Re: Where is DevX 2.2.5?

#2236 Post by BarryK »

rwishlaw wrote:Where is DevX 2.2.5?
Sorry, forgot it. Uploading it now.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2237 Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote:-Getting an error message when using petget relating to petget line 386 - error was :no such process;
Thanks for reporting that, fixed. It was only a warning msg, so I sent it to /dev/null

Billtoo

EasyOS Buster 2.2.5, January 22, 2020

#2238 Post by Billtoo »

Installed to a 32gb sdhc card plugged into a usb card reader, pc is a Compaq
Presario:

Computer
Processor 2x Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz
Memory 4037MB (375MB used)
Machine Type Physical machine
Operating System Easy Buster64

Display
Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer NVC1
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation

Audio Devices
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

OpenGL
Vendor nouveau
Renderer NVC1
Version 4.3 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 18.3.6
Direct Rendering Y_es

Sound is from a pair of speakers plugged into the headphone jack.

No problems so far,
Thanks.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(65.32 KiB) Downloaded 855 times

ndujoe1

#2239 Post by ndujoe1 »

Upgraded to 2.2.5. Easy, painless, and quick. Once the manual steps have been melded into an complete GUI. it will identify this OS by its moniker: Easy OS for new users.

Sage

#2240 Post by Sage »

Sound works from a pair of speakers plugged into the headphone jack.
Smart move bt ! After all we don't want a Sonos fiasco around here.

lp-dolittle

drive icons; applet tray

#2241 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ Barry

Hi Barry,

as far as I can see, the EasyOS-2.2.5 desktop behaves like its predecessor. The active Ethernet applet symbol still is displayed as crossed, and inserting/removing the same USB flash sticks on the same laptop which I had used for previous tests results in the same somewhat confusing behaviour of gparted 1.0.0.

Especially USB2 sticks containing an iso-image do not appear spontaneously on the screen after insertion, yet they do so after restarting the Xserver. Then their partitions can be mounted via mouse clicks and the correct content is shown, while gparted 1.0.0. only reports an iso9660 filesystem which it considers 'not-mounted'. See also my post from January 12th on page 146of this thread.

Was I wrong to expect that the 'Improved hardware profiling for Xorg' might eliminate some of these issues?

kind regards

Billtoo

EasyOS Buster 2.2.5, January 22, 2020

#2242 Post by Billtoo »

Installed to a usb 3.0 ssd to use with HP mini desktop pc:

Computer
Processor 2x Intel(R) Celeron(R) 2957U @ 1.40GHz
Memory 1892MB (274MB used)
Operating System Easy Buster64
Date/Time Fri Jan 24 11:53:08 2020

Display
Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) Haswell Mobile
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation

Works great.
Thanks.

Edit:

I used this install for hours with no problems until I booted with the option
disable the drives, it locked up after running firefox for a few minutes.

I moved it to my Acer laptop (6gb ram) and when running with the same disable
drives option it worked without any problems.
Attachments
Screenshot2.jpg
(121.07 KiB) Downloaded 492 times
Screenshot.jpg
(48.8 KiB) Downloaded 640 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: drive icons; applet tray

#2243 Post by BarryK »

lp-dolittle wrote:Especially USB2 sticks containing an iso-image do not appear spontaneously on the screen after insertion, yet they do so after restarting the Xserver. Then their partitions can be mounted via mouse clicks and the correct content is shown, while gparted 1.0.0. only reports an iso9660 filesystem which it considers 'not-mounted'. See also my post from January 12th on page 146of this thread.

Was I wrong to expect that the 'Improved hardware profiling for Xorg' might eliminate some of these issues?
No, hardware-profiling would not affect those issues. That is only for handling changed video and sound hardware.

I have tested plugging in a usb-stick with hybrid-iso in it, and both partitions appear immediately, and can be mounted.

I am running the 4.19.97 kernel right now, so trying on my laptop running easy Buster 2.2.3 with 5.4.10 kernel... yep both partition appear immediately, and can be mounted.

Regarding Gparted, well that is out of my hands. It is an issue for the Gparted developer. But it may be deliberate, as the small vfat partition in the hybrid-iso is not really available for Gparted to do anything with. It is built-in when the iso was created, inside the iso, and Gparted cannot do anything with it, so ignores it.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: EasyOS Buster 2.2.5, January 22, 2020

#2244 Post by BarryK »

Billtoo wrote: I used this install for hours with no problems until I booted with the option disable the drives, it locked up after running firefox for a few minutes.
Thanks for the report.

With that installation, is the lockup repeatable? With the 5.4.x kernel, I was getting seemingly random lockups, not with the disable-drives bootup, just the normal bootup.

Note, I have been running with the simplified 4.19.97 kernel, rock-solid for 4 days now:

https://bkhome.org/news/202001/simplifi ... icely.html

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2245 Post by BarryK »

Project "EasyPup", it was an amusing diversion:

https://bkhome.org/news/202001/easypup- ... -past.html

Billtoo

Re: EasyOS Buster 2.2.5, January 22, 2020

#2246 Post by Billtoo »

BarryK wrote:
Billtoo wrote: I used this install for hours with no problems until I booted with the option disable the drives, it locked up after running firefox for a few minutes.
Thanks for the report.

With that installation, is the lockup repeatable? With the 5.4.x kernel, I was getting seemingly random lockups, not with the disable-drives bootup, just the normal bootup.

Note, I have been running with the simplified 4.19.97 kernel, rock-solid for 4 days now:

https://bkhome.org/news/202001/simplifi ... icely.html
When firefox seemed to lockup on the 2gb hp I pressed the power button for a couple of seconds and it didn't power off but there was a message from firefox asking if I wanted to refresh the tab, did that but it ran poorly (stop and start) so eventually had to do a hard reset.
Hovering the mouse over the storage icon in the tray show something like 2.5gb free of 2.8gb with the drives disabled.
The laptop with 6gb ram worked perfectly (showed around 7.5 of 7.8 when) using the disabled drives option.

I've since done a new install to the SSD and am using it on another computer.
When I booted the new install it wouldn't boot but gave a message about a problem with the file system,the computer still had my original 2.2.5 install on a flash drive plugged in.
I shut down the computer and it dawned on me to unplug the flash drive, it then booted the SSD normally.

Thanks.

ozsouth

#2247 Post by ozsouth »

@BarryK - I have been using a 5.4.7 64bit kernel as my base for 2 weeks with no issues. Had trouble with kernels prior & also 5.4.10 - 14. 5.4.7 contained a lot of fixes, & 5.4.9 had significant changes & was superseded on its release day. I'm currently trialling 5.4.8 (ok for several hours - will see what a couple of days brings).
EDIT: 5.4.8 satisfactory, so uploaded.
Last edited by ozsouth on Wed 29 Jan 2020, 00:49, edited 1 time in total.

bobtron

EasyOS 2.2.x

#2248 Post by bobtron »

Greetings...G'day from Illinois land...am currently running EOS 2.2.3 and it works very well {no BT devices}...but will upgrade soon when i get some BT stuff to setup/test.
pardon me to de-rail this thread, but has anyone got the Brave Browser {www.brave.com} to play in EOS?...it is chromium based with very effective ad-blocking and tracking blockers...go to to their "download for linux" and it is CLI from terminal to use "sudo apt" (ubuntu instructions)...works well with my currently running MX19 linux on USB stick...very fast and no BS ads.. check it out.
I am interested in getting a Brave browser .sfs because my work colleague has it running on windows and his android phone...he would be very interested to try EOS linux because he is very into crypto currency trading{bitcoin...etherium..etc...i dunno}
He wants to boot into RAM and run Brave browser in a container
to do his business...any help out there?...TNX in advance

lp-dolittle

usb-sticks

#2249 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ Barry

Hi Barry,

supposing that all your tests with usb-sticks containig hybrid iso-images were usb3-sticks, I conclude that the spontaneous access to these drives mainly depends on the stick's quality and on the pc/laptop interface's specifications.

As for Gparted, a question remains. I'm still astonished that Gparted 0.25.0 is able to handle hybrid iso-images correctly (showing the partition details), while newer versions 'lost' this capability.

kind regards

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: usb-sticks

#2250 Post by BarryK »

lp-dolittle wrote:@ Barry

Hi Barry,

supposing that all your tests with usb-sticks containig hybrid iso-images were usb3-sticks, I conclude that the spontaneous access to these drives mainly depends on the stick's quality and on the pc/laptop interface's specifications.

As for Gparted, a question remains. I'm still astonished that Gparted 0.25.0 is able to handle hybrid iso-images correctly (showing the partition details), while newer versions 'lost' this capability.

kind regards
The hybrid-iso was on an old 4GB Toshiba usb2 stick. Plugging it into a usb2 or a usb3 socket, same result, works.

The laptop is a Apollo Lake CPU, 4GB RAM, passively cooled. just a cheapy.

Something very strange is happening in your case. It seems like the usb interface is not being properly recognised by the kernel, that is, a hardware incompatibility.

Yeah, it is odd that the old Gparted shows the correct partition details.
My guess is that the developer of gparted has done this deliberately though, with the later versions.

MerlinW

Easy-OS I

#2251 Post by MerlinW »

Easy-OS Installation Notes

As a general rule I do not enable Bluetooth software on any of my devices.
I use the wireless adapters on all my laptops to connect to the Internet.
There are lots of options software packages I have not tested

I downloaded Easy-OS 2.2.5 and installed it on an 8GB generic flash card. The flashcard was installed in an OTG/USB multifunction Card Reader/Writer. The computer I used was a Lenovo T60-1952-BQ5.It has a T7200 CPU Core 2 Duo processor, 3GB ram, and an Intel GPU.
I moved the OTG/USB multifunction Card Reader/Writer to another T60-1952-D6U same processor, 4GB ram, and an AMD GPU.
Then I moved the OTG/USB multifunction Card Reader/Writer to a Lenovo T400-6474-WT9 with a T9950 processor, 4GB ram, and an Intel GPU.
Then I moved the OTG/USB multifunction Card Reader/Writer to a Lenovo T410-2537-LY3 I5 processor, with 8GB ram and an Intel GPU.
I noticed on all of the laptops the audio was lower than I expected when playing youtube videos.
The T410 did not recognize the Intel wireless adapter. I have had this wireless adapter problem before and have written instructions to fix the Intel wireless adapter not found problem.
Everything else I tried worked flawlessly.

Steps to fix Intel wireless adapter not found in Easy-OS

Step 1 Using a different computer (or O.S) Download the non-free iwlwifi-6000-4.ucode from:

https://github.com/OpenELEC/iwlwifi-fir ... 00-4.ucode

Step 2. Copy the downloaded file to the Easy-OS desktop.
Step 3. Click on the active drive partition on the desktop (in my case sdb2).
Step 4. Navigate to mnt/ active drive partition.
Step 5. Click on up arrow to navigate to /mnt.
Step 6. Click on up arrow to navigate to /.
Step 7. Click on the lib sub-directory.
Step 8. Click on lib sub-directory to navigate to firmware.
Step 9. Click on the firmware sub-directory to open it.
Step 10. Copy the downloaded file iwlwifi-6000-4.ucode to lib\firmware.
Step 11. Reboot the computer.
Step 12. Easy-OS should now automatically recognize the wireless adapter.
Step 13. Click on connect and follow the wizards instructions.

lp-dolittle

usb-stick recognition

#2252 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ Barry

Hi Barry,

thank you for the helpful feedback!

Just to let you know, in the case you are interested, I send to you a copy of the used Dell laptop's hardware info-report.

kind regards
Attachments
hardinfo_report.html.gz
(55.94 KiB) Downloaded 83 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2253 Post by BarryK »

BarryK wrote:Project "EasyPup", it was an amusing diversion:

https://bkhome.org/news/202001/easypup- ... -past.html
Couldn't resist, had to fix some of the bugs, running nicely now, but there are still some issues. Now version 2.2.6:

https://bkhome.org/news/202001/some-easypup-fixes.html

Billtoo

Easypup 2.2.6

#2254 Post by Billtoo »

Installed easypup to a 32gb flash drive:

Computer
Processor 4x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Memory 8164MB (314MB used)
Operating System Puppy Buster64
Date/Time Wed Jan 29 01:51:23 2020

OpenGL
Vendor nouveau
Renderer NVC1
Version 4.3 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 18.3.6
Direct Rendering Y_es

Updated ppm and installed kpat and a couple of other applications.
Using a 32" TV as a monitor,using analog for sound from external speakers.

Easy 2.2.5 won't boot on this computer but EasyPup 2.2.6 works well so far :)

Thanks
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(78.1 KiB) Downloaded 1080 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Easypup 2.2.6

#2255 Post by BarryK »

Billtoo wrote:Easy 2.2.5 won't boot on this computer but EasyPup 2.2.6 works well so far :)
Interesting! Probably it is because of the 4.19.97 kernel.