EasyOS version 2.3.2, June 22, 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: ssd install fails

#2041 Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote:Can I have a copy of your new kernel's DOTconfig file please, maybe scanning through it I can see something admiss or newly added.
It is in /etc/modules. Either boot 2.1.9.1, or click it's easy.sfs to open it, to access that folder.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

mistfire

#2042 Post by mistfire »

@scsijon

Also you may take a look at /proc/config.gz for kernel config

rufwoof

#2043 Post by rufwoof »

Dynamic device name association is a pain in Linux. Never used to be that way and still isn't in other *nix. sda and sdb for instance can randomly swap at times, they're not fixed in partition table rather the kernel maps device names to device numbers on a first come type basis.

The common suggestion is to use udev to consistently map particular device names to device numbers, or even more commonly to use uuid's (but they even change such as after modifying the partition table). Or even set a label for a device and mount using that label mount -L usb1 /mnt/usb1 (where a usb's label had been set to be usb1). In some cases however udev may not be available, so, and as I'm lazy, what I do is to use flag files that I (script) checks during mounting and allocates to a particular device name. Create (touch) a file in the root folder (/redusb for instance) of the usb/hdd/whatever and then map (mount) that to /mnt/redusb, so then scripts can be coded to use that fixed device name. Could use labels instead, but I just like it that way. Then if a script that requires my red coloured usb stick isn't plugged in when the script is being run it will report back something like /mnt/redusb/.... not found, prompting me to find and plug in/mount that particular usb. Which if the red or whatever colour name matches to a airfix type painted dot on the usb stick makes locating the particular usb stick out of a draw of such sticks relatively quick/easy. In other cases, and more usually, where a particular usb stick isn't needed, just any one will do, then I'll mount that to /mnt/usb1 ... or whatever. I have three usb ports on my laptop, one on the side that I mentally label usb1, two on the back, of which one is a USB3, so I mentally label those as usb2 and usb3 (where usb3 is the USB3 port). According to which usb stick I've plugged into which usb port I'll mount using those names.

In Puppy that automates/gui's mounting its more awkward. Fine for me as mostly I cli/manually mount things. gui for me is mostly just for browser (chrome), for most other things I'm using terminal (mc is a great file manager that also serves as a text editor and program launcher - still superior IMO). Along with screen/tmux and often my boot comprises multiple systems (sshfs mounted android phone and remote sshfs server - so moving files between phone/laptop/server is simple), ssh connection to ssh server (running irc, email etc.), android phone paste screen so I can flip to that and paste copied text (links whatever) directly into my android phones copy buffer (ready to be pasted wherever on the phone). In short I guess I opine that Puppy has gone too far down the Windows/gui type path that is making it more bloated and less (easily) functional. Becoming too much like Windows.

In Fatdog for instance I use a cut-down Bulldog (Fatdog's initramfs cli), but where dropbear has been swapped out for full Openssh. With just that booted alone (15MB vmlinuz size) I'm wifi net connected and can ssh into my preferred ssh server (hashbang) and access email, irc ...etc. from there. I also store my calendar there and use calcurse - so that's equally available from other devices (phone etc.) and being text can even be manually read/edited from anywhere (relatively simple text file of one line records of entries).

mc as the file manager, text editor and program launcher (F2 'User Menu') - and that runs equally as well/consistently whether being run locally (laptop) or remotely (mc running on hashbang).

Chrome for browser (laptop and phone) and ability to copy/move files (or copy/paste text) simply between those separate devices. For chrome on the desktop however I do have to load up full Fatdog (which also includes other gui programs such as word processor ...etc.). Another useful feature of that arrangement is that I can route all traffic via hashbang, i.e. have it set as a socks5 proxy so all of chrome traffic routes via a ssh tunnel between me (in London) and my ssh server (in USA) - so my ISP doesn't see what I'm doing, and remote sites don't see my actual IP. Yes mc is a learning curve, but a relatively low bar to hurdle, and once mastered has a low cost for the benefits it provides IMO. More so in this era of multi-devices (distributed systems).
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

tecknet

EasyOS 1.2.9.1 - 2.1.9 macbook pro /air

#2044 Post by tecknet »

Hello, excellent OS!

I'm having problems booting EasyOS 1.2.9.1 - 2.1.9 in a macbook air 2011 and macbook pro.

EASYPC24937 login: root (automatic login)
Waiting for kernel video drivers to load: i915
waiting... cursor blinking... nothing! X11 can't start.

commandline mode working.

lp-dolittle

EasyOS on MacBook

#2045 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ tecknet

If only the CLI is working after the EasyOS installation on your MacBook, did you try to run xorgwizard, in order to find a suitable video-driver?

kind regards

FeodorF

EasyOS

#2046 Post by FeodorF »

While using Buster 2.1.9.1 don't forget to give PaleMoon a try.

http://linux.palemoon.org/datastore/rel ... _64.tar.xz

Move the extracted palemoon-28.8.0 to /usr/lib and the 'palemoon' binary to your desktop and you are good to go.

Sage

#2047 Post by Sage »

did you try to run xorgwizard
...and xwin rather than std. Linux startx. [Did one of the Puppy developers recently include the startx option as well? FD64?]. This query regularly crops up with newcomers.

FeodorF

Buster 2.1.9.1 [SOLVED]

#2048 Post by FeodorF »

One thing to mention right here while using a USB stick with 'Buster 2.1.9.1' on an external USB2 hub: "using the USB hub instead of the motherboards USB port will drop the throughput by about 50 %."

[SOLVED]
Had two broken USB 3.0 sticks in use.
Last edited by FeodorF on Mon 30 Dec 2019, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.

scsijon

Buster 1.2.9.1 notes

#2049 Post by scsijon »

Been working through my problems.

- Couldn't see anything wrong in the kernel config file to worry about, although there are a couple of settings for cache that could be turned on if wanted.

- For the moment pyro 1.2.9.1 i'm leaving alone as another is looking at the problem with me. They are also having the same problem, even on a different ssd drive laptop brand. I have lent them mine for comparisons, they live nearby and we have worked together before.

- With a second similar laptop with ssd and Buster 2.1.9.1 (which installed properly first go to my dissapointment) I'm coming across a repeating error in xerrs.log
/usr/local/pup_event/netchg: script entered
however at present the net is off, so I don't think it should be even running at this point?

- When I get my first laptop back I shall try installing buster 2.1.9.1, if that works then it's a pyro related problem, otherwise i'll take it it has something to do with the chipset as i've changed the ssd and the problem is still appearing.

- And, i've come across (as others have) a number of dying memory sticks with dd and easydd no longer working, It was pointed out that I should try running wipefs (it's part of util-linux and needs to be set to execute to use individually). Best setting is

Code: Select all

wipefs --all /dev/$drive-to-be wiped$
Doesn't work every time but fixes problems relating to the directory structures, mbr's and the like, things that even a device>create partition Table won't fix.

lp-dolittle

usb-hub

#2050 Post by lp-dolittle »

@ Feodorf

What makes you think of an EasyOS-related issue, as for the flash stick's 'variable' transfer rate?

What are the usb specifications of the computer- and the usb hub-interfaces (usb 2; usb 3 ...)?

What kind of usb flash stick are you using?

kind regards

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Buster 1.2.9.1 notes

#2051 Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote:- For the moment pyro 1.2.9.1 i'm leaving alone as another is looking at the problem with me. They are also having the same problem, even on a different ssd drive laptop brand. I have lent them mine for comparisons, they live nearby and we have worked together before.
I have compiled the 5.4.3 kernel, will do some testing to see if can get that drive device name change when using easydd.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2052 Post by BarryK »

scsijon has reported a problem with drive name changes, 5.4 kernel, which is a serious issue. We will investigate that.

Regarding audio not working on my laptop, 5.4 kernel, I have now got it to work, see appendage to this blog post:

https://bkhome.org/news/201912/sound-fi ... -lake.html

...feedback from Pierre, this looks like a bug introduced with 5.4 kernel.

I have put my "fix" into woofQ, in rootfs-skeleton/etc/modules.d/intel-snd-fix.conf, which is fine for me, but what about people who have an actual Sky Lake CPU?

...will my fix break their audio?

If you have a PC/laptop with Sky Lake CPU, you could find out. Create that file and reboot.

Terry H

#2053 Post by Terry H »

Thanks Barry for another great addition to EasyOS.

A new install of Easy Buster 2.1.9.1 on a 4GB MicroSD Card via USB Card reader (I've misplaced my other card with easy on it :( ).

Install created using dd from puppy. All went well and Buster 2.1.9.1 is running well after initial setup.

Running Buster with drives disabled running well. The lockdown feature has fixed a small anomaly in earlier versions. On my laptop when the lid is closed, the light on the card reader goes out. when the lid is opened the light comes back on.

On previous versions of easy this would remount the USB drive, with different mount points. The 2 drives on the USB which were /mnt/sdb1-2, would be mounted as /mnt/sdc1-2.

On Easy 2.1.9.1 the light comes on, but the drives are no longer being mounted.

# blkid
/dev/zram0: LABEL="EASYOSZRAM" UUID="caba4977-4aca-43e3-a609-453a4d3aa4a6" TYPE="ext2"
/dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
#

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2054 Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote:Can't seem to install pyro 1.2.9.1 via EasyDD frontend for dd to a Lenovo Thinkpad with a 128gb sata3 ssd in it.

>Clean ssd (nothing installed);
>Created a fresh gpt drivetable;
>formatted as a single partition to test (ok);
>Started EasyDD and picked the 1.2.9.1 ..gz file.

It said it was installing(, in the reverse order to start with)? But at the end, when it said it was finished, I noticed the drive letters for the boot usb had changed from sdb to sdc and only the sdc2 was still on the screen????.

A reboot back into 1.2.9.1, and gparted showed that it was a blank drive (no partitions), any sugestions where to go from here, or have I found you another bug.
I have created version 1.2.10, with 5.4.3 kernel. I went through the exercise of re-installing Easy to the ssd on my Mele mini-PC.

I repeated the steps that you have documented, HOWEVER, creating a gpt table and a partition is a pointless exercise.

easydd writes to the entire drive, it will replace whatever was put there before (it will replace the gpt and any partitions).

However, to reproduce what you did, I followed your steps, created the gpt then a single partition, then ran easydd and wrote easy-1.2.10-amd64.img.gz to the drive (sda).

This creates sda1 and sda2. sda1 is a 639MB vfat partition, sda2 is 640MB ext4.

The usb-stick that I had booted off was sdb, and that did not change.

In other words, it all worked as expected.

Drive letters should never change while a drive is plugged in. The only reason that I can think of the drive letter changing, is if you had unplugged the usb-stick then replugged it, or, the kernel thought you had -- which would be a very serious kernel bug.

scsijon

#2055 Post by scsijon »

BarryK wrote:
scsijon wrote:Can't seem to install pyro 1.2.9.1 via EasyDD frontend for dd to a Lenovo Thinkpad with a 128gb sata3 ssd in it.

>Clean ssd (nothing installed);
>Created a fresh gpt drivetable;
>formatted as a single partition to test (ok);
>Started EasyDD and picked the 1.2.9.1 ..gz file.

It said it was installing(, in the reverse order to start with)? But at the end, when it said it was finished, I noticed the drive letters for the boot usb had changed from sdb to sdc and only the sdc2 was still on the screen????.

A reboot back into 1.2.9.1, and gparted showed that it was a blank drive (no partitions), any sugestions where to go from here, or have I found you another bug.
I have created version 1.2.10, with 5.4.3 kernel. I went through the exercise of re-installing Easy to the ssd on my Mele mini-PC.

I repeated the steps that you have documented, HOWEVER, creating a gpt table and a partition is a pointless exercise.

easydd writes to the entire drive, it will replace whatever was put there before (it will replace the gpt and any partitions).

However, to reproduce what you did, I followed your steps, created the gpt then a single partition, then ran easydd and wrote easy-1.2.10-amd64.img.gz to the drive (sda).

This creates sda1 and sda2. sda1 is a 639MB vfat partition, sda2 is 640MB ext4.

The usb-stick that I had booted off was sdb, and that did not change.

In other words, it all worked as expected.

Drive letters should never change while a drive is plugged in. The only reason that I can think of the drive letter changing, is if you had unplugged the usb-stick then replugged it, or, the kernel thought you had -- which would be a very serious kernel bug.
thanks,

I did say it was a new ssd and as usual I tested that it worked by adding a partition table and formatted it, if that hadn't worked it wouldn't have helped trying to install to it.

I will try 1.2.10, if available, when I get my notepad back this coming weekend and ask alex to try it on his also, And no, I hadn't unplugged anything between times, i'd even tried the same install with easydd four times with fresh copies the last two to brand new usb sticks in case that was the problem.

foxpup

Sky Lake CPU ...will my fix break their audio?

#2056 Post by foxpup »

BarryK wrote:https://bkhome.org/news/201912/sound-fi ... -lake.html

but what about people who have an actual Sky Lake CPU?

...will my fix break their audio?

If you have a PC/laptop with Sky Lake CPU, you could find out. Create that file and reboot.
I have Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz on a lenovo ideapad laptop. Seems to be Sky Lake :shock:
I haven't done EasyOS since 1.2.3. Okay, I like Pyro better than Buster, so here I go:

Frugal install on SSD/HD is very easy, like a real Puppy. Just remember to put the right BOOT_SPECS into initrd.
Boots fine (with grub2 on UEFI), speed test gives 11-12.
Wifi configuration is easy with nmtui.

lsmod gives
snd_hda_intel 32768 1
snd_soc_skl 118784 0
in this order.
Music plays nicely. No problem.

I put

softdep snd_soc_skl pre: snd_hda_intel
in intel-snd-fix.conf in /etc/modprobe.d/
(not "modules.d")

and reboot.
Music plays. No problem.
lsmod:
snd_soc_skl 118784 0
snd_hda_intel 32768 1
:-)
The order does not seem to matter here.

Very very nice to try out EasyOS again.
It has the feel of Wary, from the hands and the brain of the master.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Sky Lake CPU ...will my fix break their audio?

#2057 Post by BarryK »

foxpup wrote: lsmod gives
snd_hda_intel 32768 1
snd_soc_skl 118784 0
in this order.
Music plays nicely. No problem.

I put

softdep snd_soc_skl pre: snd_hda_intel
in intel-snd-fix.conf in /etc/modprobe.d/
(not "modules.d")

and reboot.
Music plays. No problem.
lsmod:
snd_soc_skl 118784 0
snd_hda_intel 32768 1
:-)
The order does not seem to matter here.
Thanks for testing, that is good to know.

scsijon

gksu

#2058 Post by scsijon »

This may be of interest https://itsfoss.com/gksu-replacement-ubuntu/ and of course the homepage is https://www.nongnu.org/gksu/ which explains a lot.

Can I take it the pyro files 1.2.10 are coming somewhere soon.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: gksu

#2059 Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote:Can I take it the pyro files 1.2.10 are coming somewhere soon.
Yes, I was hoping to release 1.3 and 2.2 before Christmas. With the 5.4.3 kernel.

Note, I just did a post to blog about the 5.4.3 kernel.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: gksu

#2060 Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote:This may be of interest https://itsfoss.com/gksu-replacement-ubuntu/ and of course the homepage is https://www.nongnu.org/gksu/ which explains a lot.
Thanks for the links. I see gksu is gone from Debian Buster also.