EasyOS version 2.3.2, June 22, 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: EasyOS Pyro64 0.8.1 (Mar. 14), Xerus64 0.6.8 (Jan. 4), 2018

#586 Post by BarryK »

[quote="Billtoo"
EDIT2: I made a pet of Gkrellm in my 0.8.5 install and used it in 0.9.0,also added palemoon web browser.
I see that a remaster needs to be done before Palemoon can be run in a container so I will wait until I've finished adding stuff before doing the remaster.[/quote]

Ah yes, a container is q.sfs with a read/write folder on top, using aufs.
So if you remaster, you will then have palemoon in the q.sfs.

The alternative would be to copy all the palemoon files to the read/write folder, before starting the container.

That would be:
/mnt/wkg/containers/palemoon/.session

If you have installed palemoon, it is easy to see your installed files, look in /mnt/wkg/.session, and you can drag them across to the container.

I will need to think about this. Perhaps the PPM could offer to install an app directly to a container? That is, create the container and install the app to it.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: a couple of problems experienced

#587 Post by BarryK »

tigs wrote:Unfortunately, with the latest version 0.9=modesetting, I still can't detect the wifi card. Any idea?

love the fact that it detects NVME drives!
If you run menu -> System -> Pup-SysInfo, then choose "Devices -> Network", what does it tell you?

Another thing, open a terminal and type "dmesg | grep firmware", see if there is any report about firmware failing to load.

Then just "dmesg" and scan through, see if anything about wifi failing.

Support for NVMe ...yes, in theory!

EDIT:
Kept reading later posts, I see that your problem is solved!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#588 Post by BarryK »

rerwin wrote:YThe other item I think I reported earlier. Whenever I reboot normally, the boot-up fails to find the Easy USB drive, showing "sda ada sda sda sda sda sda", more messages, then stopping the boot-up. If I press ctrl-alt-del before it finishes, that reboot usually finds sdb ("sda sda sda sdb") and boots normally. (There are 3 partitions on sda.) Could shutdown be leaving something around that confuses the init script? The PC is a Compaq Presario SR5413WM, which I detailed earlier.
What are the details on the usb interface. Is it an adapter card? usb2 or 3.0/3.1?

Interesting that this is happening. init is in a loop, reading /sys/block, so for some reason sdb is not appearing in /sys/block

I wonder if it just needs more time?

It is quite easy to modify the init script, just open up initrd.q, just click on it. -- just in case you feel like experimenting with init yourself :)

I just had a quick look at the init script. It loops with "sleep 1", up to 8 times, then reports failure. 8 seconds should be enough.

So, there is some problem with the kernel not detecting the sdb interface.

Note, that "sda sda sda sdb" is not because of three partitions. The loop in init reads /sys/block and prints what is found.

First loop, it found only "sda"
Ditto for second loop.
Third loop it found "sda sdb"

So it took about 3 seconds for sdb to appear.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#589 Post by BarryK »

rerwin wrote:GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Richard,
I presume that mesa/opengl is using software rasterising, not 2d/3d hardware acceleration.

HardInfo -> Display

or

Pup-SysInfo -> Devices -> Display

should give you that info.

tigs

Re: a couple of problems experienced

#590 Post by tigs »

Thanks Barry for looking at issue. It was resolved as it is the driver that is missing. For your info, Here is the dmesg output.

# dmesg | grep firmware
[ 2.798830] psmouse serio2: trackpoint: IBM TrackPoint firmware: 0x0e, buttons: 3/3
[ 39.261105] [drm] Finished loading DMC firmware i915/kbl_dmc_ver1_01.bin (v1.1)
[ 40.483000] Bluetooth: hci0: Minimum firmware build 1 week 10 2014
[ 40.483272] bluetooth hci0: Direct firmware load for intel/ibt-12-16.sfi failed with error -2
[ 40.483273] Bluetooth: hci0: Failed to load Intel firmware file (-2)
[ 41.169454] iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-34.ucode failed with error -2
[ 41.169469] iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-33.ucode failed with error -2
[ 41.169482] iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-32.ucode failed with error -2
[ 41.169494] iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-31.ucode failed with error -2
[ 41.169506] iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-30.ucode failed with error -2
[ 41.169518] iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-29.ucode failed with error -2
[ 41.169531] iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-28.ucode failed with error -2
[ 41.169543] iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-27.ucode failed with error -2
[ 41.169555] iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-26.ucode failed with error -2
[ 41.169568] iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-25.ucode failed with error -2
[ 41.169580] iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-24.ucode failed with error -2
[ 41.169592] iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-23.ucode failed with error -2
[ 41.169604] iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-22.ucode failed with error -2
[ 41.169605] iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: no suitable firmware found!
[ 41.169607] iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: check git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git
#

BarryK wrote:
tigs wrote:Unfortunately, with the latest version 0.9=modesetting, I still can't detect the wifi card. Any idea?

love the fact that it detects NVME drives!
If you run menu -> System -> Pup-SysInfo, then choose "Devices -> Network", what does it tell you?

Another thing, open a terminal and type "dmesg | grep firmware", see if there is any report about firmware failing to load.

Then just "dmesg" and scan through, see if anything about wifi failing.

Support for NVMe ...yes, in theory!

EDIT:
Kept reading later posts, I see that your problem is solved!
I have noticed another problem, this time it is display. the Easy is running off a USB flash. the default display is something narrow occupying only the central portion of the screen. However, it displayed the entire desktop. I ran through the wizard under "setup basic". It properly detected the intel graphic. I followed the default which is xorg with sna. the screen will reload with proper desktop stretching to edges, however, with a very high resolution making it too small to read. I ran the setup basic again and pickup a proper resolution (1920x1080). It will reload and I would choose permanant. It will reload again with 1920x1080 resolution. Here are the problems;

1. It does not display the whole desktop. Only the top left portion of it was displayed. the icons on the top right, like "lock", "trash" etc, will be cut out of the desktop. So is to the bvottom part where all drive icons were located. I have to move everything to the top left before I adjust the resolution.

2. It does not save the changes after reboot. none of the changes I made were kept.

Keep up the great work. very promising build!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#591 Post by BarryK »

Rsync is still failing, so I am struggling on with gFTP.

Have uploaded all the variants:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/amd64/ ... /pyro/0.9/

However, have not confirmed the md5sums of any of them.

Right now, uploading the devx and kernel-source SFS files. It will take another several hours.

Cu Chulinux

#592 Post by Cu Chulinux »

I upgraded Easy using the modesetting version by copying over relevant boot files and updating BOOTSPECS. When rebooted it defaulted to Intel uxa mode which still makes the desktop menu unreadable and was not what was default with Easy 0.8.5. Also the desktop icons reverted to default green but rest of theme stayed to what I set up.

Switched to Intel sna and everything works fine.

Switched to modesetting and everything works fine.

Damn I need to turn off the touchpad when typing. Text ends up all over the place.

Billtoo

EasyOS Pyro64 0.8.1 (Mar. 14), Xerus64 0.6.8 (Jan. 4), 2018

#593 Post by Billtoo »

I did a fresh install of Easy Pyro64 0.9 Linux 4.14.32 x86_64
Modesetting to a usb-3.0 SSD for use on my Compaq desktop.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Fri 13 Apr 2018 on Easy Pyro64 0.9 Linux 4.14.32 x86_64
2.0 VGA compatible controller:
Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 10)
oem: Intel(r)Q33/Q35/G33 Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(r)Q33/Q35/G33 Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.19.1
dimensions: 1600x900 pixels (423x238 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) G33
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 17.0.7

Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz
Core 0: @1199 1: @1199 MHz

I ran xorgwizard and chose the intel driver, it did a test then
prompted to click an ok box, then xwin to the desktop.

Added a few pets + Palemoon web browser.
Just waiting for the devx to finish uploading.

Works good so far,
Thanks.

Rodney Byne

Moving a program from out to in a container

#594 Post by Rodney Byne »

To Barry,
Am now using 0.9 on usb successfully.
Similarly to your Palemoon reply to Billto earlier,
I have installed a Tor-browser sfs out of container and
wish to simply "drag" it to a created container for
both anonymity and security.
Your comments so far seem feasible, but the deeper
practicalities to achieve this are beyond me.
I would welcome a step-by-step process
to aid me in this endeavour.
Thanks & regards.

rerwin

#595 Post by rerwin »

BarryK wrote:
rerwin wrote:GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
I presume that mesa/opengl is using software rasterising, not 2d/3d hardware acceleration.
. . .
Pup-SysInfo -> Devices -> Display

should give you that info.
You are right. Report attached.
Attachments
sysinfo-video.gz
display summary
(521 Bytes) Downloaded 119 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#596 Post by BarryK »

Cu Chulinux wrote:I upgraded Easy using the modesetting version by copying over relevant boot files and updating BOOTSPECS. When rebooted it defaulted to Intel uxa mode which still makes the desktop menu unreadable and was not what was default with Easy 0.8.5. Also the desktop icons reverted to default green but rest of theme stayed to what I set up.

Switched to Intel sna and everything works fine.

Switched to modesetting and everything works fine.

Damn I need to turn off the touchpad when typing. Text ends up all over the place.
That method of installation, it did not default to modesetting, probably because file /mnt/wkg/.session/etc/modeprobe.d/i915.conf existed, with "options i915 modeset=1", and /mnt/wkg/.session/etc/X11/xorg.conf existed.

What was required, was to choose to rollback at the first bootup -- press F2 key when get the boot menu, to display extra menu items.
This will wipe everything in the .session folder.

Anyway, yes, you changed to modesetting afterward, which is fine.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Moving a program from out to in a container

#597 Post by BarryK »

Rodney Byne wrote:To Barry,
Am now using 0.9 on usb successfully.
Similarly to your Palemoon reply to Billto earlier,
I have installed a Tor-browser sfs out of container and
wish to simply "drag" it to a created container for
both anonymity and security.
Your comments so far seem feasible, but the deeper
practicalities to achieve this are beyond me.
I would welcome a step-by-step process
to aid me in this endeavour.
Thanks & regards.
I am planning to take care of this automatically for the next release, 0.9.1.

rerwin

#598 Post by rerwin »

BarryK wrote:What are the details on the usb interface. Is it an adapter card? usb2 or 3.0/3.1?
While the flash drive is usb3, the interface is usb2. I plug the drive into the front panel usb jacks, which I assume are considered to be part of the main board, not an adapter. Details attached.
init is in a loop, reading /sys/block, so for some reason sdb is not appearing in /sys/block

I wonder if it just needs more time?

It is quite easy to modify the init script, just open up initrd.q, just click on it. -- just in case you feel like experimenting with init yourself :)

I just had a quick look at the init script. It loops with "sleep 1", up to 8 times, then reports failure. 8 seconds should be enough.

So, there is some problem with the kernel not detecting the sdb interface.

Note, that "sda sda sda sdb" is not because of three partitions. The loop in init reads /sys/block and prints what is found.
Thanks for that explanation. I changed the sdb1 initrd.gz init script to wait up to 30 seconds. In 5 reboots, 4 took 9 seconds, but 1, 18! So, maybe a 10- or 20-second maximum wait would be safer than 8.
Attachments
sysinfo-usb.gz
USB interface and drive details
(406 Bytes) Downloaded 107 times

tigs

#599 Post by tigs »

Hi

If I want to install multiple copies on a hard drive, how do i do that? can different version be placed in a subdirectory? I am very dumb, pls be specific, just as the way how Barry put it on his website.

thanks

don570

#600 Post by don570 »

tigs wrote: I want to install multiple copies on a hard drive
There is an explanation here.....
http://bkhome.org/easy/how-to-install-e ... drive.html

The important thing is the editing of the boot specs file.

tigs

#601 Post by tigs »

don570 wrote:

That is what I followed. What I wanted is to add another version on top of the one, making it a dual boot, for example, if want to have both pyro and xenius there.

Cu Chulinux

#602 Post by Cu Chulinux »

Barry, when I upgraded I didn't expect it to default to modesetting but I was surprised that it defaulted to intel uga when I was using intel sna previously. I figured that it would continue with the same settings as the previous version before upgrading. The icon set also changed back to green which also was surprising. Nothing else that I changed was changed back.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#603 Post by BarryK »

rerwin wrote:Thanks for that explanation. I changed the sdb1 initrd.gz init script to wait up to 30 seconds. In 5 reboots, 4 took 9 seconds, but 1, 18! So, maybe a 10- or 20-second maximum wait would be safer than 8.
Ok, I have changed it to 20.

Weird that it should take so long.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#604 Post by BarryK »

tigs wrote:
don570 wrote:

That is what I followed. What I wanted is to add another version on top of the one, making it a dual boot, for example, if want to have both pyro and xenius there.
That link has some description of reFind. You can modify the menu, to either automatically discover other OSs, or enter them manually.

If you have another Linux installed into another partition, reFind should be able to find it automatically.

Trying to recall... there is a caveat with reFind. If you have another Linux installed in another partition, you will need to copy the kernel (and initrd.gz if used) into the boot partition (the fat partition where reFind is installed), and give them unique names. Then maybe create a manual menu entry.

Cu Chulinux

#605 Post by Cu Chulinux »

Tigs, you should be able to boot multiple copies by having separate subdirectories for the boot files (editing the EFI/BOOT/refind.conf to match) and having separate partitions for the two versions.

I have both Easy and Quirky booting from EFI menu doing essentially this (and Tiny Core too), except I left the Easy boot files in root directory and use a subdir for Quirky. I just don't have Quirky running stable enough.

I also have puppies running from my Windows partition using Lick.