Chloe X-Tahr

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Moat

Chloe X-Tahr

#1 Post by Moat »

Chloe X-Tahr is just my fat, amateur-ish, heavily re-mastered X-Tahr 2.0, by the Master Xfce Pup guru, rg66 -

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=99849

Lots of eye candy (themes, icons, fonts, wallpapers, custom default Greenbird Gtk2/3 theme [looks proper in late Firefox] w/Whisker menu decorations, etc), Firefox 51.0.1 w/my preferred selection of addons and about:config tweaks, games, Gimp, cairo clock, Pwidgets... and quite a bit more. Why she's a fattie. :)

Pretty close to what I think a Pup could/should be OOTB. Not perfect by any means - I had spent quite a bit of time months ago polishing away at it - only to discover a seemingly insurmountable issue (for noobish me, anyways) with Gimp creating un-explainable whiteout files in /root/.thumbnails/normal... so I just sorta ran out of steam. And here it sits - just thought I'd throw it out here, for anybody whom may be interested. :oops:

When running frugally with a savefile (my preference), it'll default to no periodic saves, and ask at shutdown with a 10 second timeout without saving - so a relativly quick shutdown process that leaves the savefile "pristine", by default. Select shutdown, and walk away.

The custom Whisker theme will eventually go all wonky if you switch to a different Gtk theme than the default Greenbird - in that case, delete the .gtkrc-2.0 file in the /root/ directory, and rename the orig.gtkrc-2.0 file back to .gtkrc-2.0 - then refresh the desktop via the purple-ish far-right tray button... Whisker should then pick up the new theme. A spare copy of the deleted Greenbird/Whisker .gtkrc-2.0 file can be found in the /usr/share/themes/Greenbird/ directory, if you want to go back.

Another Whisker .gtkrc-2.0 theme similarly exists for the custom Tempora theme, as well.

Check out the tweaked Clearlooks window titlebar buttons' 'prelight' color changes... I modified a number of the window manager themes to do that prelight/pressed thing. Surprised all themes don't have that feature enabled, as it's available/supported...!?!

Hopefully this link will work -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lfb78xruq2l65 ... 9.iso?dl=0

MD5sum should be fc785aec85f5f04752f361584a0d5ef0

I'm not very active here these days (not that I ever was in the first place), but any feedback appreciated. Hope somebody might like this little fattie! :D

Bob
Attachments
Chloe_X-Tahr2.0r9.jpg
Default Greenbird theme...
(54.38 KiB) Downloaded 823 times
Chloe_X-Tahr_2.jpg
Tempora theme...
(54.95 KiB) Downloaded 634 times
Chloe_X-Tahr2_4.jpg
(53.75 KiB) Downloaded 675 times

ally

#2 Post by ally »

Moat

#3 Post by Moat »

:shock: :shock:

:D

Fantastic! Thanks, ally!!! I'm honored! 8)

Bob

ally

#4 Post by ally »

you're very welcome

:)

Colonel Panic

#5 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks for this one. I downloaded it yesterday and it's working well except that I can't get sound to work on it (and that's not a deal-breaker since I could do with a quiet Pup for night time),

BTW, I really like the title bar font - very much like Saluki's (it may even be the same one).
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Moat

#6 Post by Moat »

Hi Colonel - thanks for giving it a spin!
Colonel Panic wrote:... it's working well except that I can't get sound to work on it
Interesting. Have you fussed with the ALSA or Retroval wizards at all, in an attempt to get sound up and running? Aside from such basic initial tweaks, I can't think of anything I've done that would have broken sound... it should all be the same as rg66's stock X-Tahr, underneath. Working on all of my boxes around here (with a tweak here or there), so far. Hmmm...
Colonel Panic wrote:BTW, I really like the title bar font - very much like Saluki's (it may even be the same one).
Yes - Cherry Cream Soda is the font, and is the same as Saluki/Carolina. Modern and "playful", yet perfectly legible and classy - my fav titlebar font, for sure.

Hope you otherwise enjoy Chloe X-Tahr - the little desktop tweaks and aesthetic polish, Firefox's set-up, and extra applications. Sorry about it's size - there were a few small programs I installed via PPM, and they just so happened to pull in a few huge libs... but I wanted the apps, so left it all as-is.

Thanks! :)

Bob
Attachments
Retrovol_tweak.jpg
Worth a try...
(40.65 KiB) Downloaded 1842 times

Pelo

ah i am excited by screenshots,

#7 Post by Pelo »

ah i am excited by screenshots, and the menu graphics. Chloe will be my next test-bench..
"very much like Saluki's (it may even be the same one). " that would be perfect.. :!:
Ally when wireless better. Feed back next days. 448mbs !
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 26 Sep 2017, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel Panic

#8 Post by Colonel Panic »

Moat wrote:Hi Colonel - thanks for giving it a spin!
You're welcome. :) It's worth it - you've clearly put a lot of work into it.
Moat wrote:Interesting. Have you fussed with the ALSA or Retroval wizards at all, in an attempt to get sound up and running?!

Yes, I have, and still no dice. Sorry.
Moat wrote:Aside from such basic initial tweaks, I can't think of anything I've done that would have broken sound... it should all be the same as rg66's stock X-Tahr, underneath. Working on all of my boxes around here (with a tweak here or there), so far. Hmmm...!
If it's any consolation, I can't be sure that X-Tahr would work either. One thing I've learnt from posting here (and reading blogs like Dedoimedo's) is that computers are very individual things - what works on one won't necessarily work on another.

It's probably one reason why I've never wanted to produce a Puppy derivative myself (at least not for general release).
Moat wrote:Yes - Cherry Cream Soda is the font, and is the same as Saluki/Carolina. Modern and "playful", yet perfectly legible and classy - my fav titlebar font, for sure.

Yes, I think it's mine too.
Moat wrote:Hope you otherwise enjoy Chloe X-Tahr - the little desktop tweaks and aesthetic polish, Firefox's set-up, and extra applications.

I'm sure I will - and as I said, I could do with a Pup for night time when it's important that I not disturb my neighbours, especially since I can't turn off my desktop speakers at the moment (long story).
Moat wrote:Sorry about it's size - there were a few small programs I installed via PPM, and they just so happened to pull in a few huge libs... but I wanted the apps, so left it all as-is.
Not a problem at all, as long as it fits on a CD. In fact I've also run EMSee's Ultra distros, which weigh in at more than 2 gigabytes.
Moat wrote:Thanks! :)

Bob
You're welcome! I also like the choice of clocks.

Here's a song which might be appropriate;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkUsUKZefy0

Cheers,

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#9 Post by Colonel Panic »

P.S. One last thing Moat - did you by any chance turn off Javascript in Firefox? It's easily enabled if you need to (and I needed it to log into my e-mail provider), but given the choice I'd prefer to have the option of being able to turn it on or off from a toolbar, as you can if you install an extension like QuickJS;

https://www.ghacks.net/2013/07/30/how-t ... n-firefox/

Moat

#10 Post by Moat »

Colonel Panic wrote:... did you by any chance turn off Javascript in Firefox?
Yes, but a toolbar extension is already there... notice the red "JS", "F" and "A" buttons on FF's toolbar, just right of the address bar - simply click the "JS" to toggle to blue, enabling JavaScript. "F" is for Flashplayer, "A" is animated images - all part of the Quick Java addon (it has other options available in the Menu>Add-ons>Extensions>Preferences menu, as well). It's a simple, handy addon. Red for "off", blue for "on" - and can be set to automatically re-load the page when toggled, too.

BTW, I have Firefox set to cache completely in RAM - it'll save passwords, cookies and browsing history, but empties all other cached page data on closing - flushing baddies/bugs. :) A tiny bit slower to load re-visited pages on fast connections (meh - barely noticable), but worth it unless on very low-speed connection or dial-up, for the security and session space saved.

Love the Elton John - beautiful, tasteful guitar solo! 8)

Bob

Moat

#11 Post by Moat »

Colonel Panic wrote:It's probably one reason why I've never wanted to produce a Puppy derivative myself (at least not for general release).
Ha, yeah - I think I know what you mean. I was quite hesitant to "release" this Pup, as I have neither the expertise or time/energy to adequately support it (eh... it's essentially rg66's X-Tahr, so what applies here mostly applies there anyway). But at the same time, I think I've accomplished enough neat little things with it that it may, at least, be of some interest/use to others around here - maybe even inspiring somebody who actually knows what they're doing to incorporate some of these ideas into a more "official" Puppy release. :)

Everybody's ideas and needs are different, of course, but I think this Pup is especially likable in that I can boot to a $0.30 CD, import my bookmarks from the cloud, and immediately get right on with doing what I want/need to do, in a comfortable, complete and snappy computing environment - already set up just how I like it. For those with same/similar needs and preferences, this Pup could be a really good choice.

For what it's all worth!

Bob

Colonel Panic

#12 Post by Colonel Panic »

More bad news I'm afraid Bob - both Firefox and Seamonkey crashed and kept on crashing as soon as they were started. In the end I deleted the savefile and will start again tonight with a fresh one.

(This is, to be fair, a problem I've also had with other Pups than Chloe, and there's no suggestion otherwise.)

Moat

#13 Post by Moat »

Colonel Panic wrote:... both Firefox and Seamonkey crashed and kept on crashing ...
Seamonkey from the PPM? Maybe a conflict of some sort - if I get some time, I'll install Seamonkey and try to reproduce. Hmmm... I wonder if the same happens on a clean X-Tahr...

By itself, Firefox has been running perfectly here. Damn! :?

Bob

Colonel Panic

#14 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks for replying Bob.
Moat wrote:Seamonkey from the PPM?.
No, extracted from the tar.bz2 file. I could only get version 2.26 from the PPM.

I'm trying it that way this time round to see if it makes a difference, only using software I've installed from the PPM, and so far (touch wood) it's been OK.
Moat wrote: Maybe a conflict of some sort - if I get some time, I'll install Seamonkey and try to reproduce. Hmmm... I wonder if the same happens on a clean X-Tahr...

By itself, Firefox has been running perfectly here. Damn! :?
To be honest I'm puzzled as to what's going on. All I was doing was extracting seamonkey and thunderbird to the my-applications folder, so it shouldn't have made a difference.

However, I'd say don't bother with it on my account. If I get any more crashes from the programs I've installed in the orthodox way (using the PPM), then maybe it would be worth your time looking into it.

Best,

CP .

Moat

#15 Post by Moat »

Hi Colonel - glad you seem to have gotten it sorted, via the PPM's Seamonkey.

I've just now had the time to give this a play;

Downloaded the seamonkey-2.46.tar.bz2 from the official website, extracted to /root/my-applications/, and fired off the 127.0 kB seamonkey executable from there (or an absolute symlink placed on the desktop) - and as you can see in the screenshot, both are running fine so far in my brief testing. No idea what may be the issue for you!?! :?

This is running the liveCD with an ext4 savefile on the laptop's HD.

Bob
Attachments
Seamonkey_and_Firefox.jpg
Both running OK here...
(96.36 KiB) Downloaded 1327 times

csipesz

#16 Post by csipesz »

Very nice system!(olive green and his shades my favourite colours)
Your background pictures are BEAUTIFUL!
But: In the /root/Music folder these m3u files not works for me:
Attachments
NotWorks.jpg
(40.28 KiB) Downloaded 695 times

Colonel Panic

#17 Post by Colonel Panic »

Moat wrote:Hi Colonel - glad you seem to have gotten it sorted, via the PPM's Seamonkey.

I've just now had the time to give this a play;

Downloaded the seamonkey-2.46.tar.bz2 from the official website, extracted to /root/my-applications/, and fired off the 127.0 kB seamonkey executable from there (or an absolute symlink placed on the desktop) - and as you can see in the screenshot, both are running fine so far in my brief testing. No idea what may be the issue for you!?! :?

This is running the liveCD with an ext4 savefile on the laptop's HD.

Bob
Hio again Bob,

Nor have I, but I'm guessing it may be a hard drive problem since I've been storing my save files on there and it was problems with my hard drive which stopped me installing distros to it in the first place. I'm experimenting with storing my save files on a USB drive instead for the time being and seeing if things are any better.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Wed 11 Apr 2018, 05:33, edited 1 time in total.

Moat

#18 Post by Moat »

Hi csipesz -
csipesz wrote: In the /root/Music folder these m3u files not works for me:
I know, and that is disappointing! That collection is only a few months old, but streaming radio stations seem to disappear or change url's or pop up somewhere else, all of the time. A constantly moving target, in other words. Unreliable! :?

I wish it weren't so - but at least some of the saved stations should still be working for you, hopefully? Also, in Firefox I've included a bookmark to https://www.internet-radio.com/, where you should be able to find some more useable stations.

Otherwise, thanks for giving Chloe a spin! :) I'm glad you like the default olive/sand themeing - it's different, for sure, but "warmer", more inviting/"earthy" and easier on the eyes than the typical pale blues and grays of which I'm so very tired of. Definitely not for everybody, but I've spent quite a bit of time tweaking it to my personal liking... and now I couldn't go back.

Bob

Moat

#19 Post by Moat »

Also thought I should mention -

Cairo clock's minute hand doesn't update properly, sometimes lagging a number of minutes before it refreshes to the correct current time. This seems to not be specific to this Puppy or Puppy in particular, as I've noticed the very same behavior in numerous "big" distros I've installed Cairo clock on recently.

Oddly, the big distro's Screenlets package clock - based on Cairo clock - keeps time properly.

And unfortunately, Pwidget's (Xonclock) clock has a habit of spontaneously disappearing from the desktop (something I've noticed it to do on numerous more recent Pups).

So the choice seems to be a clock that disappears, or one who's minute hand falls a little behind at times... :? One could try other clocks from the PPM (buici-clock, for example).

Bob
Attachments
buici-clock.jpg
Buici-clock on left...
(10.62 KiB) Downloaded 697 times

musher0

#20 Post by musher0 »

Hi guys.

Try xclock ? Never had a problem with it. Of course it's not as pretty.

As to the time lag problem itself, it could be that your on-board computer
battery (the round one inside your computer that looks like a silver
quarter) is getting old OR your ntpdate utility that connects to your
country's time servers is not doing its job properly.

Concerning Internet radio stations, maybe start with this page:
http://www.ask.com/web?qsrc=1&o=0&l=dir ... archTopBox
and hunt down the style of music you like?

There are also major Internet radio networks such as Shoutcast or
AccuRadio you could look up.

IHTH
Attachments
xClock-example.jpg
(15.53 KiB) Downloaded 666 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)