Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 23 Oct 2017, 20:19
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Linphone 3.11.1
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Sat 08 Apr 2017, 14:32    Post subject:  Linphone 3.11.1
Subject description: Testing linphone-desktop build system

I have been very happy with my Linphone 3.8.4-106 builds which I compiled in various Puppies a little while ago. These were custom manual builds which were still quite small and did everything I needed.

Latest release is now 3.11.1 so I decided to take a look at how things have moved on. My main objective was to build a Linphone for Stretch Pup which I am testing. Turns out they have a simplified build system for the desktop version of Linphone which actually worked.

It involves downloading the linphone-desktop source package bundle.
Code:
git clone git://git.linphone.org/linphone-desktop.git --recursive

This downloads everything into a directory named "linphone-desktop"
Best to have this in /mnt/home or somewhere outside of save-file.
You go into it and run the python script ./prepare.py followed by "make" and the whole thing builds inside there in a directory named "OUTPUT"

Furthermore, you don't need to install it into your system, you can run it from that location under /mnt/home as the paths are all set up. Just symlink the "linphone" binary (in the /bin subdir) into your system PATH (/usr/bin) and do the .desktop file tweaks to create your menu entry.

The package contains all the dependencies in versions that are suitable for this Linphone (including ffmpeg) so the package of needed files is larger than my earlier Linphone versions. Once it is built you have the option to delete all the HUGE amount of source file clutter and other unneeded files.

Default build including all codecs completes successfully in Stretch but not in Wheezy (see notes below).Might try some other Puppy versions later since it is quite easy once you know how.

LATER NOTES:-
Requires Cmake version 3.0 or later. Most Puppies have a version that is too old but it is easy to upgrade. Latest stable release is 3.7.2 and this compiles from source with just a few simple steps.
https://yadi.sk/d/8dJPlK3x3GoPQr?force_show=1

Requires Java JDK for the build (but not at runtime once built). Use GetJava or packages from here:-
https://yadi.sk/d/5aP6BYgSoJ5Hp?force_show=1

Build with --all-codecs completes successfully in 32bit TahrPup 6.0.5 and Slacko 6.3.2 which are the 2 current official Puppies at the time of writing.

Wheezy requires libglew and libglew-dev from Debian plus the 2 above steps. Then build with --all-codecs -DENABLE_VCARD=NO and it completes. Only thing is that vCard support is disabled but I never use that anyway.

Precise also needs libglew and libglew-dev from Ubuntu and then same as for Wheezy.

One little bug report - I have to uncheck "Allow IPv6" TWICE in Preferences for the setting to stick.
Also the "Clear call history" button only works after re-start.

Some EXPERIMENTAL packages uploaded for testing here:-
https://yadi.sk/d/qw7vmT9s3GpZnx?force_show=1
See a few posts down for more details.
linphone3111.jpg
 Description   Linphone 3.11.1 built and under test in Dpup Stretch
 Filesize   64.45 KB
 Viewed   324 Time(s)

linphone3111.jpg

Last edited by OscarTalks on Wed 12 Apr 2017, 05:31; edited 4 times in total
slavvo67

PostPosted: Sat 08 Apr 2017, 15:14    Post subject:  

Hi Oscar,

Just uploaded a new RU Xerus64 and looking to possibly add this to the next build. I dislike multiple windows opening in one program, though. Do you know of a fix?

Thanks,

Slavvo67
musher0

PostPosted: Sat 08 Apr 2017, 15:32    Post subject:  

Thanks, OscarTalks.

If I may ask a few newbie questions:

What is the advantage of using LinPhone or similar?

Free long distance calls? By-passing the telephone company (and the
phone bill) entirely?

What about sound quality? Is it good or just so-so?

Can you still have a phone number and a physical telephone or is it
Internet URLs with headphones only?

TIA for any answers or leads.

« Il ne faut pas multiplier les entités logiques sans nécessité. » (Ockham)
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Sat 08 Apr 2017, 15:44    Post subject:  

Hi Slavvo,

It is normally just the main window that opens at start. You also get the SIP account wizard until you have set up at least one account. I opened the others for the screenshot. The dialpad could be in the main gui I suppose, but this would have to be at source code level so I would not know how. The earlier version had a button for this but it was still a separate window. Now I have to use the drop-down Options menu to open it so it almost seems that its importance has been relegated which I admit does not make sense. Most programs have the "About" dialog as a separate window and same goes for Preferences. I use Linphone pretty much every day including as my main landline phone so I will be interested to see how this new version performs.

OscarTalks

PostPosted: Sat 08 Apr 2017, 16:29    Post subject:  

Hi Musher0,

It is useful and advantageous in a number of ways. Although there are a few exceptions, generally speaking though it does NOT offer free calls to phone numbers.

It does interface with the phone system and you can use it to receive calls from phones at no cost. The caller would be paying for the call in the normal way in this case.

Otherwise it is audio and video calling and IM using the non-proprietory SIP protocol so it can communicate with other SIP clients on other platforms (in theory). You can encrypt everything too.

A SIP address is almost like an e-mail address so really I don't know why it never caught on as a mainstream way for people to communicate.

Sound quality is fine. You have lots of codecs to choose from in Preferences including some wide-band ones.

The Linphone client is kind of a substitute for the hardware phone and it has more flexibilty eg for free SIP to SIP calling and IM. You can use a normal hardware phone for SIP VoIP for cheap phone calls but that requires an adapter and Linphone would then not be involved although you could have both working on the same line and then choose whether to use Linphone or the hardware phone for making or answering a call.

musher0

PostPosted: Sat 08 Apr 2017, 16:49    Post subject:  

Many thanks for those clear answers, OscarTalks!

BFN.

« Il ne faut pas multiplier les entités logiques sans nécessité. » (Ockham)
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Wed 12 Apr 2017, 05:27    Post subject:  

This linphone-desktop build system is designed to compile Linphone in the source directory and also run Linphone from within the source directory. One advantage of this is that you can leave it all in place and re-run the script at any time to update the program.

One drawback with this is that I can't move the files into the standard system locations like /usr/bin and /usr/lib and /usr/share because the paths are wrong. This makes it difficult to offer .pet and .sfs packages which I would like to do because not everybody likes compiling. Also we have to make sure that all the Linphone-specific dependency libraries are given priority over any system libraries (eg ffmpeg).

Putting files under /initrd/mnt/dev_save (or /mnt/home) in a .pet or .sfs package seems wrong. In some cases it works but can cause issues in certain scenarios, so I thought I would explore other ideas.

Compiling with relative prefix enabled and launching with a wrapper script I am able to assemble a package which installs in /opt and appears to have all the right paths and priorities. Also this takes the form of a conventional package with nothing in weird locations. If anyone would like to take precautions and test these experimental packages I will upload them here:-
https://yadi.sk/d/qw7vmT9s3GpZnx?force_show=1

I'm afraid it is no longer small, but supposedly offers HD video and other nice features. Some of the bulk is media ringtone files which could be thinned out, but maybe with full installs and save-folders and .sfs loading, size is not all that important compared to function.

watchdog

PostPosted: Wed 12 Apr 2017, 14:11    Post subject:  

Hi, OscarTalks. I tried your pet for precise but I have had no success to configure linphone to use my sip.diamondcard.us account (ekiga-call-out). I have no friends using free sip accounts and I use linphone or puppyphone-psip to voip call real telephone numbers by sip.diamondcard.us where I have some money. I used previous your linphone builds in this manner. The built-in puppyphone of precise does not longer work for me (I have problems of NAT traversal...) and I installed the old mikeb's psip 0.26 which is working a marvel. Psip 1.41 from fatdog64 works in other 64 bit puppies in development. This is my report. I think I'll stick with the previous versions of linphone.
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Thu 13 Apr 2017, 11:59    Post subject:  

Thanks for testing and reporting. Maybe there is a problem with the method I used for creating a package. I have never tried to use diamondcard. I would be curious to know what step in the configuration failed to work but only if it is convenient for you to post this. If you only use SIP softphones for calling out to phones then really you don't need this latest larger Linphone anyway. The older and smaller ones are fine for this as you say. For calling out to phones my main provider is sipgate, not the cheapest but has always been reliable. I also have tel2 as a back-up provider. Both of these give me a free normal landline number for my incoming calls, but the SIP addresses they use can not be accessed for free calls (apart from others using the same provider). With Linphone you can log in with several providers simultaneously so you can use free and paid-for services at the same time. This is one thing that PSIP does not appear to be able to do.

Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: