Anyone know how to re-enable a lost menu bar at the bottom?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
PappyPuppy

Anyone know how to re-enable a lost menu bar at the bottom?

#1 Post by PappyPuppy »

I know at one point my /tmp folder had filled up so I rebooted and now it's back down below 1% full, which is good.

But upon reboot to clear out the /tmp folder, I can't get my menu bar back up.

This might be called a Tray.

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hello PappyPuppy.

What window manager are you using?

For jwm, check in /root if you have a file called .jwmrc-tray.bak. If you do, copy
(copy, not rename!) it to .jwmrc-tray.

Then recycle jwm. Do not reboot, it is not necessary, simply recycle jwm. With

Code: Select all

jwm -restart 
in console or from menu: Quit -=> and click "Restart WM" in the panel.

If do not have this .jwmrc-tray.bak file in /root, try, from console:

Code: Select all

cp -f /initrd/pup_ro2/root/.jwmrc-tray /root/.jwmrc-tray
or equivalent with two ROX windows, one at directory /root, the other at directory
/initrd/pup_ro2/root/.

Please note: the restored file will probably NOT have your latest changes.

IHTH.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

PappyPuppy

I don't have the jwc file nor do I have initrd

#3 Post by PappyPuppy »

Is there a place where I can find the file that enables the tray?

I have the following directories:

devsave, kernel-modules, pup_init, pup_save, pup_multi, pup_ro, pup_ro10, pup_ro11, pup_ro12.

PappyPuppy

I've stumbled across a command called restartwm jvm

#4 Post by PappyPuppy »

Is there two types? ie. Openbox vs. the jwm style?

If you can hold on for a bit, will this new menu system be there when I reboot, or do I have to do something to make it come up on reboot?

I don't really care which I use or is the jwm a little better?

Just advise me what to do if you can think of anything. I don't know anything about the window manager/tray manager. But at least I can run for now with this new, different-looking one. It's fine as long as it works.

There is a tray item called Show Desktop - why would I want to "Show Desktop" when it's already showing?

Nonetheless, the new Window Manager seems fancier.
Last edited by PappyPuppy on Sun 28 Jan 2018, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.

Keef

#5 Post by Keef »

Just click on the 'Home' icon on the desktop, or if that's not here, open Rox from the menu. These open the directory you want. When the window opens, click on the 'eye' icon which shows the hidden files.

PappyPuppy

I've now clicked on the eye icon and it shows those files

#6 Post by PappyPuppy »

Keef wrote:Just click on the 'Home' icon on the desktop, or if that's not here, open Rox from the menu. These open the directory you want. When the window opens, click on the 'eye' icon which shows the hidden files.
So I should now use some procedure even though my desktop looks fine now?

PappyPuppy

This is the one in home

#7 Post by PappyPuppy »

<JWM>
<Tray autohide="false" insert="right" x="0" y="-1" border="1" height="28" >

<!-- Additional TrayButton attribute: label -->
<TrayButton label="menu" icon="/usr/share/icons/fatdog32.png">root:3</TrayButton>

<TrayButton popup="browse" icon="/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/www48.png">exec:defaultbrowser</TrayButton>
<TrayButton popup="Show Desktop" icon="mini-desktop.xpm">showdesktop</TrayButton>

<!-- Additional Pager attributes; width, height -->
<Pager/>

<!-- Additional TaskList attribute: maxwidth -->
<TaskList maxwidth="200"/>

<Dock/>

<!-- Additional Swallow attribute: height -->

<!-- <Swallow name="blinky">
blinkydelayed -bg "#6C746F"
</Swallow> -->

<!-- <Swallow name="xtmix-launcher">
xtmix -launch
</Swallow> -->

<!-- <Swallow name="asapm">
asapmshell -u 4
</Swallow> -->

<!-- <Swallow name="freememapplet" width="34">
freememappletshell
</Swallow> -->

<Swallow name="xload" width="32">
xload -nolabel -bg "#6C746F" -fg red -hl white
</Swallow>

<Clock>osmo</Clock>
</Tray>
</JWM>

PappyPuppy

Maybe I should just make a backup of that file?

#8 Post by PappyPuppy »

I can make a copy in case this happens again.

Or should I try to figure out which file my new desktop uses?

Update: Ok, I can tell now that there is a correspondence between the stuff in the file .jwmrc-tray and what I NOW see on the desktop, so we have the right file now. It has Osmo the clock, Show Desktop, Browse, and 1. I can see lines in the file .jwmrc-tray for each of these things. So hopefully this file will be used if I ever have to reboot.

PappyPuppy

Osmo has a contact and task manager

#9 Post by PappyPuppy »

I have some tasks to manage so I'll try it out. Osmo's upper torso now appears on the tray bar on the right next to some other icons. This is how to access Osmo.

I like this new desktop better.

tallboy

#10 Post by tallboy »

PappyPuppy wrote:There is a tray item called Show Desktop - why would I want to "Show Desktop" when it's already showing?
It is very useful when many open program windows cover all your buttons on the desktop, and you need to click on an icon under those windows. The Show Desktop button will magically make all clutter disappear, and just click again to redraw all open windows afterwards.

I suggest you take a little peek at the Wiki. It is not entirely up to date, but will nevertheless give you an insight in how many things work.

I don't know which Puppy you have, but in my Lucid 5.2.8.7, there is also an icon on the desktop whith the text plan, which also opens Osmo. Right-click on an icon, and you'll find several choises there, for example: File 'plan' -> Open as text

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

PappyPuppy

Yes, I now realize that "Show Desktop" can

#11 Post by PappyPuppy »

It's useful to be able to hide all of my windows as I often have 30 or 40 programs running at once. And I just need to see the desktop.

Show Desktop is a toggle back and forth.

Update: PLEASE DISREGARD THE BELOW PARAGRAPH AS I HADN'T YET REALIZED THAT GEANY 1.26 DOES have save actions, you just have to enable it and specify that you want to save the file, and where to.
I'm lazy, what I should do is upgrade my 7.02 to 7.10 so I can run Geany version 1.32. I am still running Geany version 1.26 and all of the file save features, stuff like the file save actions don't really work much. I'm too lazy to recompile 1.26 and too worried that it won't run on Fatdog 7.02. But if I have a free moment, I will recompile Geany as an experiment. I have one other machine that I run 7.10 on, but it's not working right now. I don't mind, I have lots of machines that ARE working so it's ok to have one dead for a while. I am too fearful to upgrade my current 7.02 to 7.10. I'm worried that if I put my 7.10 cd in the tray and boot that it will hang up. My current 7.02 is pretty stable.
Last edited by PappyPuppy on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 01:07, edited 1 time in total.

PappyPuppy

I now realize that I have to edit plugin preferences

#12 Post by PappyPuppy »

And then check the backup check box and provide a location if other than the default /tmp. I learned this by resurrecting my Fatdog 7.10 machine and noticing I have version Geany 1.28. So I now realize that the 1.26 version of Geany has this too. So I'll see how it goes with automatically saving. I like to back up my text files - I have plenty of room on my drives for this.

So I don't need to upgrade to get that feature - I can run with my Geany 1.26. I notice that version 1.28 of Geany has a huge number of new plugins though. So maybe I can upgrade my 7.02 just to 1.28. I 'l lok into this.

Update: I now notice that the Save As Actions is working in Geany 1.26. It puts a copy in a temp folder of my choice.

PappyPuppy

Re: I now realize that I have to edit plugin preferences

#13 Post by PappyPuppy »

PappyPuppy wrote:And then check the backup check box and provide a location if other than the default /tmp. I learned this by resurrecting my Fatdog 7.10 machine and noticing I have version Geany 1.28. So I now realize that the 1.26 version of Geany has this too. So I'll see how it goes with automatically saving. I like to back up my text files - I have plenty of room on my drives for this.

So I don't need to upgrade to get that feature - I can run with my Geany 1.26. I notice that version 1.28 of Geany has a huge number of new plugins though. So maybe I can upgrade my 7.02 just to 1.28. I 'l lok into this.

Update: I now notice that the Save As Actions is working in Geany 1.26. It puts a copy in a temp folder of my choice.
I would recommend that people running Geany use a directory other than /tmp for the backup copy. The /tmp directory might wind up empty after a reboot, which would result in losing the backup. But the down-side is you will have many temporary copies. So make sure you delete backups every once in a while. I'm fairly certain that when I reboot, my /tmp folder is completely emptied, correct me if I'm wrong. It's a very nice feature that it gets emptied because it becomes full if you install large pieces of software - that use a lot of scratch space for the install.

musher0

#14 Post by musher0 »

I use /root/my-documents/tmp instead of /tmp for geany's timed back-up copies. Then
there is no danger of the back-ups being wiped out at shutdown or reboot.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

PappyPuppy

Geany's timed back-up copies

#15 Post by PappyPuppy »

musher0 wrote: geany's timed back-up copies.
I wasn't aware of the "timed" back-up copies. In my case I just use the Save Actions Dialog. Does this dialog by any chance utilize the Disk check timeout to decide when to make those time and date-stamped copies in my folder of choice? Is that what you mean?

I'm just trying to clarify if that is how it works, or if there is yet another mechanism for which I don't need the Save Actions plugin. I guess if I want to test my "theory", I should just change the disk check timeout to like 300 seconds and sit and watch the disk like a coyote to see when the directory file comes out from behind a tree.

Only problem is, at the rate I type, I could miss upwards of 40 pages of typing in 300 seconds. :lol:

PappyPuppy

Re: Geany's timed back-up copies

#16 Post by PappyPuppy »

PappyPuppy wrote:
musher0 wrote: geany's timed back-up copies.
I wasn't aware of the "timed" back-up copies. In my case I just use the Save Actions Dialog. Does this dialog by any chance utilize the Disk check timeout to decide when to make those time and date-stamped copies in my folder of choice? Is that what you mean?

I'm just trying to clarify if that is how it works, or if there is yet another mechanism for which I don't need the Save Actions plugin. I guess if I want to test my "theory", I should just change the disk check timeout to like 300 seconds (it's currently 30 seconds) and sit and watch the disk like a coyote to see when the directory file comes out from behind a tree.

Only problem is, at the rate I type, I could miss upwards of 40 pages of typing in 300 seconds. :lol:

I would also like to have a simple process that reminds me when the directory becomes above a certain number of files and/or size so I can delete the earlier ones in there - perhaps date-time driven to just automatically delete up to a certain point, maybe with a popup reminder.