Does Puppy unmount drives during shutdown?

Booting, installing, newbie
Smithy

Does Puppy unmount drives during shutdown?

#1 Post by Smithy »

Just out of interest, when one shuts down Puppy, does the script check if hard drives are mounted and graciously close them if mounted or whatever?
I do have a kwik shutdown icon on the taskbar that just closes down in 3 secs, but Micko warned about trashing drives, so I usually close them manually.

Don't think Puppy has trashed a drive since dingo, (and before) but just looking for a boffin statement! Mocchi will know this one, believe he's working on ROX or something.

Sailor Enceladus

#2 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

When I shutdown puppy it says "unmounting /mnt/sda1" "unmounting /mnt/sda3". I don't think it's lying to me? :lol:

mostly_lurking

#3 Post by mostly_lurking »

I'm not sure about your quick shutdown, and I usually unmount everything manually... but as far as I can tell, drives get unmounted when using the normal shutdown procedure. I once was unable to unmount a partition because it was occupied by some process. It was getting late so I didn't look into it any further and just said "screw it", and clicked poweroff. Upon booting down, I got the message that the process was killed and the partition unmounted.

So far, I've had no problems with corrupted drives/filesystems, even when I had to reboot the computer abruptly with drives still mounted because the system or X server had locked up; probably because there were no write actions going on at these times. (And since I'm using a multisession CD, there is no risk of savefile corruption, either.) I suppose it's best to unmount everything before using some quick-and-dirty shutdown procedure, if you aren't sure that it takes care of this - just to be on the safe side.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

Open the file /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown and check out all the references to umount.

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

In all the Puppies I have used.
In a normal shutdown. Puppy does unmount anything mounted, before proceeding with shutdown.

This will make a desktop icon, to shutdown, that will use Puppies normal shutdown procedure.

In Rox file manager.
Go to /usr/bin
Left click and drag file wmpoweroff to the desktop.
Now have power off icon on desktop.

Right click on desktop icon for file.
To change name -> edit item
To change icon -> set icon
( normal icon set is located at /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps )

Can also do this:

Make script file and place on desktop.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
# This powers off Linux Puppy !
#
wmpoweroff
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Smithy

#6 Post by Smithy »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:When I shutdown puppy it says "unmounting /mnt/sda1" "unmounting /mnt/sda3". I don't think it's lying to me? :lol:
That's good Sailor, I get zip indication with DPup distro.
I looked in the etc shutdown script. It has Zombie Killers (sounds handy)
and umount something or other.
So the answer is Yes, Possibly or Maybe.

slavvo67

#7 Post by slavvo67 »

I would argue sometimes but I'm really speaking from years past AND things may have changed significantly since my experiences:

Specifically, when I forgot to unmount an SFS file, the partition would not unmount and basically mount itself automatically at next boot. This is my sole reason for disliking .sfs files.

Anyway, don't recall what puppy but clearly one or a few older ones. May or may not still be the case..

Slavvo67

bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

I do have a kwik shutdown icon on the taskbar that just closes down in 3 secs, but Micko warned about trashing drives, so I usually close them manually.
That statement tells me, there is a good chance, using this just does not use the normal Puppy shutdown process.

The one I posted does use the normal shutdown.

Now that we know you are talking about Dpup. Someone that uses it will have to provide there knowledge.
However, it should be using the same normal shutdown process other normal Puppies use, when you select shutdown from the menu->Exit->Shut down.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Moose On The Loose

Re: Does Puppy unmount drives during shutdown?

#9 Post by Moose On The Loose »

Smithy wrote:Just out of interest, when one shuts down Puppy, does the script check if hard drives are mounted and graciously close them if mounted or whatever?

Don't think Puppy has trashed a drive since dingo, (and before) but just looking for a boffin statement! Mocchi will know this one, believe he's working on ROX or something.
The script in 528 does umount the drives. There is a bug that I was working on fixing while working on something else and stopped for reasons of not having the time to focus. I will briefly explain:

When you look on a hard drive as see a *.sfs file or a *.2fs file, you can mount it by clicking on it. This mounts it via a "loop". The unmounting of the drive the file is on will fail. On 528, this stops the shutdown process but I don't know about other puppies. My fix was to look for any loopbacks and do them first and repeat the process if there is a loop of a file from a loop.

Someone could out of frustration or ignorance power off the machine with some drives still mounted.

Burn_IT

#10 Post by Burn_IT »

I know someone who always just hits the power switch without closing anything.
However, to be fair, it is always well after any use of the machine and he has not, as far as I know, had any file problems.

In contrast, I always unmount drives or shut the OS down gracefully (unless it crashes).
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

slavvo67

#11 Post by slavvo67 »

I was advised by RSH that newer puppies do unmount even the .sfs files before shutting down. Apparently, this was placed in Woof-CE at some point, so using the normal shutdown should unmount everything!!

Thanks RSH for the script that made it to Woof-CE to enhance its greatness!

Kind regards,

Slavvo67

Smithy

#12 Post by Smithy »

Now that we know you are talking about Dpup. Someone that uses it will have to provide their knowledge.
However, it should be using the same normal shutdown process other normal Puppies use, when you select shutdown from the menu->Exit->Shut down.
Well it is a dpup bigpup, but not as we know it jim. It is a pemasu dpup wheezy but with joseph's pupjibaro kernel and drivers and engine stuff.
You know that neat little surgical remaster jrb thread. Been testing it for a while now and everything seems a ok.

I like the way one can upgrade a bit without starting all over again.

Not sure about the Package Manager but pets are cool!
Makes it a puppy and a social affair rather than a linux even though it's just in the mind and it is a linux but not a fat bloater.
In contrast, I always unmount drives or shut the OS down gracefully (unless it crashes).
BurnIT. Puppy doesn't crash, ever!

Even pushing it with qtractor. I would say that QT can get a bit edgy , especially those qt browsers slimjet or boat or whatever it is, I blew them up a couple of times.

So you guys saying that a newer puppy made with newer woof updates will actually say, "closing your drives" at shutdown? Could be reassuring but I trust the basic umount routines are probably in there since days of yore!

Pretty phenomenal work by Barry and everyone else looking at those scripts.
And to be fair it makes one appreciate what windows and mac programmers have achieved over the years with their programming. Except the 'orrible spyware stuff they are possibly forced to put in now,
And the javascript on some websites now is just ridiculous.

Burn_IT

#13 Post by Burn_IT »

BurnIT. Puppy doesn't crash, ever!
Ha! Ha!
When are you going to Edinburgh??
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Smithy

#14 Post by Smithy »

Ha, been years since I've been up the tron for Hogmanay! September I guess?
You get crashes in puppy?

LazY Puppy

#15 Post by LazY Puppy »

slavvo67 wrote:I was advised by RSH that newer puppies do unmount even the .sfs files before shutting down. Apparently, this was placed in Woof-CE at some point, so using the normal shutdown should unmount everything!!

Thanks RSH for the script that made it to Woof-CE to enhance its greatness!

Kind regards,

Slavvo67
Thanks, though: no, it wasn't my script that made it into woof-ce. It was just one of my ideas. Of course they'd rewritten or new written the script.

A few years back -can't recall the correct year, though I think it was 2014 or 2013- there was a topic where a user was asking for some strange directories in /mnt and if it would be secure to remove them. Those path's had looked like:

- /mnt/+mnt+home+Module+LP2_Aqualung-1.0-t64.sfs
- /mnt/+mnt+home+Module+LP2_Audacity-tahr-2.1.sfs

These empty directories had been caused by not un-mounting .sfs files before reboot or shut down. Of course, .sfs files that were not loaded by sfs_load (mounted if you just click it once to watch its content etc.)

In that topic I'd mentioned my LazY Puppy un-mounting everything in /mnt before shutting down or rebooting. I also mentioned to unload .*fs files first as they could have been mounted from within a .iso file. Un-mounting a .iso file will fail if there's a .*fs file still mounted from within that .iso file.

However, I'm pretty sure about Smithy was posting in that topic.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink: