newest they have heard of and thus there can't be any problems with my browser.
^^^ Sneaky..!! :lol: :P

But, uh, hey; if it works.....

Mike. :wink:

haywirepc

#10 Post by haywirepc »

i have been using puppy linux as my main os for over 8 years. I've spent countless hours fixing bugs and annoyances in tahrpup. I really miss lucid, it just worked. Been thinking of moving to more mainstream linux distro for awhile now. These latest brower problems are really the last straw for me.

I don't understand the version numbering either. Calling tahrpup 6 point
anything is extremely wrong, given all its quirks, bugs, annoyances and
problems. In my view it doesn't even deserve 1.0 numbering.

No offense to all involved but when a distro can't even provide an up to date stable brower, its probably time to move on.

I really hate having to jump ship, but enough is enough. A stable up to date browser is a pretty important thing these days.

At least I don't have to go back to windows I guess, but I'll be spending weeks switching all my computers over to a new distro.

rcrsn51

#11 Post by rcrsn51 »

What's the latest Firefox version you have tried?

haywirepc

#12 Post by haywirepc »

Looks like 49.0.2 the version from quickpet.

mostly_lurking

#13 Post by mostly_lurking »

EDIT: There were some new replies while I was writing this post; judging from haywirepc's latest and rather frustrated posts, the glibc preload for newer browsers I mentioned further down seems to be the best option; it might even work on Lucid. (Unless someone has already prepared a browser package that fits the bill.)

-----------

Original post:

If you can't just ignore the "outdated browser" message, there are some things you could try:

- Changing Chrome's user agent string (that's the information your browser sends to a web server to tell it which browser and version it is). I have never used Chrome, so I don't know if it has a built-in option to do that, or if there are any add-ons available for it.

- You said both Firefox and Chromium crash, and you suspect it might be a Flash problem. Again, I don't know about Chrome/Chromium, but for Firefox, open its add-ons dialog and disable the Flash plugin(s). If it works now without crashing, you could try an older Flashplayer; they tend to be more stable than the "latest-and-greatest" ones (which may not be compatible with a slightly older browser or operating system), and Flashplayer 11.2 still works with most things.
There are some Flash 10 and 11 packages here: http://shinobar.server-on.net/puppy/opt/. Install one, restart Firefox and check your add-ons to make sure you are now using the older Flashplayer. If you have trouble installing an older version over a newer one, go into /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, remove libflashplayer.so, and replace it with the one from the Flash 11 package (to extract the package, change its file extension from .pet to .tar.gz and open it with an archive program).
Note: it is possible to have multiple Flash plugins installed; your browser will probably use the one with the highest version number, unless you disable it. If you want to keep your current Flashplayer and just turn it off for using Facebook, do not install the older package, but just extract libflashplayer.so from it and rename it to something like "libflashplayer11.so" before putting it into the plugins folder next to the existing Flash plugin.

As for the glibc problem - you might run into that a lot when you try to use newer browsers, as they tend to be compiled for very recent systems and as Mike Walsh said, even Tahr is already getting "outdated" by now according to the Linux world's hyperactive development standards, and upgrading glibc will likely break yor system. It is possible to preload a program with a newer glibc (with its files stored in the program's folder, and not affecting the system), but it's not exactly a simple task. This post by ac2011 describes a possible way of doing it.

However, if you look around the "Additional Software" section here, you might find recent browsers tweaked to work with your system, or maybe someone here can give you a tip.

Sailor Enceladus

#14 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

There's a Tahrpup 6.0.6 out, the version of Palemoon it has (27.1?) is now usable with Facebook iirc.

8Geee

#15 Post by 8Geee »

I have posted an upload of FF45.8esr here for those that wish to try it. I recommend D/L the txt file and compare the sha256 sum... after all this is a browser. :wink:

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

torm

#16 Post by torm »

Just to dig old thing up..

TahrPup605 has Palemoon-updater next to Palemoon in menu.
Easy to use, FaceBook and YouTube working ok, no "yellow banner"s.

PS. NOT updated Palemoon may do funny things in FaceBook.. :D

april

#17 Post by april »

I use precise 5.7.1 but found facebook crashed the seamonkey browser that comes with it so I updated to Seamonkey 2.46
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:49.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/49.0 SeaMonkey/2.46

No more problems

Robert123

#18 Post by Robert123 »

This facebook problem is not I repeat not just a linux problem it also happens with windows as well my wife's win7 machine being one example using firefox so she changed to Palemoon and the problem was resolved so far.
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]

Pelo

uploading pictures

#19 Post by Pelo »

:?: i use facebook each day with Puppy Linux, often with old browsers, not updated because Puppies are Precise or slacko 632, more often.
Nothing special with Facebook, excepted for uploading pictures not in the main topic, but in answers (level n-1)

PS / errors with browsers come back in my mind. I will give more accurate info soon.

Limbomusic

oh

#20 Post by Limbomusic »

Imho, Facebook is heavy and slow on old machines no matter what browser.
Tip: use mobile version instead:
https://m.facebook.com/
You dont get all the bells and whistles, but its perfectly usable and much faster.